Grapple More Grapple

/ More Grapple #1  

7879fordman

Gold Member
Tractor
1969 massey 135 and a 2013 m7040hd 4x4 2013 L3800 HST 4x4
Ok still a year going here and trying to decide which dang grapple why does there have to be so made different ones . Started thinking I wanted the Titan 72" weigh'n at 700 pounds . But have about decided that it doesn't have long enough lower tines . And that I mite have to lengthen them . http://bit.ly/GIkCHa
ydy9e3ej.jpg

Now I think I like these which look to be the same there made with the same metal and what not . Just ones about $300 cheaper over all . There 74" only one has a weight 900 pounds seem heavy . So my worry is the weight .
The first two pics are from one dealer and its pics of there 66" Which has 6 tines there 74" does have 7 tines just like the other . And the other three is from another . Look to be the same . Design and everything .
This rake style what I'm 100% sure I want single top part .. .. Any thought on the weight on the m7040 . About a 200 pound difference. The m7040 lift is 2300# or 2500# depending on which position its in . Is a 900# grapple losing to much payload pick up. Or is there another or two in this style I'm miss'n that i haven't look'n at .
Here's link to there 84" http://bit.ly/1flFAaD
yvaba8e9.jpg
a9y4ege8.jpg
Here's link to there 74" http://bit.ly/12u0SQ7
qege7yne.jpg
yzyhe2u9.jpg
etu7u9u7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TractorByNet

/ More Grapple #2  
FWIW, I think the single top is a mistake. It will not hold uneven loads like a tapered log or a stump.

As far as weight, more weight means more steel and, if used right, means more strength. What are you planning to be using this for that payload is important?

As for tine spacing, some manufacturers offer additional tines as an option. I did that on my grapple.

Usually I have heard that you do not need full width on a grapple. Most recommendations are for something more narrow. That's what I did and I have no regrets. That will save you on weight.

/ More Grapple #3  
Ok still a year going here and trying to decide which dang grapple why does there have to be so made different ones . Started thinking I wanted the Titan 72" weigh'n at 700 pounds . But have about decided that it doesn't have long enough lower tines . And that I mite have to lengthen them. If you lengthen the bottom tines, the top clamp won't work for picking up logs.

------------------------------
This rake style what I'm 100% sure I want single top part .. .. Any thought on the weight on the m7040 . About a 200 pound difference. The m7040 lift is 2300# or 2500# depending on which position its in . Is a 900# grapple losing to much payload pick up. Or is there another or two in this style I'm miss'n that i haven't look'n at .
-----------------------------

What will be the main thing that you will use the grapple for?

Did you see the Texas Grapple Shootout thread by txdon? It might help you decide:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/297679-texas-grapple-shootout-3.html

/ More Grapple #4  
I have an Eagle Talon grapple for my Bobcat 863F Turbo. Works fantastic. Heavy and almost indestructible.
I use it mostly for brush and fence row clearing but works great on concrete, boulders and any other think I can get it's jaws around. It is a a rake first and foremast. Top and bottom are the same. Intersect each other. Does not have teeth on the bottom, just curved tines. Very robust.

/ More Grapple
FWIW, I think the single top is a mistake. It will not hold uneven loads like a tapered log or a stump.

As far as weight, more weight means more steel and, if used right, means more strength. What are you planning to be using this for that payload is important?

As for tine spacing, some manufacturers offer additional tines as an option. I did that on my grapple.

Usually I have heard that you do not need full width on a grapple. Most recommendations are for something more narrow. That's what I did and I have no regrets. That will save you on weight.

I have used the double lid grapples and didn't like them . They want clamp all the way down . If ya need to grab small stuff . Plus all the double clamps are more of a bucket design . Where ya have to get the tines under the objects .

I want a rake style so I can rake . I need it to clean brush and logs and big rocks . I am have'n 80 acres logged and am want to clean some before I hire a dozer to shear and pile . Plus I can I alway use it on a 500 acre farm plus I need it if I want to do storm clean up from ice storms to Hurricanes . And they need to be able to dump over 6' sides on my dump trailers . And these rake style I can us to grab round rolls of hay if I want and double clamps just want work as good .

/ More Grapple
The main thing is I'm worried about it weight . Lose'n payload weight .

But I looked at the landpride 72" rake style and its 900+ pounds .

I'm a 110% I want a rake single lid right now for what I want it to do .

I'm think hard about just buying the Titan and if I'm not happy I will have a cheap plat form to make it they way I think it needs to work if need be .

/ More Grapple #7  
The main thing is I'm worried about it weight . Lose'n payload weight .

But I looked at the landpride 72" rake style and its 900+ pounds .

I'm a 110% I want a rake single lid right now for what I want it to do .

I'm think hard about just buying the Titan and if I'm not happy I will have a cheap plat form to make it they way I think it needs to work if need be .

Have you seen this one?
ETA-CMP-RRG-9T.jpgETA-CMP-RRG-10T.jpg ETA-CMP-RRG-3T.jpg
Everything Attachments Tractor Loader Root Rake Grapple

• Approximate weight: 420 pounds (60") and 460 pounds (72")

From: Everything Attachments Tractor Loader Root Rake Grapple

Last edited:
   / More Grapple #8  
I have used the double lid grapples and didn't like them . They want clamp all the way down . If ya need to grab small stuff . Plus all the double clamps are more of a bucket design . Where ya have to get the tines under the objects .

I want a rake style so I can rake . I need it to clean brush and logs and big rocks . I am have'n 80 acres logged and am want to clean some before I hire a dozer to shear and pile . Plus I can I alway use it on a 500 acre farm plus I need it if I want to do storm clean up from ice storms to Hurricanes . And they need to be able to dump over 6' sides on my dump trailers . And these rake style I can us to grab round rolls of hay if I want and double clamps just want work as good .

My Eagle Talon grapple is a single and not a double top unit. It's a beast. I use it for round bales, boulders, trees, limbs, back dragging as a rake, push out stumps. It's the best attachment I have ever bought. My only concern with going with a lite unit is damage. My brother in law bought a light weight unit and he laughed at my unit. He is a dairy farmer. His hired help tore that unit up. The tines all bent and hoses and rams shot. In a less than a year. i beat my to death and the only damage is the black enamle is rubbed off the tines.

My Eagle Talon grapple is a single and not a double top unit. It's a beast. I use it for round bales, boulders, trees, limbs, back dragging as a rake, push out stumps. It's the best attachment I have ever bought. My only concern with going with a lite unit is damage. My brother in law bought a light weight unit and he laughed at my unit. He is a dairy farmer. His hired help tore that unit up. The tines all bent and hoses and rams shot. In a less than a year. i beat my to death and the only damage is the black enamle is rubbed off the tines.

/ More Grapple #9  

I have a single top grapple. Tree stumps, logs, you name it and it will grab and hold it. I have never had a problem with it not holding an uneven load. I see your point, I am just saying I have not had that be a problem.

/ More Grapple
Ya I don't light weight either . But was and am worried about a 900# one on the m7040 worried I mite lose to much pay load .

Just got out of the local kubota dealer and we looked at there landpride 74" and its heavy and the dealer said it would be ok . But he would go with a 60" or so to shave weight .

But the he told me to go check a tractor auction place here that they sold new grapples and they would be a better price .

So more shopping and think'n I guess .