Moving shipping containers

/ Moving shipping containers #21  
I wouldn't drag it over exposed granite, but anything less then that, at a snails pace won't hurt those things.

I do wonder if the "one use" containers are any less for strength? I doubt it, as they must meet certain universal standards for use on board.

/ Moving shipping containers #22  
The "one use" containers are ones that have made a single trip across the ocean and then put up for sale. (No, I don't know why they don't reuse them for more trips. I have a single use container.) They are typically in better shape mechanically and cosmetically than other containers.

/ Moving shipping containers #23  
Would putting the back on a 2x10x8, cupped side up, help make it easier to skid across the ground? Or would it just pull right off the board? In my mind, it seems that would help - lift front a little, drag on back corners with board to make it want to ride over the ground vs cutting as it goes.

Unless you attach it to the container then the container will just slide on it. I used 4x6 PT blocks I had handy and slid the container on them. Just drag it a bit, move the back set of blocks to the front, and drag more. Same method as rolling a heavy object on pipes except there was no way my ground would have allowed pipes to roll across it (too bumpy and soft).

/ Moving shipping containers #24  
The "one use" containers are ones that have made a single trip across the ocean and then put up for sale. (No, I don't know why they don't reuse them for more trips. I have a single use container.) They are typically in better shape mechanically and cosmetically than other containers.

Single trip containers are the result of trade deficits with the USA. We simply import more crap than we export so when there's nothing going the other direction we end up with imported containers too.

/ Moving shipping containers #25  
Single trip containers are the result of trade deficits with the USA. We simply import more crap than we export so when there's nothing going the other direction we end up with imported containers too.

Right - they aren't made inferior with intent to be used once. A one-trip is generally the best grade you can buy since it is basically brand new - unless something leaky was put inside or it was rough handled at port. Unless there is some other type I'm unaware of that is intentionally made to be disposable and only used once.... The people/places around here at least, single trip was best they sold.

/ Moving shipping containers #26  
I was able to drag my in-laws 20 ft container with the Kioti

Do you have any steel pipe from a drilling rig? If you can get up on the pipe, you can easily roll from place the place...The trick is having enough pieces of pipe, some 2x4 runners for the ground and a few helpers

/ Moving shipping containers #27  
I used pine logs and my tractor W/FEL to move the container to its final location. Lifted up a corner added a log pulled it 8 or 10 feet added another log and so on. I did not want to skid it because I had a number of pine stumps an inch or so above grade that would hang it up. Once in the final position I used a 3 ton hydraulic jack and various size pieces of 12"x 12" x 2" and 4" thick concrete and pressure treated 3/4" plywood to level it at about a foot of clearance between the rails and the ground.

/ Moving shipping containers #28  
If you buy a container and don't already have a farm jack,aka handi-lift and man killer :unsure: ,buy one to have on hand when container need's to be leveled.

/ Moving shipping containers #29  
A friend of mine sells Shipping Containers, and another friend delivers the 20 footers on his 22 ft tilt deck truck

The 40 footers are brought in on different specialized trailers, and in our area those are delivered by a Towing company. More costly to deliver.

In either case, if the truck has suitable access to the landing site, then they can deliver and drop off within feet or inches of desired location, assuming that the driver is capable, and the truck won't get stuck in wet / soft ground.

I'm still planning to get a 40' container, and next year an additional 20' container