Mowing issues solved

/ Mowing issues solved #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I hadba 5 ft brush hog on my mf 1531. It was both a joke and headache. There just was not enough power and enough tractor in heavy stuff. Fed up and frustrated i got a brush hog for the allis. The allis just plays with it. Brome grass, slew grass, johnson grass and little spouts of trees the allis plugs along like it is doing nothing. My fuel consumption is about the same as the mf. The reason is simple. The mf was really struggling to handle a five ft while the allis just plays with a 7 ft. The only thing is you got to be careful around the pond. If you drop the allis in the drink it probably take one of the neighbors big john deere front wheel assist tractors to get it out. I just love a tractor with raw power, and the fact that your not even close to powering it out.

/ Mowing issues solved #2  
I would hope the Allis had more power.
74 PTO HP vs 24.5

/ Mowing issues solved #3  
24.5 PTO HP wouldn't run a 5' bush hog? My LS pulled one just fine at ~19 PTO HP and HST. Cut some real nasty stuff with it too. Couldn't go any faster than low range but ground was too uneven to go any faster on small machine like that anyway. Thru real thick stuff like waist high and bigger honeysuckle with saplings mixed in, was creeping, but regular field grass up to waist high was easy.

7' cutter is probably real nice though! Bet that cuts a lot of passes off.

/ Mowing issues solved
The mf just pulled and no power. Salesman promised the world out of this little tractor. It shelled pto while brush hogging with 5 ft brush hog. With the allis, just put it in 4th gear and the way you go. If it gets heavy like slew grass, just you the torque converter to slip it in 3rd on the fly. Just a whole lot better mowing experience.

/ Mowing issues solved #5  
Looks like you solved your problem with the sledgehammer approach. I'd look for a 12-ft batwing mower that would be more of a challenge for the 185.

Good luck