Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer
Gary I hope theres no DOT scale out in the woods I might be a tad over 5.700, maybe 5,725 :) Interesting pic T, wonder what's the reason used. Stopping just to make sure its not loaded 67,000 lbs? No mirrors? Whats the real reason?

This thread topic, being "20-ft on CAR TRAILER" could be informative and specific. Who knows the real deal? Thats a nice trailer, looks like Europe. We could get all stringent like Europe too and it sure seems like theres a lot of support (on this forum) for more stringent hauling rules. TBN fellas be calling 911 as I went by.....

In my case wth all the cellphones out there I think I've settled on dropping the cans right at the forest road if I can get permission from the guy who lives there. Once I'm in the woods its the wild west. Pretty sure I'm gonna build 'the fittings'.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #42  
I doubt most tiltbed movers want to drive out in the woods, pretty much gotta find the "right guy" to agree to that. But theres time. If its a good snow year the roads won't firm up until Apr or May. Gary I hope theres no DOT scale out in the woods I might be a tad over 5,700, maybe 5,725 :)

Interesting pic T, wonder what's the reason. Stopping just to make sure its not loaded 67,000 lbs? No mirrors? Whats the real reasons? This thread topic, being "20-ft on CAR TRAILER" could be informative and specific if it keeps on topic. Anyone know the real deal?

In my case I think I've settled on dropping the cans right at the forest road if I can get permission from the guy who lives there. I often see contractor eqpt staged there. Pretty sure I'm gonna build 'the fittings' because this gets the can right to the site. I can do that over winter, be ready in the springtime. Today's forecast is 12-24" snow.

Container is not tied down, truck has no mirrors, it's probably considered a commercial load rather than personal, etc... It's in Europe so who knows what the regs are.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer
Yup could be union regulations too.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #44  
Can you do this after hours and go slow? Do you know any farmers? If so go talk to a farmer about renting running gear for a wagon from him for a day or two. You can't go fast but it'll get the job done. Lots of farms have spare gear so it shouldn't be hard to find. I've even seen them used for sale for cheap. They don't have brakes and are only designed for slow speeds but they are rugged so they will have no problem going up a trail.
gaphill8ton.jpg

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #45  
If moving it in the snow and/or on frozen ground, couldn't you fashion a skid frame to drag it on, may something like an old stone boat.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #46  
I doubt most tiltbed movers want to drive out in the woods, pretty much gotta find the "right guy" to agree to that. But theres time. If its a good snow year the roads won't firm up until Apr or May. Gary I hope theres no DOT scale out in the woods I might be a tad over 5,700, maybe 5,725 :)

Interesting pic T, wonder what's the reason. Stopping just to make sure its not loaded 67,000 lbs? No mirrors? Whats the real reasons? This thread topic, being "20-ft on CAR TRAILER" could be informative and specific if it keeps on topic. Anyone know the real deal?

In my case I think I've settled on dropping the cans right at the forest road if I can get permission from the guy who lives there. I often see contractor eqpt staged there. Pretty sure I'm gonna build 'the fittings' because this gets the can right to the site. I can do that over winter, be ready in the springtime. Today's forecast is 12-24" snow.

Guys that move storage sheds used have a 4wd since they have to drop the sheds in some nasty locations.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #47  
Guy that delivered my shed and my neighbors had an articulating trailer and a "Mule" with modular wheels that moved the sheds in ways that I couldn't believe.

Couple hundred each but he placed them perfectly in about 10 minutes (once off the trailer) each in the boonies.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #48  
In Ohio I moved the boxes on a deck over trailer on a Sunday with a 4wheel drive dually dump truck. 100 miles 1 way with the tail lights and turn signals from Harbor Freight. Tool shed painted on the back doors. No problem dragging them around with a old 64 horse power Field Boss ,after getting them to the farm.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #49  
I know a guy that moved one 80 yards across his property by adding the wheels and tongue and pulled it with a Jeep TJ on 33s The wheels were just old Jeep hubs that he drilled thru the side and bolted them on and used the stock TJ tires/rims. Sure it was a bit tongue heavy on the TJ but it did the job.

I wouldn't think twice about doing similar and pulling with my half ton.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #50  
Sodo - your method should work fine but the only thing I would caution is being very careful on the public roads. I don't know what sort of roads you'll be on but theses containers catch a lot of wind and even though they are not that heavy tow a lot more difficult than their weight would imply. Having your trailer axles so close to center be careful of it swaying, especially if it is a windy day.

Here is a picture of the last one I moved, towed it about 35 miles loaded (about 14,000 lbs between container and cargo) and then about 25 miles empty.

Attachments

• image-657107421.jpg
    image-657107421.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 482