Manual trans ATVs

/ Manual trans ATVs #21  
I am looking forward to getting the 85 Honda Big Red 250 from camp brought back home. It will be perfect for maneuvering through the back bush, and with the geared transmission, always being in the right gear for towing whatever I want it to with no belt concern.

/ Manual trans ATVs #22  
D6492D56-DF8A-4588-9D05-9277227AAF50.jpeg

You can buy a Honda Rancher 420 footshift, a Honda Foreman 520 footshift, or a Rubicon 520 footshift. Of the three, only the Rubicon is IRS.

I sold my 2012 Polaris Sportsman 400HO (6,400km, 4,000 miles trail riding, snow plowing), which I bought new, and bought a 2021 Honda Rancher 420 footshift. I absolutely love it, the solid rear axle takes the corners better than any IRS quad. The ride is fine, actually prefer it over IRS.

I went footshift, did not want electric shift because they can have issues with angle sensor and such. I let the dealer do the first service (oil change, valve adjustment), was too cold out.

After owning my Rancher, there is no way I will ever go CVT again.

Plus, it's a Honda - will run forever.

Several years back, I traded my Arctic Cat 400 for an Arctic Cat 700 EFI Special Edition... worst mistake I ever made.

My 400 was a manual shift with 3 ranges (High, Low, Super Low), had soft suspension that rode like a Cadillac, and was light enough to be nimble/manageable. I once rolled it and was able to get out from beneath it and go about my day. If the same accident happened on the 700, I'd have been a dead man.

Arctic Cat doesn't even offer a manual anymore, and everything I've found with independent rear suspension is sprung harder than a one ton pickup truck.

Can anybody help? I don't care of I have to buy some off brand China/India... ****, I'd even buy Pakistani of I could get what I want. I want a plush ride (soft springs and IRS), no bigger than 450, manual trans with low range (3 range super low preferred)... basically, I want my old 2003 Arctic Cat 400 with modern EFI.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
   / Manual trans ATVs #23  
I’ve got a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. I’ve plowed snow with it every year since buying it, plus a lot of summer work and playing around. The only thing I’ve ever changed are fluids and battery. I forgot it even has a belt. I couldn’t ask for any more from a quad.

/ Manual trans ATVs #24  
05 Honda Rancher with foot shift and winch. I used to plow the driveway with it with chains for about 10 years. I think i have replaced two starters and that is it. Just upgraded to a Kubota 2601. You can't kill those Honda's.

/ Manual trans ATVs #25  
I’ve got a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. I’ve plowed snow with it every year since buying it, plus a lot of summer work and playing around. The only thing I’ve ever changed are fluids and battery. I forgot it even has a belt. I couldn’t ask for any more from a quad.
We've got two of those. Great machines. Also Ranger XP 900, no complaints.

/ Manual trans ATVs #26  
I've owned 7 Honda ATV's with foot gear shift over past 30+ years. All were great machines. Main reason for so many machines was to go bigger and/or more features plus kids and needing additional unit. Only issue I ever had with any Honda was a slow coolant leak once which was easily fixed by tightening the hose clamp. They are almost indestructable when maintained properly.