Mowing Steep Hills

/ Mowing Steep Hills #51  
I almost forgot. BCS tillers have a sickle mower attachment you can put on their machines. They also sell metal spiked wheels as an accessory. I've seen one of these in action before on a steep hill and was very impressed

/ Mowing Steep Hills #52  
This video discusses the issue and suggests steering wheel zero turn mowers. Worth the time to watch.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #53  
Maybe Its been already said, but if its that hard, I'd use an alternate ground treatment (gravel, mulch, pavement?) or wildflowers, let it grow wild, etc. Having a running riding mower on my chest with me under it on a hillside wasn't fun and not worth repeating.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #54  
I need a new mower.

Long story, but now I have to mow more often and more areas. And the grass is on some pretty steep hills. I cannot simply go up and down them, as there is a fence at the bottom and my house at the top. I have to side-hill most of it. A push mower is simply out of the question, as it will take me days to mow this much with my bad knees. I need a riding mower.

I currently have a troy-built little 30 something inch, mower. One where you pretty much sit on the engine and there is no weight over the steer tires. Its in good shape but simply does not work on these hills. Center of gravity is way too high, cannot turn at the top of the hills, and that's if it can climb up the hill! It's got the power, but not the traction. It was given to me.

I need something that can side hill a steep hill, have the traction to climb the hills, and wide enough to not take all day.

What type should I be looking at? Zero Turn? More of the conventional? Which brand do you recommend?
i have a commercial zero turn and mow sideways on a side hill of a bridge. hurts to walk up it my tractor didn't want it had to back up it with it scary.... depends on equipment and driver.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #55  
A female pygmy goat won't smell. Another option in your budget is one of those robot mowers.

I have a barn full of bargain deals that I can't find parts for. I also have a BCS mower like some one talked about earlier. Your bad knees can scratch that off of your list.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #56  
Not a fan of steep hills
Ever consider a robotic mower?

/ Mowing Steep Hills #58  
I need a new mower.

Long story, but now I have to mow more often and more areas. And the grass is on some pretty steep hills. I cannot simply go up and down them, as there is a fence at the bottom and my house at the top. I have to side-hill most of it. A push mower is simply out of the question, as it will take me days to mow this much with my bad knees. I need a riding mower.

I currently have a troy-built little 30 something inch, mower. One where you pretty much sit on the engine and there is no weight over the steer tires. Its in good shape but simply does not work on these hills. Center of gravity is way too high, cannot turn at the top of the hills, and that's if it can climb up the hill! It's got the power, but not the traction. It was given to me.

I need something that can side hill a steep hill, have the traction to climb the hills, and wide enough to not take all day.

What type should I be looking at? Zero Turn? More of the conventional? Which brand do you recommend?
A friend has one called a Dixie Chopper 4x4 zero turn. When you want to turn a small set of wheels pops down and picks up the front tires to make the zero turn work. And he has some good step hills

/ Mowing Steep Hills #59  
Years ago the dealer sold one something like this https://www.harperturfequipment.com/slope-mowers/atm72/ it at that time was called Mow Cycle as I remember the price was high but it a neat machine.
As a youngster dad had bought an early JD 110. Turned the wheels wide and sitting on the up hill fender wasn't any thing I was afraid to mow, but don't think I would do that anymore too slow to react. Now I would have to put duals on to feel safe.
I was surprised to find some of the riding mowers recommended when I searched for "hillside mowers".

/ Mowing Steep Hills #60  
Huge fan of my Cub Cadet 760S for all my side hills.

Leaps and bounds better than previous traditional zero turn.