Moving a shed

/ Moving a shed #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
In another thread, I spoke of wanting to move my shed to another location on my property.
Thought I’d start my own thread to update in case I actually move it.
IMG_3447.JPG

I consider the front the 16 ft eve side facing the tractor, it has 8 ft wide double door. The gable end is 12 ft.

Shed was started in late 1996 as I was waiting for my building permit for my house.
19961215_0001_MD_Home_NewHouse_Construction_.jpeg

Unfortunately, I did not put skids under it. It has pt 4x4s floor joists running every 2 ft apart in the 12 ft direction. Those sit on blocks in the front. In the middle and back there are two 8 ft pt 4x6s running the 16 ft direction, on blocks to support the floor joists. If I had used a solid 16 ft here, it would be a skid. I believe I can push or pull a 16 ft 6x6 skid under the back side, and lift the front side to put a skid under it.

As seen in the first picture, I added a 16 ft long by 10ft? Wide lean to off the back of the shed. To move the shed, the lean to has to be unattached.
IMG_3445.JPG

Before I built my barn, I dug enough dirt out from under the lean to so I could park my former L3130 tractor under it.
20060402_MD_home_023_L3130.jpeg

I used to park my little Massey tractor in the shed, and might again.

/ Moving a shed
Been lamenting how to remove the back lean to. It’s a nice shingled roof. I can cut across the shingles where the roof needs to separate, put a header and posts under the high side. Once separated from the shed and with runners under the shed, pull the shed away from the lean to.

Tonight I had the idea to build a new shed floor and walls under the lean to roof , and make a 2nd shed from it.

The reason to move the shed, I want to extend my barn, and the shed would be in the way.

/ Moving a shed #3  
I have a 15' by 20' log cabin that was down at the far end of my little lake. I tried moving it by sliding skid underneath. I turned out to be too heavy - even for my neighbors big 400 hp tractor. Probably for the best anyhow. It would have been a long move ( 1500 feet ) and over some pretty rough terrain.

SO ........ I numbered each log - disassembled - moved the logs, many loads - reassembled at the new location. It took longer but worked out fine.

Behind the tractor. My little log cabin in its final resting place.
IMG_0003.jpeg

/ Moving a shed #4  
The OSB sides are shot.

Pull them off. Select any for salvage, burn the rest.

Find a point in the skeleton to tie chain to the tractor, drive forward. Shed will be down. Salvage whatever lumber you can for the newly constructed shed at the new location. Use new metal for sides and roof.

Yes, it's probably more expensive, but most likely much safer.

/ Moving a shed #6  
However you do it consider that NOW, and for the near future, you've got freezing temps. Then there will be a mud season, then probably the soil will get baked dry.
If you put it off long enough you might get freezing temps again, like next year, but then in your area maybe not.

My Vermont inclination would be to wait for frozen ground. We had several sheds on runners that would get "dragged" in winter. Stuff drags easy on ice.
My Virginia and Mississippi experience says wait for baked ground.

/ Moving a shed #7  
Is the shed frozen in the ground?
We just tried to move a trailer and the tires were frozen to ground.

/ Moving a shed #8  
The OSB sides are shot.

Pull them off. Select any for salvage, burn the rest.

Find a point in the skeleton to tie chain to the tractor, drive forward. Shed will be down. Salvage whatever lumber you can for the newly constructed shed at the new location. Use new metal for sides and roof.

Yes, it's probably more expensive, but most likely much safer.
OSB was the first thing I saw, even if it wasn't so trashed it's probably soaked a bunch of moisture and weighs a ton. I can't imagine a good way to move that shed without taking it down OP, sorry.

/ Moving a shed #9  
How far are planning to move it? I moved an old commercial grade green house about 150 feet off the side of my pole barn, it was originally on a slab I left it up when I moved it , but did do a bit of prep and reinforcement. It makes a great 24' deep 3 sided storage building.

/ Moving a shed #10  
Following