Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #21  
While safety features can help with safety they're no substitute for teaching/communicating, thinking, and personal responsibility.
Exactly. People will tend to rely on safety features, and when they fail, they get hurt.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #22  
So this is begging the questions: at what point/size does this not become a required feature? Is it only sub-compacts? only those models frequently sold/marketed with a mid-mount mower? ...and is it only tied to having an implement/load on a mid-PTO? (would seem to become a real nuisance when using a 3pt snowblower)

Just curiosity on my part
I don't think it has to do with size of tractor, the JD you mention is about the same hp/size as mine and some the tractors owned by others that say they don't have this feature.

I've actually been trying to find something because I was curious and I came up with this Safety Standards for Riding Mowers and Small Tractors

I think it has to do with brands and who's more likely to be sued, or more maybe who has been sued because someone backed over someone's foot or worse with the mower running.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #23  
To clarify, with mine I just have to press the pto button when I start to back up, I don’t have to hold it down. You do have to do it every time you start to backup though.

Its probably been over 30 years ago a guy I knew through work backed over his son mowing and he lost most or all of his foot. It’s been years since I saw his kid, he is probably over 30 now but he was doing well. I think he had just chased his son inside right before it happened to but the kid snuck back out, I never heard the entire story. Would a safety button have prevented it? I don’t see how but maybe.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #24  
To clarify, with mine I just have to press the pto button when I start to back up, I don’t have to hold it down. You do have to do it every time you start to backup though.

Its probably been over 30 years ago a guy I knew through work backed over his son mowing and he lost most or all of his foot. It’s been years since I saw his kid, he is probably over 30 now but he was doing well. I think he had just chased his son inside right before it happened to but the kid snuck back out, I never heard the entire story. Would a safety button have prevented it? I don’t see how but maybe.

Honestly, mowing can be pretty dangerous for both the operator and anyone else around the machine while operating. I remember reading a story of a woman that was struck in the neck with an object (stone/stick) while her husband was mowing. She almost lost her life. I always make sure everyone is indoors while I'm mowing, not just to have someone clear of the machine but, to also be clear of any flying debris.

Mike

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM
I took a look at a Nh work master 25s today, no button to push for pto in reverse. I called kubota dealer to ask about the bx in case it was on new models. No button on bx either. It has thrown me for a loop as I had all but decided to purchase the JD 1025r. I may be overthinking it but this has me questioning which tractor I want to purchase. I appreciate all the input !

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #26  
It’s pretty easy to bypass, on another forum I have seen how to do it. When the rear pto is selected you don’t have to hold the button down to back up. You wire it so it thinks the rear pto is going instead of the mid pto. Get the tractor you want, I wouldn’t let something like this be a deal breaker.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #27  
Honestly, mowing can be pretty dangerous for both the operator and anyone else around the machine while operating. I remember reading a story of a woman that was struck in the neck with an object (stone/stick) while her husband was mowing. She almost lost her life. I always make sure everyone is indoors while I'm mowing, not just to have someone clear of the machine but, to also be clear of any flying debris.

Mike

This gets into some of the reasons I enjoy mowing with a 3pt finish-mower on my L3560; while I don't entirely count on the rear-discharge deflector throwing everything down - or it fully dissipating the energy when an object hits the ground (it doesn't) the downward trajectory seems to reduce the flight time and distance compared to the side discharge decks I've used on smaller mowers.

Having the mower further away from my ears helps reduce the volume of noise I need to protect against, and the distance & height difference seems to also help keep more dust out of my lungs when mowing leaves, or in dusty conditions (especially when mowing backwards). Not sure how it is in other areas, but when it's been dry here enough fine dust can be kicked up from mowing that it about looks like the dust clouds that may develop when doing fieldwork .....and the finer dust it can have quite the hang time. If/when it's that bad, I've gotten to the point where I'll generally either wear a respirator or wait to mow until the conditions have improved a bit (e.g. even having dew on the grass can make the difference)

It’s pretty easy to bypass, on another forum I have seen how to do it. When the rear pto is selected you don’t have to hold the button down to back up. You wire it so it thinks the rear pto is going instead of the mid pto. Get the tractor you want, I wouldn’t let something like this be a deal breaker.
Interesting that it's tied to the mid-PTO only - though it makes sense if the machine is being sold with a mid-mount mower.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #28  

Mike

Yes!

A few years ago I was driving down a two lane rural road. There was a county mower on the other side mowing the grass. As I drove by I hear a loud “bang”.

When I got to my house I saw a penny size dent in my door. The mower shot something (likely a rock) into my door. I can’t imagine how much damage that would have done to a human body.

Be careful all.

MoKelly

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #29  
On my x744 garden tractor, the reverse implement option (RIO) button pad gets pulled up as you start to back up otherwise the deck stops. I don't have kids but have small dogs so I do have to watch what is behind me. That is why I disabled the RIO. If I am fumbling around and reaching down to pull the RIO, I'm not turned and looking behind me. Now we love it for mowing the yard.

/ Mowing in reverse with SCUT and MMM #30  
Just like all the other controls on my tractor, when I had this pita feature, I never needed to look at it to use it. I am a firm believer in being aware of my surroundings and looking in the direction that I'm traveling. I would like to have mirrors so I can see behind me when moving forward, but I cant find anywhere to mount them.