Mowing Mowing Just the Edges of a Field

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I’ve noticed some fields in my area where the land owner just mows the edges of the field. Looks like the owner made 2-3 passes around the perimeter of the field and the left the rest of the field fallow. Anyone know why this is done? Is it to maintain wildlife habitat? I assume the baby deer and other critters prefer the tall grass in the middle for cover. Anyone have any insight on this?

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #2  
probably just to keep the encroaching woodland, etc growth down. & yes, i find while deer/wildlife choose the tall growth for cover, they prefer to dine on the tender newly mowed area as it grows. i cut the outside perimeter on my leased hay fields to rid it of any fallen debris etc from adjacent woodland for the convenience of hay harvest

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #3  
He might have planted it in trees. Or native grasses.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #4  
I mow just around the parameter on a pasture we don't use for these three reasons: I can drive around the field in my truck or UTV without concern the exhaust may catch the grass on fire; the pasture grass provides good ground cover for wildlife and looks nice; saves on time, wear & tear and fuel.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #5  
I mow just around the parameter on a pasture we don't use for these three reasons: I can drive around the field in my truck or UTV without concern the exhaust may catch the grass on fire; the pasture grass provides good ground cover for wildlife and looks nice; saves on time, wear & tear and fuel.

+ 1. I drier country farmers and ranchers often make a couple of rounds with a dic so that when some a**hole throws a lit cigarette out of their car, and sets the road shoulders on fire, it won't spread to their grasslands and crops.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #6  
Also keeps the fenceline clear and you can get to your fences if you have to.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #7  
My neighbor does this. I'm just guessing he does it so the guy that bales hay in the pasture has a smaller chance of getting into the fence. I never thought to ask him about it.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field
Thanks folks, I think I’ll try it out this growing season. We have about five acres of pasture that’s currently not being used, so might as well let the critters have some cover, plus I like the look of a little wildness. I do want to keep it neat around the fence line though.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #9  
+ 1. I drier country farmers and ranchers often make a couple of rounds with a dic so that when some a**hole throws a lit cigarette out of their car, and sets the road shoulders on fire, it won't spread to their grasslands and crops.

This is another one of those things that "gets my goat"! Especially in a drought. And it's typically someone who's driving a piece of crap car.

People, put your cigarettes OUT! Please.

I was guessing that many down here in Texas do that to be able to maintenance their fences, and help maybe keep a small grass fire from becoming a huge fire. Usually the latter uses a disc or road grader to scrap the combustibles away.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #10  
I致e noticed some fields in my area where the land owner just mows the edges of the field. Looks like the owner made 2-3 passes around the perimeter of the field and the left the rest of the field fallow. Anyone know why this is done? Is it to maintain wildlife habitat? I assume the baby deer and other critters prefer the tall grass in the middle for cover. Anyone have any insight on this?

Makes sense to me. Sorta sends the message: "I've mowed it around the edges to make it neat on the outside, but I prefer to keep it high and only mow every year or two or am not mowing because I want trees".

The people that mowed my neighbor's fields 2 over used to mow my right side neighbor's and mine at the same time. I got to them and told them I did not want it mowed. That was around 17 years ago. I had some nice trees in there.

Then Wednesday a week ago, that tropical storm sent remnants up our way (Virginia) and did way more damage than the almost direct hit by Isabel in 2003. All my 17 year old trees are either uprooted (ones near the edge) or bowed over. There's debris all over the place. We've had to do a lot of cutting just to be able to keep our trails down there. Still too wet to run the bush hog over the new trail spots. Where the old trail was is covered in new mud (topsoil in future). Thinking about getting a bunch of grass seed to seed. Might check into renting one of those PTO spreaders.

My tractor crossing is a mess. It was a drive-over with 6 PVC pipes underneath. Worked great since 2004. Just had to shovel out upstream every once in a while. Thinking now of putting down maybe 6x6 posts sunk deeply, two on each side of the little stream, to tie the bridge to and then make it out of 2x12s. Might be able to do 2x8s or even 2x6s if I double up on them. Really only need to handle weight of my neighbor's 4052 JD if he needs to come rescue me sometime. Mine is only maybe 2,000 #. His is probably about double that, but not like a dump truck that would need 2 of the 2x12s put together.

Ralph