Moving loader up without starting engine.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
My L5740 won't turn over. I'll start another thread on that later.

My question pertains to having it loaded and taken to the tractor dealer. The Front End Loader is down on the ground (nothing attached). I can't raise it because I can't start the tractor.

I know a roll-back wrecker can come get the tractor but I don't know how they will load it if the front end loader is on the ground. I thought of a possible way to lift it but want to ask if anyone could think of anything it would hurt.

If I put the loader in float, can I raise it with a jack and then take it out of float and count on that keeping the loader high enough to get it on the wrecker and to the shop?

I know there have been others with dead tractors and loaders on the ground. How do you get it loaded on a trailer or wrecker?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #2  
Cut a piece of angle iron to lay over the cylinder rod after its lifted up. Or just winch it up backwards and let the dealer deal with un loading it. They’ll have other machines to lift it up so it wouldn’t be a problem. Start your other thread with the symptoms and maybe we can help you get it fixed without having to pay a tow bill and dealer charge.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #3  
The entire Loader, frame and bucket, is removable as a unit. See your Operator's Manual.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #4  
The entire Loader, frame and bucket, is removable as a unit. See your Operator's Manual.

That’s going to be tough to manage without hydraulic power.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine.
Thanks, 4570 man.

Jeff, well, yeah, the entire loader can be removed. How would you recommend I do that if the tractor won't start? From memory, hydraulics are required to adjust the loader and remove it.

My hydraulics don't work if the engine is not running.

Last edited:
   / Moving loader up without starting engine. #6  
Thanks, 4570 man.

Jeff, well, yeah, the entire loader can be removed. How would you recommend I do that if the tractor won't start? From memory, hydraulics are required to adjust the loader and remove it.

My hydraulics don't work if the engine is not running.

Hook up to another tractor's hyd. Should be able to use rear remotes or fel controls. With no info on the tractor not cranking, if a geared trans you may be to put it in gear and pull it backwards with control being held to raise the fel and the pump should be running. If the engine turns over with battery that may even do it. Know that will raise the back arms.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #7  
My L5740 won't turn over. I'll start another thread on that later.

My question pertains to having it loaded and taken to the tractor dealer. The Front End Loader is down on the ground (nothing attached). I can't raise it because I can't start the tractor.

I know a roll-back wrecker can come get the tractor but I don't know how they will load it if the front end loader is on the ground. I thought of a possible way to lift it but want to ask if anyone could think of anything it would hurt.

If I put the loader in float, can I raise it with a jack and then take it out of float and count on that keeping the loader high enough to get it on the wrecker and to the shop?

I know there have been others with dead tractors and loaders on the ground. How do you get it loaded on a trailer or wrecker?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

That will work as will having another tractor provide the hydraulics.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #8  
That will work as will having another tractor provide the hydraulics.

It would only work if it sucked fluid into the cylinder as it raised up and I’m not sure if it would or not.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #9  
It has worked for me on a couple of occasions.
Another benefit of a simple geared tractor with no power shift or power shuttle you can tow them in gear and the pump will run.

Also what can be done is run your chain or cable under the bucket, then with the loader valve in float the loader bucket will rise to the level of the pulling cable or chain.
If you fasten your pull point high on the tractor frame your bucket will lift considerably.

/ Moving loader up without starting engine. #10  
It has worked for me on a couple of occasions.
Another benefit of a simple geared tractor with no power shift or power shuttle you can tow them in gear and the pump will run.

Or you could just use his other tractor to lift it up. There’s zero chance I’d trade my HST for the benefit of roll starting. And I doubt any of the nice gear trans could be rolled. I think you’d be limited to the simplest ( worst ) dry clutch to do that.