MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions

/ MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions #11  
Yes, with both levers up, the lift arms would raise. I was unfamiliar with the multiple levers as my only other experience is with a Ford 3000 which only has the position lever and something totally different for the draft. I do not feel the lift arms were lifting to the full capability, presumably because of the condition of the pump and oil. Thoughts on the freeze plug for the dashpot? Thanks, Michael

There are two plugs listed in the partlist catalog.

Part # 898169M1 Plug 3/4" cup type
Part # 831447M1. Plug 3/16" cup type

You might want to visit www.agcopartsbook.com and see the complete assembly along with parts list and numbers.

You must be running IE Explorer with the silverlight plugin. Silverlight is kind of a PDF viewer but alot more. You can zoom the part and print both parts and list. -kid

/ MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions
The rear tires are 13.6-28/12-26.

I have become very familiar with the agcopartsbook website and had found the part number for the 3/4" plug but a google search wasn't very productive. The dealer said its been discontinued but is nothing more than a 3/4" cup type freeze plug. Went by several auto parts stores and they seem to agree with the dealer based on the description, but none had one this small. I have since ordered one online, not expensive at all. We'll see how it works out.

Went back by dealer today to try to get more info on the pump. They couldn't quote me a price to rebuild as I didn't have it with me. I have since checked and found it has .98" pistons, a 10 spline camshaft and no pressure control. I spoke with another online retailer and they feel Sparex pump 60950 is correct. The pictures look correct. I can get it new for about $400. I'm really leaning to this option.

Now, once I get these taken care of, how do I go about making the adjustments without the special tools?

Thanks for all the excellent input.

Michael

/ MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions #13  
Michael, Do you have a copy of the I&T shop manual? There is quite a bit of info on adjustments to the internal hydraulics. Got mine at TSC. -kid

I bought a CD off eBay with a service manual, shop manual, and engine manual. I think the shop manual is the I&T manual so I will read up on the procedures in there. I later found a MF service manual on eBay but it was incorrectly listed as a parts manual so I got a great deal on it but I'm not positive it is all there. This is the one I have mainly been referencing though.

I have seen some discussion in other threads about a CD by Big Dean. I have tried two different links where folks say they uploaded it to a file sharing site but I cannot get either of the links to work. Can someone help me with this or maybe upload it again, I'm thinking that maybe it hasn't been downloaded in a while and was removed by the site, just a guess though.

Thanks, Michael

Well its been a while since I posted but I finally got a new pump and got it installed today along with the PTO shaft and drive shaft with coupling. Moved on to the internal adjustments on the lift cover and think I may have found another issue. Got the draft adjustments taken care of and then moved on to the position adjustment. Changed the positions of the quadrant controls but when I went to apply the 3 pounds of force, the lever moved with barely a touch. I did some investigating and found the hydraulic linkage pivot shaft may be in question. It is part number 898304M91. Is this supposed to be a rigid shaft? It has play in it right next to where it comes through the casting on the cam assembly side. This should show up in the attached photo. I have googled the part number and it is available but I'm hoping someone can confirm my suspicions first. Thanks for all the help to this point.

Michael

IMAG1260.jpg

Well I finally got some time to post pictures of the progress so far. Got the new pump installed.
IMAG1249.jpg
The new coupling that came with the new pump to join it to the transmission had to be removed and the old one was used. Simply could not get the pump up on the shaft with the new coupling. Took the new coupling off and tried just fitting that on by itself and it still would not go. After two+ hours of trying, decided to use the old coupling and had the pump installed in 10 minutes.
IMAG1251.jpg
Got the PTO shaft re installed with a new seal and o-ring.
IMAG1284.jpg
Also got the drive shaft and coupling reinstalled. Forgot to take a picture of the needle bearing in the transmission end of the shaft that needed replacing at this time as well (all the old needles starting falling out when the shaft was removed).
IMAG1276.jpg
Also got the PTO side cover reinstalled. Went ahead and did this so I could verify the selector went in the proper slot.
IMAG1277.jpg
Also got the adjustments done on the draft control spring and a new boot installed.
IMAG1285.jpg

Have also done some investigating on the new issue found. I do believe the pin I referenced before is broken and a new one has been ordered. I also found though that the position arm had gotten on the wrong side of one of the cam rollers.

IMAG1262.jpg

This picture is the way it was found. I'm not sure how well you can see it due to the clutter. I'll try to get a picture of the correct installation later.

I have ordered new rollers as well for the position and draft as they will be easily accessible when the pin gets replaced. I'm hoping once these repairs get made, I will be able to properly adjust everything and get the cover back on the tractor.

This site has been wonderful for the knowledge sharing as well as being able to reference others pictures.

/ MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions #19  
Your pictures have got to be the best I've seen on here. Good job on your progress.

/ MF 135 Hydraulic 3 Point Hitch Questions #20  
Have also done some investigating on the new issue found. I do believe the pin I referenced before is broken and a new one has been ordered. I also found though that the position arm had gotten on the wrong side of one of the cam rollers.

View attachment 357689

This picture is the way it was found. I'm not sure how well you can see it due to the clutter. I'll try to get a picture of the correct installation later.

I have ordered new rollers as well for the position and draft as they will be easily accessible when the pin gets replaced. I'm hoping once these repairs get made, I will be able to properly adjust everything and get the cover back on the tractor.

This site has been wonderful for the knowledge sharing as well as being able to reference others pictures.

There have been posts on various sites where this problem is described as:
  • "Position Control Not Working",
  • "Lift only operates with Draft Control",
  • "Position Control linkage is displaced",
  • "MF135 Quadrant controls behaving strangely",
  • "The position control seems to have no effect, and only the draft control raises and lowers the arms",
  • etc
A symptom on the MF 135 is that the hydraulic pump control lever ( 897516M91) does not move in proportion to the position control hand lever (in fact the pump control lever just sort of "wiggles" when the position control lever is moved through its full range from "Transport" to fully "Down" and back). However, the draft control lever does operate the hydraulic pump control lever correctly.

While a broken position control return spring can cause similar problems, I think the position control cam becoming displaced from the cam roller is probably more common. I think we are on to the fix for this - the one Big Dean Austin described as: "the Position control has a piece of linkage that when you move the position lever to (sic) far it will jump out of place it will happen almost every time you do that. To get it back where it belongs you will have to remove the liftcover. I have a picture showing this & how to get it back in place." Unfortunately I believe that Big Dean never posted his pictures on this fix, opting instead to have others contact him directly.

If you can more precisely document this fix (perhaps in a new thread to separate it from your pump issue?) you will very likely help others save a lot of time and aggravation in the future. It would be a real service if you could do this so that tractorbynet.com will be a definitive resource for this issue.
Thanks.
Frank

Last edited: