Mid Mount Mower

/ Mid Mount Mower #11  
If you have level ground MMM might be OK but if you
don't could wreck the MMM! I think the people that really like the MMM's are the one's that don't remove
it and it stays on the tractor all the time as they don't do much else that they need to remove it. With a brush hog you can cut all the edges first this will enable you to just cut without the hassle of looking out for anything when you make a turn. It may take two passes around the edge to do this. Also you can back under a pine
tree where you will not get near it with a MMM as it will
tear up the tree. my two cents. I never cut grass etc
when its wet. Don't like the grass stuck to the deck!
Makes more work when you have to use a putty knife etc to clean the deck. Next you need to know if your
tractor will handle the MMM are all the hookups there?
The MMM's are a lot higher cost wise per a brush hog
If you don't have a canopy for your tractor you could get one for the difference in price??
I never used a MMM info is from others talking about
their units and some have no kind words for their MMM!

willy

/ Mid Mount Mower #12  
I sold my MMM and went and bought a ZeroTurn. Not much difference in price. It's two more cylinders to feed and more maintenance but I don't want to slit my wrists after using it. And before. And during.

I'm a Vet so I got a $3k Husky from Lowes for $2700. So far, so good. Haven't seen it in 2 years. covid travel restrictions in Michigan kept me down here.

/ Mid Mount Mower #13  
Opinions follow, your situation may be different:

Buying a mower deck for my CUT was a very dumb thing to do. Wresting it on and off isn’t a whole lot of fun. Installed it pretty much limits work to graded/flat surfaces, else the probability of damage is high. Puppy wasn’t inexpensive either. From a cost standpoint, the hefty price paid for it would have gone a long way towards buying a quality standalone mower. If we’re not talking hills and dale, a stand alone mower could have been cheaper.

Pulling/installing the deck isn’t rocket science, but it is heavy, awkward to move into and out of position, and is fiddly to adjust. Maybe all that's changed with the drive over option. Once up and running, the quality of the cut is v good, better than my X500.

As mentioned, tooling around a yard with obstructions (trees, well, septic, house etc.) in a long vehicle require more operator attention. Can’t go under things with the tractor due to its height. Always thinking about ground compaction when traversing near the leach field. Industrial tires leave marks under certain conditions. Which is why I mow with the X and put up with the not so great cut.

Mow 2 acres with the X, use the tractor for grading, skidding, brush/tree collection, hogging and everything else on the remaining 38. Used the MMM three times over 18 years, look at it daily hanging from the wall.

Bottom line is because of frequent off road uses for the tractor, having a MMM deck installed is a no go. And it’s hard enough to install/remove that getting a dedicated mower was worth the cost. To me.

You may be different.

I'm assuming the non lawn portion of the 3.5 acres is wooded and or requires some sort of ground engagement, thus the need for a tractor?

Pretty much agreed.
For me, it was laziness (dealing with the hassle of removing and reinstalling the MMM) that lead to my 2 machine purchase, one tractor for mowing (B2601) and another for tractor work (L2501).

Having the MMM attached while attempting other work besides mowing, is just ridiculous. Ground clearance is greatly reduced and it makes any ground engagement work difficult at best. As mentioned before...and it's worth mentioning again...I hated removing and reinstalling the MMM.

I now know why most folks suggest a dedicated mower and a tractor. The combination of the two machines simply works, makes sense and makes life easier.
In my situation, however, with steep hills on my property, using my B2601 as my dedicated mower just made more sense than a Zero Turn or other options, especially with the diesel and 4WD. The B2601 with the 60" MMM does a great job mowing. I'm very happy with the cut quality of the MMM.

Mike

/ Mid Mount Mower #14  
Pretty much agreed.
For me, it was laziness (dealing with the hassle of removing and reinstalling the MMM) that lead to my 2 machine purchase, one tractor for mowing (B2601) and another for tractor work (L2501).

Having the MMM attached while attempting other work besides mowing, is just ridiculous. Ground clearance is greatly reduced and it makes any ground engagement work difficult at best. As mentioned before...and it's worth mentioning again...I hated removing and reinstalling the MMM.

I now know why most folks suggest a dedicated mower and a tractor. The combination of the two machines simply works, makes sense and makes life easier.
In my situation, however, with steep hills on my property, using my B2601 as my dedicated mower just made more sense than a Zero Turn or other options, especially with the diesel and 4WD. The B2601 with the 60" MMM does a great job mowing. I'm very happy with the cut quality of the MMM.

Mike

My Zero Turn sticks like a tick on hills. Very little risk of overturn, IMO. If anything, it will slide when the grass is wet.

OTOH, if I were in a position to have a tractor dedicated solely to cutting the grass, I'd be a happy camper.

Now for somebody to invented a cupholder that doesn't allow your beer to foam up when trying to cut the grass. very annoying

/ Mid Mount Mower #15  
^^^^
My boss's new Bad Boy ZT just slips and slides trying to go up my hills. I'm sure if it had better tires it may work better.

Mike

/ Mid Mount Mower #16  
If someone needs a deck that’s off and on easy they really need to try a JD auto connect deck. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty close.

/ Mid Mount Mower #17  
^^^^
My boss's new Bad Boy ZT just slips and slides trying to go up my hills. I'm sure if it had better tires it may work better.

Mike

My ZT running AT101s will ride hills like a boss. I’ll run against any stock CUT tractor riding across hills. If I can’t mow it you need a ventrac or something built for the job.

/ Mid Mount Mower
Thanks for all the replies. I don’t have any problems mowing with my old JD1050 and my 6’ RFM. However, the Mrs. is indicating she’d like a smaller tractor that is easier for her to drive around. I don’t want to have a tractor and a lawn mower. I was thinking a smaller tractor with a MMM might be the ticket for her. I plan on keeping my RFM anyway.

/ Mid Mount Mower #19  
I think it really depends on your uses. My property was 40 acres mostly wooded and my first tractor was a compact (Kubota B7500) with mmm, loader, and rear blade and I loved that set up. It probably got more hours mowing than anything else because it served as my lawn mower and did it very well. The mmm was easy enough to put on and off (concrete floor) and after done in the Fall I stored it upright rolling it around with mower deck axle wheels. Mower Deck Axles,Carrera,Cayman,John Deere,Kubota
I only put the loader on when needed, which was a 2 minute job, and most of the time when I did have the loader on, or using the rear blade on the driveway, the mmm was still attached because it raised up (where it could be pinned) high enough it still had decent ground clearance. For instance in the image I was moving a couple hundred 12' pine logs with the FEL and having the mmm on didn't interfere at all so I didn't bother removing it.
I actually used it with the deck raised all the way to mow my trails in the woods and a 2 acre meadow each Fall.

After acquiring additional property (woods and open) which involves mowing way more than I did (I have cut it back but it's still probably 4 acres regularly) I changed to a slightly heavier tractor plus a ZTR just for mowing.

There are advantages to having just one tractor with a mmm and other implements that you can do everything with.