Missed it by this > < much

/ Missed it by this > < much #1  

square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
Saw a Jobsmart Fluxcore 125 Mig welder, new in box, on the clearance table at the farm supply store a few years ago for $48. Sticker said "Won't feed wire", I said (to myself) "That's got to be something simple to fix" and bought it. Fast forward ~ 3 - 4 years and now that I am a tractor owner it only seems fitting that a welder should be in my garage. Went above the garage and dug out the Jobsmart, opened the box, placed the welder on my bench and took apart the wire feed mechanism. The culprit, a stripped plastic double reduction gear. I knew this was going to be an easy fix, I just knew it!

Sent Buffalo Tools Customer Service (JobSmart) an email asking to purchase a feed assembly or the gears; No Response. Okay, so it might not be an "easy fix", but still it won't be hard I'm sure of that. Off to the local RC model stores I go, surely they'll have the gear I need on the shelf. Two RC model / Hobby stores and three hardware stores later, nadda. Okay, maybe this will be a little harder than I thought, but still success is just a Google search away I tell myself. I'm sure I can get a gear on-line and then I'll be a real tractor owner, with working welder and everything! 4 hours of searching Google later I pull the trigger on a (10) pack of 38102B 0.5 Module double reduction gears for less than $5. Wait, whoa, what's that? Two weeks shipping from China....back to Google, surely there's a source on this side of the world. Nope, apparently not :( Okay, I can wait, besides once they get here I'll be stocked for life with nine spares. yeah, this is going to be cake!

They arrived today.

20140405_193220[1].jpg

Missed it by that much :mad:

Looks like I need the 38103B 0.8 Module double reduction gears for $6. What's another two weeks...:eek:

/ Missed it by this > < much #2  
You need to go find a Welder that uses the other Gear.

/ Missed it by this > < much #6  
Brand new with a stripped plastic gear? Just wait till you actually use it.;)

/ Missed it by this > < much
Just wait till you actually use it.;)

I see a machine shop in your future.

Maybe I should just befriend the Widow Gasper on the next mile over. She has a nice work shop :)

/ Missed it by this > < much #9  
   / Missed it by this > < much #10  
You start messing with the widow and your wife will strip your gear.