Manual trans ATVs

/ Manual trans ATVs #11  
The old Suzuki Vinson and Eiger each had the option for manual shift, but had a solid rear axle. I had a Vinson from 2007-2020 and it was very reliable, never had carb problems (used stabilizer for years then non-ethanol gas) and was a very good work quad.

/ Manual trans ATVs #13  
I had a Yamaha Big Bear which was a 5 speed (I think) manual. It was a real workhorse but now that I have an automatic CVT Polaris 570 Sportsman 2up Touring model, I'll never go back to a manual trans.

/ Manual trans ATVs #14  
I paid a small fortune to have the Snowmobile Tranny rebuilt on a slightly used Diesel Mule. And first time out (when new) in maybe three or four inches of snow, I could smell the belt smoking and had to shift to low. Is there an issue with just my MULE? Maybe. But, I for one am not impressed with a belt drive tranny on a "work" vehicle. Getting at the clutch or even just belt is also a hellish job! If it was cheap to replace and easy to get at, I'd say, fine, it'a a cheap easy solution for transmitting power, but this isn't the case.

/ Manual trans ATVs #15  
I paid a small fortune to have the Snowmobile Tranny rebuilt on a slightly used Diesel Mule. And first time out (when new) in maybe three or four inches of snow, I could smell the belt smoking and had to shift to low. Is there an issue with just my MULE? Maybe. But, I for one am not impressed with a belt drive tranny on a "work" vehicle. Getting at the clutch or even just belt is also a hellish job! If it was cheap to replace and easy to get at, I'd say, fine, it'a a cheap easy solution for transmitting power, but this isn't the case.
You have to "choose wisely" grasshopper! lol

Yamaha has a belt, BUT it's always under tension, and it doesn't "smoke", it just works and last about forever!!

Yamaha has a separate "oil bath" clutch, for the clutch, not a sno-mobile system that smokes belts!!

I've pulled big loads of stones and even tractors with my old Grizzly and I've never had the belt slip in any way, not even one time, and it's still on it's original belt!

SR

/ Manual trans ATVs #16  
Mule, Gator with no FWD, and Polaris, with no Rear Dif, was all that was available as I recall back in 2000.

Having the great pleasure I do with my E-Gator, if I had to get a 4wd UTV today, I might consider the electric Polaris, I just wish it had more utilitarian styling.

/ Manual trans ATVs #17  

What model Mule w/diesel do you have? I know they make several. Even the old 2510 could be had with a diesel. Just wondering if it's the DX or DXT?

/ Manual trans ATVs #18  
I had the old (original?) 2510 Diesel. The wonderful model where the passenger can stretch out.

Noisy and full of vibration, I do gotta say, give those glow plugs a few seconds to do their thing and that engine jumps to life pretty much as fast as you can release the key.

/ Manual trans ATVs #19  

I learned the hard way - after changing two belts - unless you are just driving at speed on flat ground with no real load on the drivetrain, to always use low range! Whether poking around in the mountains at slow speeds or pulling a trailer on my place, ALWAYS use low range. Belt will last forever that way.

/ Manual trans ATVs #20  
I had the 96 Artic Cat 454 with rocker shift and low range it was a good machine, then in 2004 I bought a 650 atv, low range was like high range in my 96 454, good for riding but no good for pulling trailers.
bearcat454.jpg
jNOvh49h.jpg