Miiler Machine

/ Miiler Machine #1  

murphy1244

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
Have a chance to buy a Miller Welder and I need to know what its worth and even if I should buy it as being I never Welded before. Thanks for any and all.

Miller Dialarc HF Tig/Arc Welder

/ Miiler Machine #3  
murphy1244 said:
Have a chance to buy a Miller Welder and I need to know what its worth and even if I should buy it as being I never Welded before. Thanks for any and all.

Miller Dialarc HF Tig/Arc Welder
What is the output amperage? I think dialarcs were made in a few sizes. But they are tough machines.
I would check that the polarty switch works, and that it welds.

/ Miiler Machine #4  
For a first and probably last welder, it is an excellent choice if the price is right! The last Dialarc 250 HF's were on sale for $1699.00 up here. It was around 1993. The first 2 letters in the serial number will tell you the year. H is 70's, J is 80's and K is 90's. Then A is 0, B is 01, C is 02, etc. If it works properly it could be worth around $750 if it has cables, foot pedal and TIG torch, etc.

It is based on a Dialarc 250 AC/DC but has a high frequency added for TIG welding. It is a very basic TIG machine and a decent stick welder. The school I went to had one to replace a Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300. There was something wrong with the Lincoln and no one could figure it out. The teacher was a very experienced TIG welder and I think his budget on a new machine was limited. He wasn't very impressed with the Dialarc HF for TIG. For stick it was decent but not as good as a Lincoln Idealarc 250. Miller discontinued the Dialarc 250 HF in the early/mid 90's when the Syncrowave 250 came out. It is a better machine but now it looks like the Syncrowave 250 is being replaced by a new inverter based machine. I saw some literature on the new machine and it is listed it as a possible replacement for the S/W 250.

Last edited:
   / Miiler Machine #5  
Wow! Those prices on E-Bay are outrageous! They must be basing their price on the cost of a new machine but there is no new machine to compare them too. At best they are 20 year old machines and don't have square wave AC! They weren't legendary like a 50 year old SA200 to command the prices people are asking.

/ Miiler Machine #7  
If you could get it for a few hundred I would say it's worth that just as a good stick machine. Much more robust than anything you could buy today for that price.

Do you definitely want the tig capability?

/ Miiler Machine
Mike, I never welded in my life. This one came up in a location search.

/ Miiler Machine
Well you could pick a lot worse machine to learn on. It would be nice to have a water cooler for it when you get into Tig welding.

Said it was missing a hose, was that for what your talking about? How high should I go?