mowers

/ mowers #21  
Gravely Pro-Turn 600 w/Kawasaki EFI motor. You will love it!!!!!
I guess if they need an $18,000 mower. I have an older Gravely 260. It's a commercial 60" mower. I would recommend a Gravely as well. If the OP doesn't think they need a $10K mower, Gravely makes some really well built consumer models with the welded decks in the $5,000 to $6,000 range.

/ mowers #22  
I mow rough fields with the ATV. Great suspension!
IMG20240423111934~3.jpg
IMG20240408195124~2.jpg

/ mowers #23  
I guess if they need an $18,000 mower. I have an older Gravely 260. It's a commercial 60" mower. I would recommend a Gravely as well. If the OP doesn't think they need a $10K mower, Gravely makes some really well built consumer models with the welded decks in the $5,000 to $6,000 range.
I guessed too. Not enough information provided. Maybe they are cutting professionally??? They did not specify, just asked for zero0-turn recommendations. Maybe OP will give a budget????

/ mowers #24  
The Zero turn does beat you up in fields! mvoght

yes indeed. i mow around 4 acres same as yours around ponds, etc. the feral hogs have made a disaster in wet areas of turf, makes for a rough ride. fortunately i can handle it. were i on the market again, would go w/Ferris w/front suspension. strange why other manufacturers have not done the same, regards
My property is mostly pasture turned into lawn and it is rough. I had a rigid frame Ferris 1000Z I bought new (2004 I think) which is still working great. My neighbor bought it from me 2-3 years ago and loves it.
The only reason I sold it was that the ride was terrible and I have issues with my spine. I tried using a BX size tractor w/a MM mower, too rough. I settled on a new Ferris ISX 2200 60 inch. With its full suspension it does an excellent job of smoothing the ride. You won't get the jarring sensation that comes with a non suspension.
I tried but was disappointed with the 52 inch model and discovered that the larger tires on the 60 were a further improvement.

I'm an extreme case. Any real bouncing around kills my back.
BTW the reason most mowers don't have a suspension is that Ferris (Briggs and Stratton) holds the patent.

This is the 52 I traded for the 60 inch. It was an excellent machine.
100_2012.JPG

Last edited:
   / mowers #25  
My property is mostly pasture turned into lawn and it is rough. I had a rigid frame Ferris 1000Z I bought new (2004 I think) which is still working great. My neighbor bought it from me 2-3 years ago and loves it.
The only reason I sold it was that the ride was terrible and I have issues with my spine. I tried using a BX size tractor w/a MM mower, too rough. I settled on a new Ferris ISX 2200 60 inch. With its full suspension it does an excellent job of smoothing the ride. You won't get the jarring sensation that comes with a non suspension.
I tried but was disappointed with the 52 inch model and discovered that the larger tires on the 60 were a further improvement.

I'm an extreme case. Any real bouncing around kills my back.
BTW the reason most mowers don't have a suspension is that Ferris (Briggs and Stratton) holds the patent.

This is the 52 I traded for the 60 inch. It was an excellent machine.
View attachment 871532
I love mine, just like you I have a bad back, several plates of metal and wood screws (that is what they look like) hold me together. I also have a nero stimulator under the skin to "shock" my nerves to confuse them and make it stop hurting.

When I bought mine I was the one doing the mowing, I did it on an old Ford 8n with a 5' finish mower. I could stand up on it if need be and use my knees as shocks, some areas I could sit down through.

My "yard" really a field sounds like yours, so darn bumpy, clump grass and mole vole and groundhogs have just made a mess of the place. I can take care of the ground hogs, but I never see the other small critters.

I went with this one:
1716378367347.png

Damn expensive but what a time saver and wow does it ever smooth out the bumps. The biggest "mistake" I made is letting the wife try it. She was really afraid of the zero turn at first, she usually did around the house on a regular garden tractor while I did the field. Now I can't pry her off this thing, she actually gets mad when I do mow, she wants to do it.

Now I do around the house, and she does the big part on this monster. I have a small simplicity zero turn with suspension (it is just a re branded Ferris) that I use around the house 42", so it can go in all the tight places this big boy can't really go. We also have a "woods" section that needs done and the big one would never fit between the trees.

Saved my back (when I get to use it) and cut HOURS off the time it takes to mow the entire place.

/ mowers #26  
didn't realize Ferris had ft & rear suspension. fortunately my mower has very large rear tires that greatly smoothes out the ride. many zeros, esp the box store type have smaller tires, therefore a rougher ride. many don't realize this when selecting a machine.

/ mowers #27  
I love mine, just like you I have a bad back, several plates of metal and wood screws (that is what they look like) hold me together. I also have a nero stimulator under the skin to "shock" my nerves to confuse them and make it stop hurting.

When I bought mine I was the one doing the mowing, I did it on an old Ford 8n with a 5' finish mower. I could stand up on it if need be and use my knees as shocks, some areas I could sit down through.

My "yard" really a field sounds like yours, so darn bumpy, clump grass and mole vole and groundhogs have just made a mess of the place. I can take care of the ground hogs, but I never see the other small critters.

I went with this one:
View attachment 871540

Damn expensive but what a time saver and wow does it ever smooth out the bumps. The biggest "mistake" I made is letting the wife try it. She was really afraid of the zero turn at first, she usually did around the house on a regular garden tractor while I did the field. Now I can't pry her off this thing, she actually gets mad when I do mow, she wants to do it.

Now I do around the house, and she does the big part on this monster. I have a small simplicity zero turn with suspension (it is just a re branded Ferris) that I use around the house 42", so it can go in all the tight places this big boy can't really go. We also have a "woods" section that needs done and the big one would never fit between the trees.

Saved my back (when I get to use it) and cut HOURS off the time it takes to mow the entire place.
I tested one just like that with a 60 in deck.
I really liked it. 30 HP would work good in the pasture:)
The cost was just beyond my means.
The even larger tires/wheels and the wider track lessens side to side rocking.
Great machine IMO(y)

/ mowers #28  
what did they quote you for the Ferris 60" (assume commercial model)?

/ mowers #29  
Mechanically, just about all the commercial grade mowers are pretty similar.

Mower manufactures dont make engines, they dont make pumps, and they dont make wheel motors. They are off the shelf parts from companies like parker, eaton, or hydro gear. And it dont matter if its a scag, toro, exmark, deere, hustler, etc etc etc....they usually have the same engine options. Briggs, Kaw, or Kohler.

So if you are looking for a commercial grade mower....it pretty much boils down to ergonomics and what paint color you want.

/ mowers #30  
plus accessibility to either the dealership or quality small engine mechanic