My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,691  
Waiting for the drywall finishers to get done is annoying. ... I am not sure what I will do this weekend. I might put together my snow wedge (chimney cricket) and install that and then go process some firewood. I am not a patient man.
In our house build, the drywall crew swooped in right on time and got the whole house hung by sometime on day 3. Wahoo, right? Then one of the guys started taping and mudding... and the rest of the crew promptly disappeared. It took him 2 full weeks to finish the house, and there was seemingly no one else on their crew they could rustle up to come help him get it done. I made some enemies in that final week by calling and harassing everyone I could in a vain attempt to speed things up. We had the painters lined up and had to push them back by a full week, so everyone hated me.

Minor blip on the memory radar now, and the drywall still looks great here in year 7. Very few screw head pops (they didn't use any nails).

Go make a huge pile of firewood, you'll need it this winter.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,692  
We started talking ,last night, about what to do this weekend. There is plenty to get done so we will pick a couple tasks and work on those. Every thing we do puts us closer. I need tonlook into a tile saw. Wondering if I should rent that. I have one of the really cheap ones that is about 14 inches square. I used it to cut bricks about 10 years ago when I made a pizza oven. Painfully slow and finicky.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,694  
Sure looks amazing with the drywall up.
It will take awhile to tape and finish though.

Been a year since my wife and I visited. Tomorrow we are taking the train ride from Staunton to Charlottesville and back, so will be very close.

#3,695  
Sure looks amazing with the drywall up.
It will take awhile to tape and finish though.

Been a year since my wife and I visited. Tomorrow we are taking the train ride from Staunton to Charlottesville and back, so will be very close.

I have not been on a train in the US in 30 years, except for subway lines around New York, and the “L” in Chi-raq. Is it nice?
Oh, wait. As I write this, I remember that I have taken the. Train into DC from the mass parking areas in NOVA to see a ball game and go to museums, and I took the train into Baltimore once for a football game.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,696  
I have a nice MK tile saw that I like. DeWalt makes one that a lot of pros use, but there is so much plastic on it that I went with MK instead.

I've been on jobs where a big tile crew was there, and they all use 4 1/2 inch grinders to cut the tile. I've tried this and I don't like it as much as my big 10 inch wet saw, but they get the same results and it's a lot faster.

Most important part of a tile saw is the blade. Mine cost about $150

What are you going to be tiling? if it's of any size at all, you'll need wedges. The bigger the tile, the harder it is to keep all of the edges of the tile flat with each other. Wedges make this possible. I use the Raimondi system Raimondi Tile Leveling System Wedges - Contractors Direct

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,697  
Geez, if you only had the dumpster there one week sooner.... wouldn't have had to pick that whole pile up, lol.

I picked up the garbage pile outside my house build around a dozen times (no dumpster, ever). Worst part of helping with my own build. I would occasionally sort the materials out for recycling and salvage and then a grunt worker on the team would toss it all back together. 🤬

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,698  
I wonder how many modern pioneers there are left in America.

First time I seen your thread & hoping the best for you.
Been off TBN for a while, I'm recovering from surgery, so I'm bored stiff.

I got a lot of satisfaction out of building our place. I can relate.

I lot of people just don't have it in them.

I could never picture doing this again, now at 68 years old.
My advice if you are dreaming about someday doing something like this. Don't dream, Plan and execute, because time is running out.

#3,699  
I wonder how many modern pioneers there are left in America.

First time I seen your thread & hoping the best for you.
Been off TBN for a while, I'm recovering from surgery, so I'm bored stiff.

I got a lot of satisfaction out of building our place. I can relate.

I lot of people just don't have it in them.

I could never picture doing this again, now at 68 years old.
My advice if you are dreaming about someday doing something like this. Don't dream, Plan and execute, because time is running out.

Didn’t P.T.Barnum say “There’s a pioneer born every minute”?

#3,700  
I have a nice MK tile saw that I like. DeWalt makes one that a lot of pros use, but there is so much plastic on it that I went with MK instead.

I've been on jobs where a big tile crew was there, and they all use 4 1/2 inch grinders to cut the tile. I've tried this and I don't like it as much as my big 10 inch wet saw, but they get the same results and it's a lot faster.

Most important part of a tile saw is the blade. Mine cost about $150

What are you going to be tiling? if it's of any size at all, you'll need wedges. The bigger the tile, the harder it is to keep all of the edges of the tile flat with each other. Wedges make this possible. I use the Raimondi system Raimondi Tile Leveling System Wedges - Contractors Direct

Thanks for the tip on the wedges. I am doing your favorite. Subway. 3 different areas and 3 different colors. First, to get us in the house is the guest bathroom. Shower area is 95 square feet. After we move in there will be backsplash in that bathroom in same color. The. The Master bathroom which will be similar square footAge and a backsplash in the kitchen and behind stove

I think an MK would be overkill. I am planning to do these three tile jobs and then hoping never to have to tile anything again. I will definately upgrade the blade but not as high as yours.