Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #1  
Tractor
JD 2032R
I got this idea to mount my chainsaw on the side of my loader so I can reach up and trim limbs with it. Anybody ever hear of such a thing or see it tried (aside from the obvious safety concerns).

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #2  
A quick google search reveals a bunch of hydraulic driven chain saws "on a stick" that mount on a loader.

Last edited:
   / Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #3  
I wonder how you would control the throttle?

My other thought would be you better make some kind of a bomb proof attachment design so that saw (presumably at wide open throttle) doesn't break loose and come down on the hood/operating station area. That would be bad news really quickly.

Or maybe check these guys out:

Home

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming
I don't know if my JD2032r has got enough hydraulic power to run a hydraulic saw. Besides, it would be out of my budget.

BTW, my wife doesn't know about any of this.

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #6  
prolly be better on an excavator?

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #7  
It works pretty well. I have a Limb Hog that is a lot like Smokey's. It doessn't take much flow to run them.

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #8  
I don't know if my JD2032r has got enough hydraulic power to run a hydraulic saw. Besides, it would be out of my budget.

BTW, my wife doesn't know about any of this.
Smokeydog also posted that his limb cutting generates a lot of material he has to pickup with his grapple. Once you cut limbs, then something has to be done with them.

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #9  
The problem with these loader mounted saws is visibility. You can't see the libs you want to cut because of the height of the limb, the cab obscures visibility if you have a cab and the tree limbs around the limb you are cutting get in the way. I have a wireless camera system on my tractor so I put the magnetic camera and battery on the saw frame. It worked perfectly other than the tree limbs broke the camera antenna. So I mounted the camera in a piece of 6" metal pipe about a foot long and attached it to the saw boom. Now I have perfect visibility and it's indestructible.

/ Mount chain saw on loader for limb trimming #10  
Yep, I cut limbs and come back with my grapple bucket to clean up. It would be much better with a second tractor and operator. But... my saw works great and is much better than climbing or hiring someone to climb.