MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start...

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #1  

Redbug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
One of my friends' MX4700, (has HST), would not start, and we could not get it to roll in neutral with the clutch pedal pushed in. What needs to be done to enable a tractor to roll with the engine off to get it on a trailer to be repaired? Is there a valve that needs to be opened to get it into a movable mode?

I have an L3830HST and that gets me to wondering if my tractor quits out in the woods.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #2  
Don't you have a Neutral position on the Range lever? If yes, just put it to Neutral. If not, there is usually a spot in between gears, hard to find without having a detent but still possible.

Or check the manual for the right procedure. But I do understand that sometimes is not possible to check the manual.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #3  
One of my friends' MX4700, (has HST), would not start, and we could not get it to roll in neutral with the clutch pedal pushed in. What needs to be done to enable a tractor to roll with the engine off to get it on a trailer to be repaired? Is there a valve that needs to be opened to get it into a movable mode?

I have an L3830HST and that gets me to wondering if my tractor quits out in the woods.

Should have rolled easily in Neutral. The range selector is just an old 3 speed crashbox transmission and it is AFTER the hydraulic motor that is driven by the hydrostat pump. So if the tractor won't roll, there is something wrong with the manual transmission or the final drives gearing or you never got it into nuetral.

To prove your own rig will roll in neutral stop on a grade. shut down the engine, put your foot on the brake pedal/s and put the "range selector" in neutral. Take foot off of brake pedal and your tractor will roll down hill and pick up speed. Make sure you don't get going too fast, or you will lose control of it. Just prove to yourself it will move.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #4  
Maybe rock a little while someone tries to pop it into neutral with clutch depressed.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start...
Thanks Guys! That tells me there is something else wrong with the tractor as well. Or else we did not find the sweet spot in the detent. I will try my tractor on the hill on my property since it is something I haven't ever done.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #6  
Sometimes the MX's are a little off on the range selector. I know mine it not exact. Place it in a gear (L/M/H) then make sure it is IN the gear before doing anything. I didn't have it fully seated before and had it pop out. On a big hill that is exciting!!!
Good luck

Sometimes the MX's are a little off on the range selector. I know mine it not exact. Place it in a gear (L/M/H) then make sure it is IN the gear before doing anything. I didn't have it fully seated before and had it pop out. On a big hill that is exciting!!!
Good luck

We wiggled around the gear selector but it must have been off a little bit then. I think you may be right.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #8  
I hope it is something easy for you all. Also if you have a starting issue ALWAYS check the HST pedal safety switch under the floor board. IF it is not centering or dirt gets in it. just right it won't let the tractor start. Sometime moving the HST pedal all around will get it to free up and start. May have nothing to do with your issue but just a thought.

/ MX4700 HST...how to tow if the engine won't start... #9  
Thanks Guys! That tells me there is something else wrong with the tractor as well. Or else we did not find the sweet spot in the detent. I will try my tractor on the hill on my property since it is something I haven't ever done.

Yes, you will find out that it will roll downhill quick and fast if the grade is steep. This happens when people attempt to change ranges while going up a grade. Better make sure your foot is on the brakes before attempting to shift ranges, because if it doesn't go into a gear, you will roll backward pretty fast. Best to decide what range is going to be needed to climb the hill before it gets too steep.

Yes...We did not check the pedal safety switch under the floor board. Another worm in the pile.