Massey 2660HD rear brake issue

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #101  
The 2670 had the same engine as the 2660 but a little more HP. I think the 2670/80 had a little bit longer frame than the 2660 but too lazy to go fond where I saw that. The old spec sheets with wheelbase will tell you if you care.

Take a look at Sawtooth's excellent photos of his 2660 above -- the center picture (of the rear) clearly shows the 5 notches on the thick plate sandwiched to each side of the differential. That saves me sending at least one picture. I will still get you some pics w/r to the front end hydraulic motor driven things.

By the way it looks like the 3 remotes are common on cab models where only two are std with the rops models. And Sawtooth says the 12sp (instead of 8) tranny likely comes with the cabs too -- those two items are worthwhile for sure.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #102  
The 2670 had the same engine as the 2660 but a little more HP. I think the 2670/80 had a little bit longer frame than the 2660 but too lazy to go fond where I saw that. The old spec sheets with wheelbase will tell you if you care.

Take a look at Sawtooth's excellent photos of his 2660 above -- the center picture (of the rear) clearly shows the 5 notches on the thick plate sandwiched to each side of the differential. That saves me sending at least one picture. I will still get you some pics w/r to the front end hydraulic motor driven things.

By the way it looks like the 3 remotes are common on cab models where only two are std with the rops models. And Sawtooth says the 12sp (instead of 8) tranny likely comes with the cabs too -- those two items are worthwhile for sure.

That's the scam craigslist ad I linked to. It's clearly a scam after getting the response so I wasted a bunch of time chasing that 2670 cab model down there is still the 2650 ROPS version locally for sale for 25k even that is a lot of machine for my needs!

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #103  
correct its a private part sale. Tractordata shows a flow rate of 17 gpm hydraulic pump, i wonder it that would be enough to drive a FEL mounted skid steer snow blower. It sure would be handy to add a valve and separate hydraulics on the FEL to drive a SSQA snow blower maybe even rough cut flail mower for taming the boundaries of my property. i dont think it has a loader bucket though. just the hay fork which i would never use.

View attachment 691349
OK poopstink,,, here comes some pictures of front mounted hydraulic motor driven items.

This is a EDI Corp 60" heavy cutter on my FEL. Would cut very heavy material IF you had the hydraulic oomph to drive it which I did not. Sure it would work but not robust and got hung up and jammed way to easily. If I got a PTO driven pump to fix that problem I would have given up using the bush hog
at the same time.
P1160590.JPG
P1160623.JPG
P1160629.JPG

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #104  
I traded off the EDI FEL mounted heavy cutter on this (which will whack anything that gets in its way and will not bog down, PTO driven of course.) I still have it but it is tough on an old man to get on and off the tractor and of course precludes use of the ordinary bush hog. By the way that far away background hillside, second photo, is measured to be 40% slope on the steeper right side. Two views of the ORSI here.

P1220803.JPG

P1220799.JPG

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #105  
And finally, I got the first Lane Shark sold in WV a couple years ago. It mounts on the FEL, cuts very well and does not clog (unless you try cutting clusters of 3" material) and is designed to run on much lower hydraulic flow. My 2660 handles it with ease. That way I can run it on the front and a 7' hog behind for all day brush and pasture work. I do not know what the choices are for FEL mounted or otherwise front end snowblowers but lookout for flow requirements.

Notice on this Lane Shark I had an extra set of hoses of larger diameter run to the front instead of using the 3rd function hoses. If you put a snowblower up front I would do that too. You may think about running a blade in back and blower in front for your snow work if you have a lot to do. That would open the possibility of using a PTO mounted pump to get any amount of hydraulic flow the blower needs rather than using tractor hydraulic pumping.
20200809_173007.jpg

20180705_100831.jpg

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #106  
That's the scam craigslist ad I linked to. It's clearly a scam after getting the response so I wasted a bunch of time chasing that 2670 cab model down there is still the 2650 ROPS version locally for sale for 25k even that is a lot of machine for my needs!
I confess I got confused about which tractor was which among the 2 or 3 you were looking at ... About "a lot of machine for your needs" each has to make his own decisions there but in my experience I have never been disappointed in the long run by buying larger instead of smaller.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #107  
And finally, I got the first Lane Shark sold in WV a couple years ago. It mounts on the FEL, cuts very well and does not clog (unless you try cutting clusters of 3" material) and is designed to run on much lower hydraulic flow. My 2660 handles it with ease. That way I can run it on the front and a 7' hog behind for all day brush and pasture work. I do not know what the choices are for FEL mounted or otherwise front end snowblowers but lookout for flow requirements.

Notice on this Lane Shark I had an extra set of hoses of larger diameter run to the front instead of using the 3rd function hoses. If you put a snowblower up front I would do that too. You may think about running a blade in back and blower in front for your snow work if you have a lot to do. That would open the possibility of using a PTO mounted pump to get any amount of hydraulic flow the blower needs rather than using tractor hydraulic pumping. View attachment 691437

View attachment 691436

JWR,

This has been very informative. Can you speak on the Lane Sharks ability to cut ditch banks and pond banks? Cut quality? Is it hard not to scalp without a roller or gauge wheel? Etc.

Thanks!

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #108  
JWR,

This has been very informative. Can you speak on the Lane Sharks ability to cut ditch banks and pond banks? Cut quality? Is it hard not to scalp without a roller or gauge wheel? Etc.

Thanks!
Sure. I have used mine more for cutting overhead limbs, especially those hanging out over the edge of my meadows and pasture field than for anything else. As you can tell looking at it , it can be set to quite a few angles when out to the side of the tractor, can be used straight in front of the tractor, etc. I have several sink holes (elongated openings in the ground very capable of swallowing the rear wheels of a large tractor) etc. I've used it for cutting briars and brush over those sink holes quite a bit. The limitations are mainly lack of reach which the yellow ORSI in the prior pictures has (17ft reach for the ORSI.) But the Lane Shark is so easy to get on and off and for one old man like me to deal with. The Shark's cutting width is 44" so it is not your tool for mowing large areas. I have of course tried it just mowing weeds and stuff but with the relatively narrow width I never felt it needed a roller or gauge wheel. I've used it to cut a couple of my pond banks, up tight to fences where I can't get the big 7' bush hog, edge of little streams which I have gotten tractors hung in accidentally in the past, etc. I find it a very useful, handy implement but not for cutting large areas or that sort of application. One of the main things is that Travis and the inventers of this gadget have the valves and behavior of the hydraulics figured out really well. It does not jerk to a stop & half tear itself up when fluid pressure is removed, etc. It also works real well using internal tractor hydraulic pumps without tying up your PTO. Just well thought out. Limitation is reach but it does an awful lot of good within it's reach.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue
How much is the Lane Shark? I’m still on the fence as I want one to

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #110  
How much is the Lane Shark? I’m still on the fence as I want one to
Around $4K. I paid $4284 in 2018 which included some installation work on my tractor, running fresh hyd hoses to the front, new flat face connectors, direct return flow to the sump on the tractor, etc. I have not checked lately. If you go to their website I think there is a dealer lookup feature. They are very good about tech support via phone, etc.