most likely a controversial mod.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #21  
Great job. Good to see someone overcome the 'taboo' of ROPS modifications. How do you sleep at night? Many people here would toss and turn forever feeling like they had just killed their spouse and be afraid they're going to get caught. :)

I solved the ROPS vs door problem by buying a tractor that fit thru my 7 foot opening. I brought a tape measure to every dealer and measured everything... height, width , length with/without implements, and attachments.

I have 1/2 inch height to spare going thru my doors.

Again, great job.

:thumbsup:
Did the same. The first thing I did with my new tractor (my most expensive vehicle purchase ever) was to break out the saws-all and cut 6"+ of the exhaust pipe off.
" 1/2" height to spare"--pffft, you call that close! The exhaust flapper I added to the cut off pipe scrapes a gouge in the door header. :D
(Though, a year later I built a barn with 10'+ door, so it's not an issue.)

/ most likely a controversial mod.
To address a couple concerns I measured the height from the seat in my backhoe and other tractor to the top of the ROP and I'm still a few inches higher after cutting 13" out. As far as strength goes it's a no issue 1/4" thick with a 1/4" thick insert is a big over kill. The original 20" over my head hit & hooked limbs on trees as well. It would fit in all my other buildings but the shop is the only heated one for working in winter. As far as recommending goes I think it's up to the individual to do what they want with their tractor but there are those which this may not be a good idea.
Have a great day guys and thanks for looking and commenting.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #23  
One also needs to keep in mind with safety modifications that many/most dealerships will not work on tractors or even riding lawn mowers with any changes to safety equipment. They will not take trade ins also unless the modifications are put back to original, as per my New Holland dealer. I suppose if someone figures they will never need work done at a dealership or a trade in for another tractor they are ok to do what ever they please. We use diesel Kubota Zero turns(3) and gasoline John Deere mowers (2) for mowing around trees in our orchards and both dealerships have refused to work on both types until I drove home and handed them the deflector shoots we had taken off. They are a PIA in thicker grass. Now we prop them up with bungee straps when necessary but keep them on the units.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #24  
One also needs to keep in mind with safety modifications that many/most dealerships will not work on tractors or even riding lawn mowers with any changes to safety equipment. They will not take trade ins also unless the modifications are put back to original, as per my New Holland dealer. I suppose if someone figures they will never need work done at a dealership or a trade in for another tractor they are ok to do what ever they please. We use diesel Kubota Zero turns(3) and gasoline John Deere mowers (2) for mowing around trees in our orchards and both dealerships have refused to work on both types until I drove home and handed them the deflector shoots we had taken off. They are a PIA in thicker grass. Now we prop them up with bungee straps when necessary but keep them on the units.

These things do need to be considered before making modifications. I suspect the repair issue is regional. Not an issue where I live. I took my mower in for service many times without a deflector (I don't even know where my deflector for that mower is!).

I can understand dealers not wanting to take trade-ins and thus responsibility for machines with modified safety features - especially a modified ROPS. However, there are plenty of like minded people in the private market who will see the modifications as a benefit. I just sold a tractor and it had the seat sensor disabled and the PTO shield was not on it. I told the buyer about these two items and said I can get the PTO shield from the barn and put it on for him and he said "don't bother, the first thing I'll do is take it off". He was also very happy that the seat sensor was already disabled.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #25  
A friend of mine did the same thing to his new BX1870 right after he bought it.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #26  
Why didn't you just let the air out of the tires :)

/ most likely a controversial mod. #27  
There was a reason the ROPs were made as tall as they were at the manufacturer.

Really? How does the mfg know that you might roll and the rops hit low soft ground, while your head position happen to line up with a higher boulder or a tree stump?
They don't. It's not a fix all, it's an attempt to minimize their legal expenses with a 'reasonable' solution.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #28  
There made that "high" to quickly stop the "momentum" of a roll over on a hillside,
shorten it and that ability is removed.
It's too bad they don't make them "adjustable" for height, it would be a win, win for the owner.
Allot of people don't even have hills where they are, personally, I would have done the same mod,
but if the OP does have a hilly property, when working in that area, just buckle up and hang on if a roll occurs.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #29  
Good job on shortening it.
I would have taken it off and sold it for scrap.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #30  
Good job on shortening it.
I would have taken it off and sold it for scrap.