My Container Barn

/ My Container Barn
The only real ugly spot was lining up the roof line along the top of the containers. They are a long way from being flat. I placed a straight edge across the span and built up supports the length of the containers to hold up the roof and act as purlins. I figure with enough liquid nails and the weight of the roof, it wouldn't go anywhere.

Attachments

• 381085-Barn, Build-up on top of container, Feb 04.jpg
    381085-Barn, Build-up on top of container, Feb 04.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,071
   / My Container Barn
The panels go on really quick with nice results. I only put in about half the screws I need to get as much done before the weather changed. This section is a 1/12 pitch 11 feet, 9 inches wide by 41 feet long.

A buddy with years of experience helped me installing the roof panels. A good tip is to clamp two 100 foot tapes to the beginning panels and measure each one you install to keep them lined up.

I was really amazed how the panels want to work apart. An eighth on an inch isn't much, but over a distance it really adds up.

Both roof lines lined up purfect using this technique with no fudging needed at the end.

Attachments

• 381087-Barn, Flat section on, Feb 04.jpg
    381087-Barn, Flat section on, Feb 04.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,992
   / My Container Barn
Half the roof is on and the weather is changing quickly! That's me on top after I put in the last of the screws for the day.

I really hate heights, but with the first panel in, I was able to funtion without too much trouble. I wore my sneakers, which allowed me to walk up and down the panels easily.

The pitch on the high side is 6/12 and just about the maximum for walking up and down. Length of these panels are 13'6" for a 41' run.

Attachments

• 381090-Barn, Half the roof is on, Feb 04.jpg
    381090-Barn, Half the roof is on, Feb 04.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,787
   / My Container Barn
This is another view of my post hole digger that I hung from the rafters. I doubled up a pair of 2x6's with half inch plywood glued in between.

Now it's under a roof and should stay nice a dry.

Attachments

• 381093-Barn, inside with roof on and post hole digger, Feb 04.jpg
    381093-Barn, inside with roof on and post hole digger, Feb 04.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,226
   / My Container Barn
Between the rain, I managed to get the other side of the roof on.

My free help didn't show up, so I did this side by myself. It took a full day and about three hours yesterday.

The toughest part was climbing up and down the ladders getting the panels. A real suprise came when I tried to climb up the steep part after getting some panels pre-positioned. My shoes had dirt on them and my traction was non-existant. One step up and a quick slide down! No injuries, just surprised how quickly my footing was lost.

Attachments

• 383762-Barn, roof on left side, Feb 04.jpg
    383762-Barn, roof on left side, Feb 04.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,284
   / My Container Barn
This is a view of the skylights from the inside.

The gap in the middle is where the roof vent is going to go. I'll need a hand with it due to its weight.

Attachments

• 383763-Barn, inside view of skylights, Feb 04.jpg
    383763-Barn, inside view of skylights, Feb 04.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,508
   / My Container Barn
The roof vent is in the crate in front.

This side faces North and doesn't have any skylights.

I still need to install the metal trim and finish painting the wood trim.

I'm pricing doors and will order a roll up door this week. Prices are all over the place.

Main door size is 12 feet wide and 10 feet tall after a concrete floor is poured. I'll build up the base rock to eliminate the gap under the door in the mean time.

Attachments

• 383768-Barn, front angle with roof, Feb 04.jpg
    383768-Barn, front angle with roof, Feb 04.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,375
   / My Container Barn #48  
Eddie,

I don't understand why you need a roof vent... With the size of the gap between panels on each side of the roof you can cover it with "ridge-row" and have plenty of ventilation. The ridge I've used was ordered from the metal vendor in 10' lengths and I think 12" on each side of the V. It would certainly be easier to install, and probably a lot cheaper.

/ My Container Barn
You're right about the ridge vent. I was thinking the vent would be better for long term and allow me the option of closing and opening it if I ever wanted to. It might just be a waste of $200. One day I'd like to have a concrete floor, insulation and heating for working on projects when the weather is real bad. I figured I could close this vent and keep it warm inside.