More weight for my disc harrow

/ More weight for my disc harrow
Fred, Scrap steel is a great idea. My problem is I have no means for cutting and fabricating so, I'll likely use the angle iron framework that several of my implements came in and my angle grinder for some of the framing for my project. The square tube I'll have to source locally. Welding will have to be contracted out...I'm not a welder or, should I say, I have no welding experience or equipment.

I imagine there is plenty of steel scrap nearby inasmuch as Birmingham, AL was once the steel capitol of the South. The old furnaces are now museums however, the is still some specialized steel making and several large coke ovens operational. Nowadays, the main crop of Alabama is Mercedes Benz cars, fat people, crooked politicians and football players (Roll Tide).

My disc harrow work will be in full swing next spring as I till my cover crop under and prepare for seeding either Bermuda or Bahia. After than, the disk will likely lay idle until I sell it.

/ More weight for my disc harrow #12  
Concrete weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot, 2 80 pound bags is about 1 cubic foot....... Build a form, pore a bunch of "sacrete" into form and add some lifting eyes...

Dale

/ More weight for my disc harrow #13  
I strap four 5 gallon plastic buckets filled with concrete to my offset disk. About 110 lb per bucket.

Offset disc,drag-1.JPG

Good luck

/ More weight for my disc harrow #15  
Old railroad ties work good too. They are heavy and can be added or removed as needed plus cheaper than steel. Just use a couple ratchet straps to hold them on.

/ More weight for my disc harrow #16  
Set of disk and speed of tractor can have heavy impact on this also. Also if you have thick grass you need to take care of that first.T

Set disk angle as sharp as you can, and disk slow to help prevent the blades riding up out the dirt. If it is thick grass on it spray to kill and if possible burn it off. If you have any kind of plow that will disturb the soil run it first. If you have box blade lower the rippers and keep box blade clear of the dirt and run the rippers through the dirt. A heavy disk being pulled at high speed over thick grass will still not cut well. Often when I am cutting I over lap my disk by 50% to help running on the slower speed side. As has been pointed out to some degree a light weight disk bearings will often not hold up to much added weight. Just not large enough.

/ More weight for my disc harrow #17  
I Put a 80 gal. galvanized water tank with hose bib at bottom, depending what kind of ground I'm working depends how much water to add or remove. Works very well

/ More weight for my disc harrow #18  
The 5 gallon buckets full of concrete look like a great idea. I made a wood box that straddled the frame of my disk and I add rail tie plates as needed. I could see a similar wood frame working well to hold the concrete buckets.

/ More weight for my disc harrow #20  
oosik, I've a disk very similar to yours. I looked at the pictures numerous times and I just can't visualize how you get that blob to sit on the disk?
It seems that the center angle iron that attaches rear of disk to the top link would interfere? If I could figure out how you set that blob on the disk, I'd copy your idea in a heartbeat!
The next time you have the blob planted on the disk, would you "please" take a picture? Thanks much if you can do so. Greg