My Container Barn

/ My Container Barn #21  
Another idea would be to put a dehumidifier in the container.

/ My Container Barn
Moisture hasn't been an issue, and I never thought about it. I was going to cut in a large vent in the back wall to circulate some air. In summer, it gets very, VERY hot inside. I'm told the roof over will help lower the inside temps. a few degrees. I'll keep an eye on mildew.

/ My Container Barn #23  
One of the farmers in the area nas a similar container barn but used a couple of old box cars. Nice high opening. Large about of space inside plus all the side storage in the box itself.

/ My Container Barn #24  
With Fractal's mention of the smaller sizes, I'm thinking a storm cellar. Dug into the ground, maybe even partially...

Has anyone done this?

/ My Container Barn #25  
I'm told containers make dandy lumber kilns with a little fangling, a heat source, and a dehumidification unit. I hope to try this out one day.

/ My Container Barn #26  
My parents have several of these things. Mom never throws anything away. When she fills one up she then goes and buys another one. My brother calls them her shanty town. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are well made and reasonably priced. She has also bought old delivery truck boxes, with large overhead type doors on the rear. In a way I like these better because they are wider and not so long. The things I don’t like about the cargo containers is they are very hot inside during the summer and if you don’t plan your storage carefully stuff in the back of this long narrow box can be a nightmare to get out.

I do like your idea of incorporating a couple of these into a barn. Looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ My Container Barn #27  
I recently visited some old friends who moved to a smaller place and he had bought an 18 wheeler type trailer box for $1500 for a shop building; 8' wide and I think 53' long and I don't know why the trucking company got rid of it; looked to be in great shape, no leaks, etc. Sure looked like a good deal to me.

/ My Container Barn #28  
I'll have to show Eddie's pictures to a bud who's wanting to do something similar on thirty acres in norte tejas.

I've used semi trailers for storage before on jobs. The biggest glitch for me was that you could only effectively use about sixty or so percent of available space if you needed access to everything.

A man with some surplus doors w/frames, plasma, and a welder could remedy that real quick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've often thought a container with multiple doors on one side would make a kitty purr for darn near ever.

/ My Container Barn #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With Fractal's mention of the smaller sizes, I'm thinking a storm cellar. Dug into the ground, maybe even partially...

Has anyone done this? )</font>

Hi...

Can use steel culvert pipe... available at least to 12 feet in diameter... these are made to be buried & hold up...

corrugated_steel.jpg

I've seen living spaces created in 'em (on the Web)...
...can bury the whole pipe... partially... or leave 1 or both ends open...

A flat floor can be framed into 'em... or just level with fill/stone...

What do ya' think ?

Dave...

/ My Container Barn
It' been raining allot and I've only been able to get in a couple days work.

The siding is all up now and I'm starting to prep for painting.

Attachments

• 376761-Barn, Back with siding up, Feb 04.jpg
    376761-Barn, Back with siding up, Feb 04.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4,839