Mod for hydraulic pump?

/ Mod for hydraulic pump? #31  
That's also kinda cool because if you critically failed an implement - like pumped the implement circuit dry for some reason - you could still drive home. Huh....
I would file that one under a definite "Maybe".

The charge pump still needs oil to charge the variable volume drive pump, and getting air in that pump is especially bad since it is so complex mechanically. That's why we go through the whole bleed the filter routine when changing the hydraulic filter.

There would also be the small problem of dry running the other pumps...

Personally, I would quit where the tractor had the issue, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

All the best,

Peter

/ Mod for hydraulic pump? #32  
I would file that one under a definite "Maybe".

The charge pump still needs oil to charge the variable volume drive pump, and getting air in that pump is especially bad since it is so complex mechanically. That's why we go through the whole bleed the filter routine when changing the hydraulic filter.

There would also be the small problem of dry running the other pumps...

Personally, I would quit where the tractor had the issue, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

All the best,

Peter

I had kinda written off the other pumps when they pumped the tank dry. Nuthin goods gonna happen at that point!

Losing hydraulic fluid is kinda the PT equivalent of bleeding out. Small cut, not a big deal. Pulsing artery, probably not gonna end well. LOL

/ Mod for hydraulic pump? #33  
THAT'S fascinating...the drive circuit loop doesn't pass back to tank...and there's enough thermal mass to keep from completely cooking the oil when tramming for a long time? That's kinda interesting...thanks for the info!

A key purpose of the charge pump is also to cool the VDP. On larger tractors, like my 1845, the wheel motors also have a separate case drain for bypass and to help with cooling. Consequently, these circuits are not "pure" closed loop.

A BIG downside of closed loop is the lack of any filtering. Therefore, when the loop is opened for any reason, the loop should be filtered (e.g., with a 3 micron filter cart). I built my own filter with parts from Surplus Center and posted pictures on here somewhere of the design (it uses check valves so it can be used in forward or reverse without reversing the direction of the filtration...i.e., you can't connect it incorrectly).

I have three Power-Tracs and the VDP has required a rebuild on all three before 1000 hours. One of the rebuilds was discretionary but Terry said it was needed when I sent it in for inspection. This is VERY low hours for the service life of a VDP. I suspect this is caused by the lack of filtration in the motor circuit. Power-Trac considers the VDP as a wear item...i.e., it will require a rebuild from time to time. An **** retentive person would use a filter cart to filter the circuit on a routine basis to remove normal wear particles in the circuit. PT even recommended this procedure years ago and offered a kit for the filter. Lately, they don't mention it much...probably because one can easily do more damage than good if you're not careful.

I'm not "dissing" PT's engineering here. As mentioned, I have three...so I must like them. But I also have a couple Takeuchi machines and there's filters all over the place on those machines. Even my Kubota L3901 has several filters. In my opinion, PT could have engineered much better filtration. Or at least offered it as a profit making option...like they should offer larger displacement wheel motors as an option for those who want power over speed.

/ Mod for hydraulic pump? #34  
THAT'S fascinating...the drive circuit loop doesn't pass back to tank...and there's enough thermal mass to keep from completely cooking the oil when tramming for a long time? That's kinda interesting...thanks for the info!
The charge pump is internal to the variable volume pump.

The only oil that's filtered is the oil going to the charge pump inside the VVP.

The tram system is not closed loop. It still passes oil in and out of the VVP, so it's not closed.

/ Mod for hydraulic pump?
A key purpose of the charge pump is also to cool the VDP. On larger tractors, like my 1845, the wheel motors also have a separate case drain for bypass and to help with cooling. Consequently, these circuits are not "pure" closed loop.

A BIG downside of closed loop is the lack of any filtering. Therefore, when the loop is opened for any reason, the loop should be filtered (e.g., with a 3 micron filter cart). I built my own filter with parts from Surplus Center and posted pictures on here somewhere of the design (it uses check valves so it can be used in forward or reverse without reversing the direction of the filtration...i.e., you can't connect it incorrectly).

I have three Power-Tracs and the VDP has required a rebuild on all three before 1000 hours. One of the rebuilds was discretionary but Terry said it was needed when I sent it in for inspection. This is VERY low hours for the service life of a VDP. I suspect this is caused by the lack of filtration in the motor circuit. Power-Trac considers the VDP as a wear item...i.e., it will require a rebuild from time to time. An **** retentive person would use a filter cart to filter the circuit on a routine basis to remove normal wear particles in the circuit. PT even recommended this procedure years ago and offered a kit for the filter. Lately, they don't mention it much...probably because one can easily do more damage than good if you're not careful.

I'm not "dissing" PT's engineering here. As mentioned, I have three...so I must like them. But I also have a couple Takeuchi machines and there's filters all over the place on those machines. Even my Kubota L3901 has several filters. In my opinion, PT could have engineered much better filtration. Or at least offered it as a profit making option...like they should offer larger displacement wheel motors as an option for those who want power over speed.

I think PT wanted to build a no frills piece of equipment and left the canvas of what it can become to the imagination of all the mad scientist, machinist, mechanics out there to enhance them to the limits of our imagination.

It’s like they started it with a rock solid foundation and said “ here ya go, have at it, enjoy it and we will support you in doing what you can and-will with it. We will help you to know what can and won’t work.
I love the opportunity to become the creator of my Machine to let it morph into something more than it was when I first found it, to see it evolve in its capabilities in the relationship I have with it learning its capabilities and enhancing them to cater to our needs and to help make life better in eachpart of the world each one of us live in

Ps. I know some of you get it, some of you don’t, if you don’t please disregard, I was talking to the ones that DO. Lol

Last edited:
   / Mod for hydraulic pump? #36  
It is a fairly easy machine to work on and modify to your specific wants and needs, that's for sure.

I always thought it might make a great platform for someone with leg disabilities.

You could switch the steering and forward/reverse functions to 1 joystick fairly easily, I'd think.

So drive with the left hand and FEL with the right or vice versa.

/ Mod for hydraulic pump?
It is a fairly easy machine to work on and modify to your specific wants and needs, that's for sure.

I always thought it might make a great platform for someone with leg disabilities.

You could switch the steering and forward/reverse functions to 1 joystick fairly easily, I'd think.

I bet most of us that have them have property that they have enhanced because of them, we are artists and creators in our corners of the world lol.

/ Mod for hydraulic pump? #38  

Can confirm...4 bolts in the left ankle, 2 in the knee, 5 pound steel rod connects the two. I like the control setup for sure.