Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.
So to get your capabilities the OP needs to look at a $50K investment.
I might be able to swing $15G.

I pulled the engine out of my first car with a friend, a chain, and a couple 2x4s (I have a picture somewhere). . .

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #42  
According to my Kubota dealer he said contractors are replacing their backhoes with a Skidsteer and a minix
For contractors these two machines make a lot of sense since the mini-ex can do a lot of digging quickly and the two machines can often be hauled on the same trailer or on alone on smaller trailers pulled by 250s or maybe 350s versus large trucks. They are very powerful, compact machines that when used in the right applications cannot be beat in their quickness and ability to get the job done.

Personally I would not have a skid steer because whenever it turns it is tearing things up. In a contractors world this is not a problem because they are usually in a compelte tear-up, but as a homeowner it is a mess. I had a guy that baled hay and picked up his bales with a skid steer. After a couple of years of piled up sod where he turned very sharp I changed to a different guy who uses an FEL. The other issue is tipping forward - there have been a lot of deaths on a skidsteer from people trying to lift just a little to much and once it gets up high it tips forward - sometimes it waits until you start to dump ad the load in the bucket shifts a little forward, i.e. inadequate warning. I much prefer my Versatile 150 in that it is a better loader, can move much faster, and does not tear things up. For instance, this fall I moved 80 ton of rock across my lawn to put around my my lake edge with my 150 and you would never know it by the look of the lawn. Now I did it at a dry time of year for minimal damage but when you have a ton of rock on your bucket you need decent size tires to not leave tracks and when turning skid-steer or tracked skid steer does a lot of tearing. My son, who works construction helped me with this project and uses a skid steer daily, never even thought about the difference until I pointed it out after we were done and he said no way could we have done it as fast or as nicely with a skidsteer.

Eddie laid out the mini-ex negatives very well which are similar very good at what they do well but limited in versatility. And yes I would love to have one which is why I rent one sometimes when I have the right job - they are fun to play with.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #43  
An older full size backhoe absolutely wins the less money spent comparison. And for a homeowner that’s likely a good option. But when the comparison shifts to getting work done with less emphasis on cost the the mini and CTL win by a significant margin.
Absolutely!!! I want an excavator. But I can't justify one monetarily. 👍

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #44  
I might be able to swing $15G.

I pulled the engine out of my first car with a friend, a chain, and a couple 2x4s (I have a picture somewhere). . .
$15K will buy you a decent TLB. Or a well used mini.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #45  
He didn’t specify what size but my KX-040 is still well within the mini category.
Yup I have a 3.5 ton, would love bigger but couldn't haul it.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #46  
I think the biggest I would need to move is 30” dia by 14’ length
My 3.5 ton will lift 24" X 12 foot (red oak) full height and half reach over the blade. 30 X 14 I might be able to get off the ground and on a low trailer. Probably cut those in half:)

Best,

ed

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #47  
Absolutely!!! I want an excavator. But I can't justify one monetarily. 👍
You can do a lot of work with a backhoe, I have one for the skid, it has more raw power than the x. I haven't hooked it us since I had the x. The x is just so much faster and more comfortable. I wouldn't mind a dedicated backhoe, but, you can't mow with the damn thing, so you still have to have a tractor. Everything is toooooo expensive now, maybe with time on the OP's there will be a deal when he is ready. I looked for mine for over a year..........

Best,

ed

My 3.5 ton will lift 24" X 12 foot (red oak) full height and half reach over the blade. 30 X 14 I might be able to get off the ground and on a low trailer. Probably cut those in half:)

Best,

ed
I only Have a couple trees that big, and I would have to slab off the sides with an Alaskan Mill to get it on my LX55. Bit their is nothing wrong with ambition, amirite? 🤣

You can do a lot of work with a backhoe, I have one for the skid, it has more raw power than the x. I haven't hooked it us since I had the x. The x is just so much faster and more comfortable. I wouldn't mind a dedicated backhoe, but, you can't mow with the damn thing, so you still have to have a tractor. Everything is toooooo expensive now, maybe with time on the OP's there will be a deal when he is ready. I looked for mine for over a year..........

Best,

ed
I have a 5’ brush hog for my tractor - that is close enough to mowing for my purposes!

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #50  
Last edited: