Mud rain

/ Mud rain #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
Last night my wife read me the local weather forecast for today. It read: high winds, lots of rain and dust. We laughed, wondering how can you have lots of rain and dust at the same time?
Today I stopped at a store noticed some very weird looking dark brown clouds. I went into the store for quite a few minutes and came back out and got in my car and noticed all the windows had a slimy coating and I couldn't even see out. I turned on the wipers and could see that the wipers were actually swiping mud! As I drove home the mud rain started again from some more dark brown clouds.
I have never seen anything quite like that! The land upwind from us is desert. The winds must of blew up dust and the rain clouds came along and picked it up. Must have been one heck of a dust storm!

/ Mud rain #2  
Mud Rain, brings back memories of riding with an uncle when I was a teenager. Spent half the time pushing his pickup out of every mud hole he just had to see if he could get through.

/ Mud rain #3  
Yep.... mud rain.... We have had it here in the SW at least once a year. Makes a mess for sure!

/ Mud rain #4  
You sound like a newcomer to eastern WA. Wait for some of the good spring winds. We're getting a taste of that at the moment.

/ Mud rain #5  
interesting phenomena … i know the dust from the Sahara desert cross the Atlantic and make its way to amazone helping it to fertilize it, that’s the reason the amazone is so fertile despite having a poor soil …

I know why but I always found this is a contradicting statement, because this phenomenal makes the soil rich but the amazone soil is poor in nutriment…

That’s because once they cut the forest for agriculture purposes there is nothing to retain the water who as the nutriments so they have hard time grow crops on it …

/ Mud rain #6  
Cougsfan is about fifty miles south of me. Glad all the crap dropped out before it got here. Yesterday morning - 0.35" of rain. In the afternoon I "troweled" the muddy section in my driveway.

Now if I can manage to stay off for a couple days - it will dry and harden like concrete.

I've seen the gray - gray/brown clouds Cougsfan speaks of. By the time they get up here all the heavy stuff has dropped out.

/ Mud rain #7  
A bit off subject, but my wife, raised in East Texas, tells the story of the time she was on the school bus, and it rained small frogs. It sounds like a BS story, but apparently it is a real phenomenon that has happened other places.

/ Mud rain #8  
I've seen pinkish snow in Minnesota from the dust coming out of the Dakotas.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Mud rain #9  
A bit off subject, but my wife, raised in East Texas, tells the story of the time she was on the school bus, and it rained small frogs. It sounds like a BS story, but apparently it is a real phenomenon that has happened other places.

It Sound very biblical as a story but I guess its true I easily found 3 article about the phenomenon and they explain it as well its tornados or weather pattern lifting them in the air and dropping them miles away..

/ Mud rain #10  
"Geologic cycle" moves dust, water, air, insects, and apparently animals all around the planet.......