Manual trans ATVs

/ Manual trans ATVs #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
Several years back, I traded my Arctic Cat 400 for an Arctic Cat 700 EFI Special Edition... worst mistake I ever made.

My 400 was a manual shift with 3 ranges (High, Low, Super Low), had soft suspension that rode like a Cadillac, and was light enough to be nimble/manageable. I once rolled it and was able to get out from beneath it and go about my day. If the same accident happened on the 700, I'd have been a dead man.

Arctic Cat doesn't even offer a manual anymore, and everything I've found with independent rear suspension is sprung harder than a one ton pickup truck.

Can anybody help? I don't care of I have to buy some off brand China/India... ****, I'd even buy Pakistani of I could get what I want. I want a plush ride (soft springs and IRS), no bigger than 450, manual trans with low range (3 range super low preferred)... basically, I want my old 2003 Arctic Cat 400 with modern EFI.

Any suggestions?

/ Manual trans ATVs #2  
Only ATV with a manual tranny these days I know of is the Honda Rancher. 420cc and probably the most dependable ATV ever made. Not sure if they have a low range in them though - never been on one - just know that a lot of the big farms/ranches around here use them and wouldn't use anything else. 5 speed manual tranny with reverse.

/ Manual trans ATVs #3  
Ever ridden a Honda Rancher? The new dual clutch autos give you a true geared transmission that can shift automatically or you can shift it manually using the push buttons. IRS and rides well. 2?21 FourTrax Rancher FEATURES - Honda
The dual clutch transmission gives you a true low range as well - it has double the gears of a regular manual transmission.

The other Rancher mentioned above is a great bike too. The true manual has solid rear axle but rides well.

Last edited:
   / Manual trans ATVs #4  
I really like my 2000ish Honda Foreman 450 4x4. It was the ES (electric shift) that uses two buttons by thumb on the left handlebar to shift. That was always troublesome so I welded on a 12mm wrench that I bent to the stubby output from the trans case and made it a foot shift lol.

They do make a foot shift version, but harder to find than the ES probably because they are amazing, reliable machines that no one want to sell!

It is a solid rear axle, shaft drive. Doesn't have a lot of suspension flex but is super stable and does everything I ask of it. The seat is plush so it's a joy to ride :)

Much safer feeling on hills than a big independent suspension Yamaha Grizzly (600?) I test rode.

They are full time 4x4 so steering might be tough for people with less upper body strength.

For farm work/maintenance, I think the older generation solid axle Foreman 450 4x4's are a solid choice. I paid $2600 for mine 2 yrs ago.

/ Manual trans ATVs #5  
It would be hard for me to consider any other machine if I had to replace this one.

20200829_135435.jpg
20190929_161450.jpg

/ Manual trans ATVs #6  
The old Honda's are the closest match but have their quirks.Most if not all but Honda have gone to CVT type transmissions,few people want a manual.The electric shift is a problem at least in cold climates.Even Honda has gone to IRS for most machines.Solid axel manual shift are a thing of the past.

/ Manual trans ATVs #7  
The old Honda's are the closest match but have their quirks.Most if not all but Honda have gone to CVT type transmissions,few people want a manual.The electric shift is a problem at least in cold climates.Even Honda has gone to IRS for most machines.Solid axel manual shift are a thing of the past.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: CVT's have been working fine in ATV's and UTV's for many years. No they're not perfect, but still pretty darn good.

/ Manual trans ATVs #8  
It is a solid rear axle, shaft drive. Doesn't have a lot of suspension flex but is super stable and does everything I ask of it. The seat is plush so it's a joy to ride :)
Much safer feeling on hills than a big independent suspension Yamaha Grizzly (600?) I test rode.

Your feeling about the independent suspension was correct. Very unstable in off-camber situations. I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450 that I've been riding for 14 years now - I've rolled it 3 times now despite being old and careful. One of my riding partners has a Honda Rancher with the solid rear axle and he has no problems going on side slopes I would not consider.

/ Manual trans ATVs #9  
The Honda Fourtrax Rancher would probably be a good fit. You can get it with independent rear but they ride nice and you can shift them. Plus they are cheap compared to the bigger models