Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #1  

WADFL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Two classic green machines + Kubota L2501
Currently have a Hobart Handler 140 and looking for a more powerful machine for Mig welding.
Figure the uses will be around the house, mower deck and farm implements, floor pans in old trucks, etc.

Keyed on the MM211 as a great machine + it's light (38 lbs) - should do everything I want. This one is about $1600.
The HH210MVP is about the same without the auto-settings, and weighs about double. (84 lbs). This one is $900.

Plan on keeping the 140 for backup usage.
Don't mind paying more if it's worth it long term.

What says the gang on which one is the best overall machine for the portability and money?

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #2  
Long term I'd say you'll get your monies worth out of the miller. But really long term I might look at a 220 for a significant upgrade from a the Hobart 140.

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #3  

Portability? The MM211 wins, at half the weight.
Value? The HH210MVP will do 90% of the jobs for 60% of the money.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one, depending on my needs.

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #4  
Currently have a Hobart Handler 140 and looking for a more powerful machine for Mig welding.
Figure the uses will be around the house, mower deck and farm implements, floor pans in old trucks, etc.

Keyed on the MM211 as a great machine + it's light (38 lbs) - should do everything I want. This one is about $1600.
The HH210MVP is about the same without the auto-settings, and weighs about double. (84 lbs). This one is $900.

Plan on keeping the 140 for backup usage.
Don't mind paying more if it's worth it long term.

What says the gang on which one is the best overall machine for the portability and money?
I've had the Hobart machine for 3 or 4 years and love it. Mine's on a welding cart so the weight isn't an issue. I would suggest getting the spool gun if you think you might do any aluminum work.

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #5  
Neither of the two machines you mentioned will tell you what ACTUAL voltage OR feed speed you have, for that a more professional welder at maybe double the cost...

I've had the older mm211, sold it to a friend when I found a barely used MM252 for a bit less than HALF what Cyberweld wants - then I decided I could use a more portable unit, so bought the newer inverter MM211 (but I KEPT the MM252, it ain't goin' anywhere til I croak) - the newer MM211's "deluxe" autoset covers about three TIMES as many materials as the older version, including flux core, stainless, aluminum, and all THREE wire sizes used in this class machines - it also will handle a 15' gun (but you gotta buy that EXTRA)

The Hobart gives you 7 STEP settings for arc voltage, while the Miller is continuously variable - if you get picky about welds, a slight voltage adjustment can make SMALL changes in flattening out your weld beads.

As mentioned, the Hobart (I've heard, not used it) is a good machine too - just kinda depends on if you're an "options" kinda guy (I am) or a "basics" kinda guy... Steve

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP
I am leaning towards the Millermatic 211, as it's 1/2 the weight and more maneuverable. This is going to be a long term purchase so I'm not terribly concerned about the cost. I just need to ensure that it will complement my Handler 140 well, and give me a lot more options in the future.

I also saw the HF Vulcan MigMax215 - it actually looks quite appealing. Though I don't trust HF to last and I'm looking for a 20+ year purchase.

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #7  
I have had a new inverter style MM211 for a couple of years now, and really like it. I was able to get it on sale at a local dealer for ~$1300. It has a lot more capability than I have talent for welding.

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #8  
Why is one lighter?

Use to be, the heavier ones had more copper in them, and that meant they lasted longer.

SR

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #9  
The Hobart is a heavy copper transformer machine...

The Miller is a inverter machine meaning it uses solid-state devices to convert "mains" AC voltage to low voltage DC through a lot smaller transformer...

IF welder is on a cart or wheels why is "weight" a issue....

I have a HH140 also and trying to justify moving up to a 210MPV... Wished I had gotten a 210MP for my meager welding needs, but at the time I didn't know what I really wanted when I bough the HH140.... But the HH140 had really met all the demands I have made of it....

/ Millermatic 211 vs. Hobart Handler 210MVP #10  
I have MVP 210 bought about 10 yrs ago. I like it. It is heavy but has amazing penetration for a smaller welder. Never gave me any serious issues, the Hobart has tap settings for voltage not infinite, (I prefer infinite) I used flux core and mig with it mig works good but I do replace tips more frequently compared to a Lincoln I used to have , no matter how much nozzle gel I use. I also have and use the spool gun (sp 100) I believe? for aluminum, works good but the spool gun is not the highest quality by any means I'm always afraid it will fall off the table and break. I use my 210 extensively for a few weeks then it will sit unused for a few months.