Massey Ferguson 50 transmission question

/ Massey Ferguson 50 transmission question #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
My brother has a MF50. His transmission is "stuck" in first gear, the hi-lo works but he cannot get it out of 1st into any other gear. He changed the transmission fluid he said about 1 year ago, the manual said 27 quarts so that is what he put in. He says the manual does not show a dip stick to check the level. That seems unusual to me but I do not have MF50.
Any thoughts on the transmission issue, he does not think it has external linkage to get in a bind and also the location of a dip stick. Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 50 transmission question #2  
The tractor is supposed to hold 8 gallons of 80w or 90w mineral oil. I believe there is a way to get it out of first. I believe you have to pull the fill plug and use a strong and lengthy screw driver to pry it. Try looking on yesterdays tractor forms, as they are more about tractors of the past. I do believe there are some threads on this. You will have to search though.

/ Massey Ferguson 50 transmission question #3  
Eight Gal is correct. I'm about to change my as soonas I find GL1 in 5gal pail
It has a dipstick on the side of the trans case

/ Massey Ferguson 50 transmission question #4  
Eight Gal is correct. I'm about to change my as soonas I find GL1 in 5gal pail
It has a dipstick on the side of the trans case
Danbo 56 You can get it at NAPA & it's the correct mineral gear oil & might be able to get it a TSC & that's a nice looking M-F 50 is it gasoline or diesel? this is a picture of my Mighty-Fine 50 1959. Item no. for NAPA GL-1 Mineral Gear oil is NHF 65205 online price $73.34

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_134009.jpg
    IMG_20201003_134009.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: