Moving a propane tank

/ Moving a propane tank #1  

joeyd

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM 353HST
A friend of mine wants to move an empty 500 gal propane tank to the side of his new pole barn to use for heating it. Can I move it with my 35 hp tractor? My FEL is rated at 2875# at the pins and 1241# at full height. I just have to lift it 4-6 " for ground clearance and move it about 100-150'. I looked it up and an empty tank should weigh around 1100#. Has anyone done this before?

/ Moving a propane tank #2  
hitch up some rear ballast and go for it.

/ Moving a propane tank #4  
You can move it as the guys say. But you might want to make sure your buddy has checked the codes for building setback for a tank that size. We put in a 500 gal tank for a generator at my Mom’s house and it’s had to be across the driveway to be far enough away.

/ Moving a propane tank #5  
Moving it with straps or a chain is the RIGHT way to move one!

standard.jpg

MY propane supplier said his empty tank was about 1500 pounds...

I also moved one with 275 gallons of propane in it...

SR

/ Moving a propane tank #6  
I've moved 250 tanks (one contained 50 gallons) with 3 point forks so fel should do the 500 with no trouble. Just tie it down good.

/ Moving a propane tank
Moving it with straps or a chain is the RIGHT way to move one!

standard.jpg

MY propane supplier said his empty tank was about 1500 pounds...

I also moved one with 275 gallons of propane in it...

SR

This is what I had in mind using chains and a little less play in the tank, thanks!

/ Moving a propane tank #8  
Empty a 500# tank won’t be any problem for your machine. I’ll bet you can rock or slide it with a pry bar- RS1 style!

/ Moving a propane tank #9  
That's how I moved it to my house.

/ Moving a propane tank
Empty a 500# tank won’t be any problem for your machine. I’ll bet you can rock or slide it with a pry bar- RS1 style!

I thought about that when it gets close. There won't be enough room to set it square with the building so we will have to muscle it to get it set where he wants it.