MX Seat

/ MX Seat #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
I found a seat suspension adjustment not shown in the operator manual. It is a T handle accessible from the rear of the seat. Mine was set so high that it was basically a solid seat. Had to break it loose from the paint to adjust it. While adjusting it and flipping the seat up and down I couldn't help but notice how useless the little springs were under the seat. You can compress them with one hand pressing in the seat. So I went to McMaster and ordered a couple of compression springs to try for my old back when mowing across the gopher hole patch.
Compression Spring, 2.5" Long, 1" Od, 0.76" Id
9657K32

I ground a washer down to fit in the spring. 1st picture
2nd picture new spring on the left
The last picture shows new springs installed and the seat suspension adjustment

Attachments

• IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2789.1.jpg
    IMG_2789.1.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 158
   / MX Seat #2  
In my experience (of many years btw), It's been apparent to me that Kubota treats the operators seat as the least designed part of their tractors and something I change out. I despise vinyl covered seats from the get go and replace them with Cordura covered seats instead and / or textured cloth seats in the case of my cab tractors. Cordura has the desireable property of being able to get wet without becoming degraded on an open station tractor.

/ MX Seat
Good to know - I may just go that route if a few minor changes do not net some satisfaction. Next change swivel base.

/ MX Seat #4  
IMG_1871.JPG

Vinyl seat was starting to crack. Durafit seat cover fit like a glove and made a good improvement over vinyl for under $40.

Like your spring upgrade. Seat needs improvement. Yesterday spent hours rotary cutter trimming trails in woods, around ponds and creek. Lot of operator acrobatic action on rough terrain. Another round of Aleve please for back pain.

/ MX Seat
So I had some success and some failure with my ideas on the seat.
Success with the new suspension upgrade.
Failure with the swivel upgrade. I really wanted this to work. An I finally got it mocked up, took to the seat, and what do you know -
My right knee jam up against the draft control. The cab is too narrow. The rear controls too close to the seat to allow for the seat to swivel. I'll just have to live with what I got here.
The suspension mod was a success. As I said I had a fancy suspension unit I took off a Tractor Supply seat mounted on another tractor last year. I cut, bent, and drilled 3 brackets to mount it and then cut and welded the Kubota seat hinge onto it and I'm in business again. With much better suspension and about 1 inch higher which works well for my 6ft frame. Just need to finish up with seat belt bracket attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 95
  • seat bracket.jpg
    seat bracket.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2824.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2818.JPG
    IMG_2818.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 99
   / MX Seat
It's been awhile - the new seat suspension and height increase have been a welcome change. Today I finished up the modification by installing the seatbelt. I had just ordered some wheel spacers (a 2x3 set up from Bro-tec) to increase stability and reduce the rollover risk... then I thought well **** > I better put the seatbelt back on too.

Attachments

• IMG_3014.JPG
    IMG_3014.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 66
   / MX Seat #7  
It's been awhile - the new seat suspension and height increase have been a welcome change. Today I finished up the modification by installing the seatbelt. I had just ordered some wheel spacers (a 2x3 set up from Bro-tec) to increase stability and reduce the rollover risk... then I thought well **** > I better put the seatbelt back on too.

Nice!! Would you please be so kind and also provide us with some pics of the wheel spacers? Would like to see how the look and your impressions on how they feel regarding stability.

/ MX Seat
Nice!! Would you please be so kind and also provide us with some pics of the wheel spacers? Would like to see how the look and your impressions on how they feel regarding stability.
Yes I will do that here > Wheel spacers
I am also looking for some wheel weights ... Hopefully find some used. New prices and shipping is just silly high.
I came from a much bigger (heavier) tractor, I would like to get this machine to feel more planted.