Military trailer turned into a dump trailer?

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer?
I am still kicking around the idea. I want to make a frame under the bed and hinge it in the back for a full dump. Just trying to figure out how much it will run me to make it happen.

Also trying to figure out if i want the M101A2 or a M105. The 105 is bigger and heavier. Want it be be small enough for the tractor to handle it good but still big enough to hold a lot of material if I want to put it behind my truck and pick up a load of mulch, rock or wood etc. The M101A2 has surge brakes which not as good as electric it better than nothing. The M105 was made to go behind a big 2.5 ton truck and comes with air brakes. Don't know if I could modify the air brakes or not might have to put a new axle under it.

Lots of photos on this thread on M105 towing.

Bruce

Thanks for the link. I join the Steel Soldiers site the other day and have been reading alot. Those guys have some really cool stuff. Makes me want to go buy a big truck for the fun of it.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #15  
Here is a long thread on the "dump" non-feature.

M101a2 not dumping !! - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

The pins on the rear of the tongue are not in line with the axle. They are perpendicular to the angled side of the tongue. The original intent was to remove those "dump pivot" bolts, then rotate the hitch upwards on the bolts in front of the box, to save shipping space.

Bruce

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #16  
The M105 is a really big trailer for a 1/2 ton pick up. The M102 is perfect size for 1/2 to 3/4 ton pickups. The M102 will carry more dirt or rocks than you would want to put behind a regular truck. If you load out a 105 you better have a, well 2.5 ton truck. Also keep in mind that the center of gravity on these trailers is about 6 inches in front of the axel when empty. So you have to be careful when loading them so you don't get an aft center of gravity.

Here is a long thread on the "dump" non-feature.

M101a2 not dumping !! - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

The pins on the rear of the tongue are not in line with the axle. They are perpendicular to the angled side of the tongue. The original intent was to remove those "dump pivot" bolts, then rotate the hitch upwards on the bolts in front of the box, to save shipping space.

Bruce

I have read several of those. Thats why I am leaning towards making it a full dump. Or at the least reworking the pins to remove the angle.

The M105 is a really big trailer for a 1/2 ton pick up. The M102 is perfect size for 1/2 to 3/4 ton pickups. The M102 will carry more dirt or rocks than you would want to put behind a regular truck. If you load out a 105 you better have a, well 2.5 ton truck. Also keep in mind that the center of gravity on these trailers is about 6 inches in front of the axel when empty. So you have to be careful when loading them so you don't get an aft center of gravity.

Yea, I think the 105 is too big but just looking. I have a 3/4 ton so I can pull that much but not trailer brakes would be an issue.

I believe I will end up with a 101A2, a 101A3 with the wider body would be nice but those seem harder to find. Or hard to fine close to my location.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #19  
Once you have a dumper you'll find all kinds of uses for it. Then you'll wish you had one where the rear does not go down when the front goes up. You'll want the ground clearance, and as mentioned, you'll want to pull forward away from your pile of (x) to clean out the trailer.
The frames on those milspec trailers always looked light to me, but I guess they work fine for what's intended for them. Come to think of it, the WWII Jeep frames are awful light, and you still see them sometimes 70 years later on the road.
Jim

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #20  
I'm a little late to the game here, but I like the concept of that "Hydraulicless dump". I admit that it's nowhere near the usefulness of a $6K dump trailer, but for those of us just needing to dump a little something every now and then, it's a great idea. If it were purpose built with an electric brake axle, a guy could pull pins in the front and then dump by using the wammy bar on a brake controller. That way he could pull away from the dump pile and then re-dump to empty the trailer without getting out of the cab.

I like it.