Moving a "modular building"

/ Moving a "modular building" #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
This may not be the right place to post this, but, here goes.

A fellow about 10 miles from me (zip code 12484, near Kingston NY) is offering a "modular building" 24x30 for sale, but has no means to move it. He did provide the number of a fellow, with no opinion as to his ability, that does this for a living. Apparently. So far, no response from him at all.

The building, from photos, seems to be a typical, for this area, ""Amish built" shed/garage, in that is is on 4x4 skids with a plywood floor. It bolts together length wise, in 12x30 sections. I've not bothered to go look yet as I wanted an idea of the moving costs before going any further. That alone may make it unworkable.

The local shed companies seem to want to only move what they originally sold and I've been unable to find anyone that advertises such services. Some "house movers" but so far away as to be unlikely to be reasonable in costs.

/ Moving a "modular building" #2  
If you don't mind dismantling it you may be able to connect with somebody with a hay trailer. You can't readily put a twelve foot wide piece on the highway but if you can secure it vertically it should be a go.

/ Moving a "modular building" #3  
I would think it was assembled by joining the 2 sections together in the middle, so it should be easy to get it apart again. I would ask the seller if he knows who delivered it to him initially, and see if you could get in touch with them. I have an Amish shed, and it was put together with screws, which makes it very easy to dis-assemble it into managable size pieces , and move it on a small flatbed trailer.

/ Moving a "modular building" #4  
I have never done it, but I have seen it done more than a few times, both multistory modular homes and offices, and I would only let a pro with insurance do it. It is all too easy to jostle a segment and do serious damage.

I would expect that the building would be close to free, or being paid to take it. 12' wide is fully permitted oversized load territory.

All the best,

Peter

/ Moving a "modular building" #5  
Any mobile home outfit should be able to stuff axles under it and get the wide load permit.

/ Moving a "modular building" #6  
24 feet, as somebody already pointed out it was probably delivered in two 12' wide sections.

/ Moving a "modular building" #7  
15 years ago I spent 5 years inspecting the manufacture, transport and erection of 100s of modular units from simple storage buildings to fancy offices and living quarters.

A true transportable modular; each unit has a steel frame under each unit, frame has hangers for set up for installation of one or more axles (depending on weight), and are highway transportable that way. The one in question would be two 12' X 30' modules connected along the 30' length after setting on pier blocks or permanent concrete foundation.

The OPs description doe not include the interior finishes that could increase the access to the connectors.

Believe me this is not a DIY project. It takes specialized knowledge and equipment to disassemble install axels, move, reset and repair finishes. Modular buildings are designed to be relocated but it probably costs 3 times as much to relocate as it did to set the first time.

OP needs to find a company that makes a business of servicing modular dealers for these functions. LOL

Ron