Most cost effective way to divert water

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Hey everyone ... I have a property that has a field. The state has about 4 swales which diverts runoff onto my property. Last year i dug trenches with a shovel into the dirt to help contain and direct this water, this was a short term desperate fix.

The flow is relatively constant for most trenches. They range from 4-10" deep and about 5-10" wide. I have a treeline in the middle of the field, and that's naturally where all the water wants to flow, and that tree line ends up flowing into a creek which feeds into a reservoir.

The trenches I created act as "channels" to take this water from the states swales, to my treeline. I just roughly measure on google maps the distance of all my trenches and they are as follows:

trench 1 660 ft
trench 2 340 ft
trench 3 285 ft
trench 4 326 ft

So i'm wondering, what is the most cost effective way to properly build these waterways? I've seen things like french drains, dry creek beds etc but much of that seems mighty expensive. I really don't have too much of an issue just having trenches dug out from the dirt, but I believe that is not good for long term?

I'd love to know what others think about this as I have not much knowledge on landscaping or drainage.

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #2  
I have more questions than answers. When it rains a lot how much do they flow? Why is the state “diverting “ the water on your property is there a highway there? What is the natural drainage across your property?

/ Most cost effective way to divert water
They flow very good when it rains, i'm not sure how i can best answer, but they fill up. They are diverting water because the road used to get so much water on it that it iced over really bad, and the state put pipes underneath the road, which then connect to swales which then dump onto our property. We learned this after we purchased the property and tried speaking with the state and lawyers and it seems like there wasn't much we could do.

The property does naturally drain into the creek i mentioned, except before my trenches, water would just disperse everywhere, the trenches were an attempt to concentrate the water into the trenches and get the water off the property quicker making it drain faster into the large creek.

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #4  
I would appeal to the state for assistance. It sound's like something a road grader/maintianer could easily handle by combining swales into one extending to creek.

The state won’t help. And it’s not like they could connect them to run down the road, the road is probably as far as 75 ft from my property in some places.

so the problem i have is just like i stated, i have point A which is where the state swales meet my property, i have point B which is the mouth of a creek and i have my field in between both points.

i need to figure out the best water ways to create to get the water from point a to point b without spending a fortune.

the trenches i dug i am ok with but I’m not sure if they r the best idea or if they have negative longer term effects

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #6  
Can you divert the water directly downslope to the creek via a rock lined (rip rap) out fall? Rock keeps the outfall from becoming a gorge and slows the water velocity down as it washes into the creek.

Do your current channels run cross slope? There is nothing wrong with having regular ditches permanently if the slope isn't too steep, except that they need maintenance periodically. Make them big and deep enough so they are part of the landform and let them grow vegetation in the bottom to keep them from getting carved out.

I'm a big fan of concrete half culverts to line permanent ditches with but that gets expensive. Then you need a rock outfall to slow the water down or its going to cause problems in whatever waterway or landform you direct it to.

There's people that paint geotextile with pure Portland cement paint, or dip it like paper maché to build stuff. Ditch liners are one of the most common uses for this material. Done well it's pretty strong but it requires practice.

I am lucky that all the water naturally flows downhill, i just realized that my one largest and most flowing trench is overflowing because i have it hitting levelish ground, but i think i can divert into another trench that it can also naturally flow into, but would then flow behind the area it’s currently flooding.

my friend in landscaping told me about rip rap and it seems awesome, but it seems like i have so much area to cover that rock gets very expensive. (But i don’t know bc I’m inexperienced here)

put it this way, if i could just dig out trenches like i have now, no liners or anything and just have to maintain them filling in or unclogging them, id be ok with that. I just don’t know if there are longer term effects, i do believe i have water which sleeps through the walls of the trenches in spots because I’ll get random areas of wet ground which i believe is “under flow” for lack of a better term.

If i do need some kind of lining/pipe then i need to know the cheapest way out.

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #8  
The single bottom plow is a good idea. Making wide shallow channels that are seeded is also an option. Do you have a tractor or equipment?

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #9  
It's not acceptable for the State DOT to simply divert water onto yours or anyone's property, and expect you to pay for water management. Do they have a water easement on your property. If not, then I would contact legal help to petition the State to assist you financially in this water management project. I am only thinking of the excessive and disproportionate cost to you. Because this could get very expensive, to manage water runoff in these high volumes and avoid serious surface erosion issues.

Perhaps diverting the runoff to a nearby surface tank/pond to hold and retain the water during summer months, while it recharges during late winter melt and spring rains. These ponds can often be built with a bulldozer in a week long effort, and hold 300,000 gals or more. You will need to get a reasonable estimate of runoff in gallons, if you decide to go the pond option, because that will control the size of your retention pond. Such a pond can be lined with impermeable clay for year long retention, or permeable compacted sand for allowing ground water recharging.

Honestly, any flow channels you build should be lined with concrete to limit surface erosion and insure long term operations. And that's where the costs go up significantly.

/ Most cost effective way to divert water #10  
Pics would help. If it's intermittent and not a lot of water, vegetation lined channels would do the trick. If it is a significant amount of water, you might have a nice source of water for a retention pond. We're all pretty much flying blind here guessing about what you have.