MT225S cold start question

/ MT225S cold start question
It was in the mid-20s here today. Turning the key to the ‘on’ position puts the cold start (GP) light on for about 1 second. Turning the key to the left and got the same result — on about 1 sec

I’m probably just mistakenly expecting the GP light to be on continuously when turning the key to the left. But why would this feature be present if it doesnt continuously heat the GP?

thanks to all for your responses. I’ll have a heated garage next year so just planning on how to best get thru this winter.

/ MT225S cold start question #12  
It was in the mid-20s here today. Turning the key to the ‘on’ position puts the cold start (GP) light on for about 1 second. Turning the key to the left and got the same result — on about 1 sec.

Sounds like you have an issue with the timer relay circuit. As stated above your tractor has a glow plug relay/timer circuit and it should stay on for about ten seconds regardless of the temperature. If you are under warranty let the dealership replace the parts.

Thanks for your reply

It's 25 degrees here, this morning. Went out and wanted better describe what occurs with my tractor

When I turn the key to the on position, the dash goes thru it's self-test (warning lights come on, fuel/temp gauges cycle, parking brake alarm cycles, GP light comes on for a second or so) which takes about 5 seconds or so to complete. I did not start the tractor

I went back an hour or so later. Turned the key to the left (cold start). Exactly the same thing as above. Same panel self-test. The GP light comes on for a second or so, then goes out.

My question: should the GP light remain illuminated when turning key to the cold start position? ie does this key position 'override' the computer to allow a longer preheat period?

Apologies for beating this to death

And yes, tractor is under warranty. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. No prior tractor experience (other than garden tractor/mower) and zero diesel experience

/ MT225S cold start question #14  
Thanks for your reply

It's 25 degrees here, this morning. Went out and wanted better describe what occurs with my tractor

When I turn the key to the on position, the dash goes thru it's self-test (warning lights come on, fuel/temp gauges cycle, parking brake alarm cycles, GP light comes on for a second or so) which takes about 5 seconds or so to complete. I did not start the tractor

I went back an hour or so later. Turned the key to the left (cold start). Exactly the same thing as above. Same panel self-test. The GP light comes on for a second or so, then goes out.

My question: should the GP light remain illuminated when turning key to the cold start position? ie does this key position 'override' the computer to allow a longer preheat period?

And yes, tractor is under warranty. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. No prior tractor experience (other than garden tractor/mower) and zero diesel experience
I have MT225S since June 2020 - 230 hours later the glow plug light turn on for 5 seconds then if it’s cold outside the glow plug light will light as tractor is cranking. I do agree the tractor produces lot dark exhaust as it’s firing up. This diminishes 10 seconds after unit is running. Regarding you northern hemisphere owners make sure you are using at least 10-30 diesel oil CJ rated. Do not us 15-w40 in the colder zones of the world. The tractor even with trickle charger sucks many amps to get crankshaft spinning. Thicker oil is only tasking the starter harder with thick stiff oil. The MT225S is hearty tractor, robust and tough. No disappointments on my end. Wish I had one prior to 2020.

From my local dealer re: my coil/GP question

Hi Chris, you should see a coil light in the bottom right when you turn the key on, it should stay on for 15 to 30 seconds. If it just flashes on and turns off, they are not cycling properly, you can cycle the key on and off a few time to get enough heat to the plugs for an easier start. There's a known issue that was discovered last week where the ECM is not cycling the plug long enough. Unfortunately there's no manual override on the 225s. LS and Yanmar are working on a fix and I am working with our service rep for a temporary work around. I will keep you updated.

/ MT225S cold start question #16  
Thanks for your reply

My MT225S does the EXACT same thing....Absolutely gutless on cold starts. Does not matter what the key position is in. GP light is on for a second...thats it.

/ MT225S cold start question #17  
I feel your pain. I have a mt225e. My glow plugs do cycle, I have checked with a test light. My tractor is a bear to start sub 32 degrees. I fought it all last winter and this year added a lower radiator hose heater. It pops right off if I plug it in for an hour before hand. But still, when it’s 28 degrees out I shouldn’t have to plan my tractor starts an hour early.
I am still under warranty so off to the dealer it went. They were sure it was going to be a weak battery (which I tested before taking it in) or a bad starter. It’s been there 10 days, the battery was fine but the starter was drawing too many amps so they ordered a new one. It warmed up here to around 60 degrees and they put the starter in but wanted to wait until it was cold to test it.
I didn’t have immediate needs for the tractor so I said sure keep it and test it. Now, a storm came through and blew down some trees and it has turned cold, so I called this morning to see how the tractor did and they said well, it’s not quite ready we need to check some more it started but was hard to start.
I would rather they figure it out now then send me a hard starting tractor home.
I will keep you posted what I find out.
Yjmoose

/ MT225S cold start question #18  
I feel your pain. I have a mt225e. My glow plugs do cycle, I have checked with a test light. My tractor is a bear to start sub 32 degrees. I fought it all last winter and this year added a lower radiator hose heater. It pops right off if I plug it in for an hour before hand. But still, when it’s 28 degrees out I shouldn’t have to plan my tractor starts an hour early.
I am still under warranty so off to the dealer it went. They were sure it was going to be a weak battery (which I tested before taking it in) or a bad starter. It’s been there 10 days, the battery was fine but the starter was drawing too many amps so they ordered a new one. It warmed up here to around 60 degrees and they put the starter in but wanted to wait until it was cold to test it.
I didn’t have immediate needs for the tractor so I said sure keep it and test it. Now, a storm came through and blew down some trees and it has turned cold, so I called this morning to see how the tractor did and they said well, it’s not quite ready we need to check some more it started but was hard to start.
I would rather they figure it out now then send me a hard starting tractor home.
I will keep you posted what I find out.
Yjmoose
So this morning it was 9 or 11 degrees...depends on whose phone ur looking at....I have been cycling the glow plugs by turning the key to the Left 3 times....then to the Right, waiting for the GP light to go off each time....and she fires right up. So for the 225S drivers out there....try that and see if it makes a difference.

/ MT225S cold start question #19  
Update from my dealer is that they can’t find the problem. When it’s cold it doesn’t want to start. He has had it three weeks, they are working with a regional rep now.
He told me today that my tractor was hard to start this morning, the XG sitting next to it with the same exact engine started right up. Got our first snow here, but the 4wheeler should handle it.

yjmoose.

/ MT225S cold start question #20  
Another update from me. I picked my tractor up today. That’s right, been at the dealer since mid December, it’s Feb 10th today.
It still starts the same. No improvement.
below 32 degrees and it better be plugged in. They replaced the battery, the battery cables, checked all the glow plugs and related relays and timers, the starter, and even replaced a governor that LS thought might be the problem.
still won’t start unless plugged in below 32 degrees, so I guess in the end that is my answer.
Wish I had better news.
At least my Barn where it’s parked has electricity.
Yjmoose.