Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #31  
I have a modern diesel truck and don’t have any modern diesel problems, either. :)
I didn't knock your truck, actually I think they are getting a little better with these DEF diesel pick up trucks, but when I purchased my truck in 2015 there were a lot of problems, so I opted for gas against my wifes wishes, gas truck works great for me I'm small time, if I had to haul what you do I would have a diesel, big time verses small time. :)

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #32  
2005 GMC 2500 crew cab, 360,000 miles, 6.0 gas 4 x 4, 410 gears, pulling a 27 foot gooseneck. I had replace the engine at 210,000 miles and the transfer case at 355,000 miles. Purchased new.

2004 GMC 3500 crew cab, 451,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 2 x 4, 373 gears pulling the same 27 foot gooseneck. I had to replace the injectors 2 times. The second time it was done correctly and it was awesome from then on. Purchased used with 69,000 miles. My son totaled it, he was unhurt.

2007 GMC 3500 crew cab, 442,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 4 x 4, 373 gears pulling a 30 foot gooseneck. The transfer case is being pulled as I write. Purchased used with 109,000 miles.

2002 GMC 3500 extended cab, 236,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 4 x 4, 373 gears pulling the 30 foot goose neck. Purchased used with 185,000 miles. It is not as strong pulling as the 07 but it gets the job done.

As the above shows I run them for as long as I can. The diesels all have the same cons. 1) The front axles are all wearing the tires. I think most of that has to do with the weight of the gooseneck. 2) The hoses on the hydro-booster leak.

I would never by another new truck for work. I did buy a new 2020 Chevy 1500 2 x 4 crew cab for my bride. I do not care for it. The steering and the brakes are too touchy. She loves it.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #33  
2005 GMC 2500 crew cab, 360,000 miles, 6.0 gas 4 x 4, 410 gears, pulling a 27 foot gooseneck. I had replace the engine at 210,000 miles and the transfer case at 355,000 miles. Purchased new.

2004 GMC 3500 crew cab, 451,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 2 x 4, 373 gears pulling the same 27 foot gooseneck. I had to replace the injectors 2 times. The second time it was done correctly and it was awesome from then on. Purchased used with 69,000 miles. My son totaled it, he was unhurt.

2007 GMC 3500 crew cab, 442,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 4 x 4, 373 gears pulling a 30 foot gooseneck. The transfer case is being pulled as I write. Purchased used with 109,000 miles.

2002 GMC 3500 extended cab, 236,000 miles, 6.6 diesel, 4 x 4, 373 gears pulling the 30 foot goose neck. Purchased used with 185,000 miles. It is not as strong pulling as the 07 but it gets the job done.

As the above shows I run them for as long as I can. The diesels all have the same cons. 1) The front axles are all wearing the tires. I think most of that has to do with the weight of the gooseneck. 2) The hoses on the hydro-booster leak.

I would never by another new truck for work. I did buy a new 2020 Chevy 1500 2 x 4 crew cab for my bride. I do not care for it. The steering and the brakes are too touchy. She loves it.

I like your thinking. The GM pre-‘08 HD’s may be some of the best diesel trucks ever built.

I always look for a ‘07 3500HD reg cab Duramax/Ally with the center console and power options, but I can’t find one not rusted. If you do find one, the seller wants $45,000.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #34  
I have a modern diesel truck and don’t have any modern diesel problems, either. :)
I think you are one of those people who use their diesel hard enough to avoid the problems that happen when these HD diesel‘s are used more like a car.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #36  

I take it you like your Duramaxes...I remember when they were first introduced. People scoffed..."cheap Isuzu engine"...time has sure proved them wrong!

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck
Well the Silverado HD gas truck I was looking at sold. And the more I think of it, the less inclined I am to go gas because the pulling power just isn’t an upgrade.

Most times I go to look at a Ram HD with Cummins diesel it sells before I even get there to look at it. Those things sell like hotcakes. But, in the course of my shopping I have gotten to drive all three HD brands with diesels. Ford Powerstroke, GM Duramax, and Ram Cummins. All 2019 or newer, so the latest generations. These are used trucks that typically have 80k to 150k on them after a few years of use. What I’ve noticed is the Duramax seems to be the least reliable of the bunch (no surprise to me). Hard to find them that haven’t had or have issues. CELs, oil leaks, emissions issues, wiring harness issues, etc. Kind of scares me. So I marked those off the list. Started focusing on Ram and Ford. Honestly I have been a Ram/Jeep guy for 20 years but the Ford Super Duty is hard to beat. Aluminum body keeps payload rating up even on the ¾ tons. Powerstroke engine seems to get glowing reviews with lots of them well over 300k miles with almost no issues. Cargo bed is 6’8” so just slightly more volume. More power, better MPG. And I just kind of like how they look. I completely stumbled upon a 2019 F-250 XLT with Powerstroke diesel and 81k miles on the clock yesterday. Wasn’t looking for it, just fell on it. It was sitting in the back of the lot at the local Ford dealer. They said they had just taken it in on trade and hadn’t even run it through service for inspection yet. Before anybody could snag it up (again, these things sell like hotcakes) I asked to drive it and ended up buying it same day.

Look forward to seeing how it pulls and handles my trailer in the real world compared to all the ½ ton trucks I’ve had my entire life, and how daily life is with a HD diesel. Should be interesting. Might shoot some videos. What I will miss about my Ram is the luxury. Ventilated leather, LED lighting, heated steering wheel, super crisp backup cam display, etc. The frills. What I will love about the Super Duty is the power and complete lack of concern when using it as a truck.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #38  
Well the Silverado HD gas truck I was looking at sold. And the more I think of it, the less inclined I am to go gas because the pulling power just isn’t an upgrade.

Most times I go to look at a Ram HD with Cummins diesel it sells before I even get there to look at it. Those things sell like hotcakes. But, in the course of my shopping I have gotten to drive all three HD brands with diesels. Ford Powerstroke, GM Duramax, and Ram Cummins. All 2019 or newer, so the latest generations. These are used trucks that typically have 80k to 150k on them after a few years of use. What I’ve noticed is the Duramax seems to be the least reliable of the bunch (no surprise to me). Hard to find them that haven’t had or have issues. CELs, oil leaks, emissions issues, wiring harness issues, etc. Kind of scares me. So I marked those off the list. Started focusing on Ram and Ford. Honestly I have been a Ram/Jeep guy for 20 years but the Ford Super Duty is hard to beat. Aluminum body keeps payload rating up even on the ¾ tons. Powerstroke engine seems to get glowing reviews with lots of them well over 300k miles with almost no issues. Cargo bed is 6’8” so just slightly more volume. More power, better MPG. And I just kind of like how they look. I completely stumbled upon a 2019 F-250 XLT with Powerstroke diesel and 81k miles on the clock yesterday. Wasn’t looking for it, just fell on it. It was sitting in the back of the lot at the local Ford dealer. They said they had just taken it in on trade and hadn’t even run it through service for inspection yet. Before anybody could snag it up (again, these things sell like hotcakes) I asked to drive it and ended up buying it same day.

Look forward to seeing how it pulls and handles my trailer in the real world compared to all the ½ ton trucks I’ve had my entire life, and how daily life is with a HD diesel. Should be interesting. Might shoot some videos. What I will miss about my Ram is the luxury. Ventilated leather, LED lighting, heated steering wheel, super crisp backup cam display, etc. The frills. What I will love about the Super Duty is the power and complete lack of concern when using it as a truck.
Congrats on your purchase.

Go back and speak to the dealer about printing you a new mancard (XLT truck, instead of all the foo-foo stuff). 😁

The new diesels pull like freight trains.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #39  
You'll be happy with it.

Just make sure you load it and run it hard every month or so. These new diesels run hot and need a good load to get the temps up to prevent sludging up.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #40  
You picked a solid truck; that said, they do have their own gremlins and some are rather unique. If you've not checked out a Ford forum yet, consider Ford Truck Enthusiasts; I found it a great resource.