My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #281  
Last edited:
   / My Brothers Estate #282  
When determining the price of a gun for sale...

Cheap way - go to gunbroker, see what the average opening bid of the gun is. Average out the prices vs age and condition vs what you have, and determine a sell price set on how fast you want to sell it. If the average price you find is $1500 on what you have, you need to include shipping, FFL and gunbroker fee.

Sometimes you can find some real deals on gunbroker with someone wanting to unload something, and sometimes the prices aren't that great vs something new you could buy anywhere.

Because my FIL's gun was a unique older lever action rifle where prices vary greatly depending on the condition, I took it to a gun shop who specializes in valuing guns. See below for written appraisal

View attachment 768990

At the end of the day, something is only worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it.
I think you could spend the rest of your life checking on something condition and what that product might be worth today.. If it was like 6 guns its doable but dozens..... Seems like your time is worth something.

/ My Brothers Estate #283  
I think you could spend the rest of your life checking on something condition and what that product might be worth today.. If it was like 6 guns its doable but dozens..... Seems like your time is worth something.
Honestly, from my own experience, it becomes a side hobby where you don't lose money or perhaps you can make a little money :ROFLMAO:

Some guys trade and sell auto and tractor parts, no different than guns.

I've got more guns than I know what to do with. The unwritten rule with my wife now is when one comes in, one goes out (you can only keep so many safes in the house before your wife knows whats up).

The key with anything is don't buy nor sell when you HAVE to. Buy when you have to, you may pay to much due to a rushed decision. Sell when you have to because you need the money bad, you sell at a lower price for a quick sale where as if you would have waited a little longer, may have gotten a lot more.

Note to young married guys looking at a good gun safe. Always get a safe at least 2 times bigger than you think you need. Sell the larger gun safe to to your wife on protecting home valuables other than guns as a good family investment. Sooner or later, the guns will overrun the family valuables in the first safe, and just shrug to your wife that you don't know where the guns are coming from taking up more space, but perhaps it might be a good idea for another safe to store more home valuables because the first safe is running out of room for whatever reason. Repeat as needed.

Last edited:
   / My Brothers Estate #286  
I think Eddie wll be working many, many hours to get rid of items in this estate. I'd guess he's not looking to start up any new hobby at this time. :unsure:

/ My Brothers Estate #287  
Statute of Limitations is a beautiful thing. :) I was very surprised when, the Lawyer, told me that I should FOREVER keep certain home and business liability insurance documents. This took time for me to get my head around. As some of the policies had not been renewed for many decades. I thought all these documents were now meaningless. Turns out that they were not meaningless. If someone filed a claim against the estate, because of something discovered that can be established to have occurred when the policy was active, the lawyer said he could still get the policy to pay out, if the company was still around, or even it had been bought up. And that that lasts forever. I'm no longer on the deeds to anything related to that estate, yet one brother still is, and I am in the Chain of Title of several, long ago, sold properties. So there is a box, filed away, of nothing but old insurance policies.

/ My Brothers Estate #288  
I would suggest to Eddie that he has enough on his plate without messing around with the firearms he doesn't want. Find a gun dealer or three, get your best offer, collect a check and be done with it. When selling on Gunbroker or any other site you still will need to pay fees to sell each gun unless you are a licensed, insured dealer.

/ My Brothers Estate #289  
Gun Broker is the real deal. Locally, we have online auction houses that sell firearms. They always seem to get fair market value. Even single shot and bolt action shotguns fetch a decent price. I'm guessing it's someone purchasing a "gun of their youth" or a barn gun.

I'm in agreement on a locksmith for the gun safe.
I've been burned on Gunbroker the last two times I bought there... the items were nowhere near in the condition described. (My fault for bidding on As-is.) Then last fall I was shopping for a Contender... at the time TCwas in limbo so I was unable to find new prices. There were two on Gunbroker for around $600 plus fees and shipping so when I found one locally for $600 I bought it. He must have gotten his price from the same place because this spring I had it appraised and I got burned again... it's worth about 1/2 that.

/ My Brothers Estate #290  
Eddie, about the gun safe. Have a real locksmith that knows safes open it. I know of one that could not be opened by the owners, and their younger dependents. Could not be precise enough with the tumbler dial. A locksmith was able to call the manufacturer, tell them the info needed about that safe and they told him where to drill a hole and hit something. He was then able to open the safe and replace the lock with a new digital lock system. Much better than a grinder. An intact safe could be worth as much as a gun or two. Jon