My LPGS

/ My LPGS #11  
Your question is best answered in my opinion by explaining that while you can drive a 100 screws with a drill/driver, once you have used an impact driver, you will never do it again!

That's perfect Coy :laughing::thumbsup:
Can I use that one?

Think of a land plane as a long "box" blade. It's the length of the skids "footprint" that add's the magic, it basically cut's a material reservoir at each blade and deposits them where the long skids tell them to as it travels over your road. The long skid will basically average out the grade below it. Think road grader and it's looong wheel base with the blade hanging in the middle, the longer the wheel base the less reaction the cutting edge will have to road irregularities. A rear *blade or box blade are basically reacting to the tiny sliver of ground that it's riding on and usually any operator input is too much, too late.
You can crown a road with one in a similar manner as a box blade by altering the 3pt hitch arms or an adjustable skid shoe.
*a rear blade on an angle will have a decent "averaging" effect but none at "straight" or perpendicular to the travel.

/ My LPGS #12  
Five years ago I bought a brand new Land Pride, land plane grading scraper( GS2584 ).

This year I tried a different approach. LPGS with all seven scarifiers DOWN. Set about 1 1/2" to 2" below the two following blades.

Oosik how did you walk by those (up) scarifiers for 5 years without just a tiny bit of curiosity?:drink:

/ My LPGS
I have scarifiers on the LPGS & Bush Hog ROBB. I just thought they were for EXTREME cases. Come to find out - a whole lot of my cases must be extreme.

Example - my driveway has just enough silt, sand & volcanic ash, on top, to harden up and become concrete in the summer.

The Rhino rear blade is heavy enough - 1010# - to penetrate the driveway in the summer but is a real ***** trying to level/smooth things. The LPGS with scarifiers down will do a great job. The rear blade is my snow clearer and maintains the driveway ditches.

I have to be careful though. I have just enough small potholes in the driveway such that nobody wants to go fast. It's a mile long and straight as an arrow.

Convert the driveway back to "pool table" smooth and it becomes a drag track for some who visit. I have no trouble going 15 to 20 down the driveway. Some found it a challenge and said they could get up to 50 or 60. It was like a dust storm in the Sahara.

/ My LPGS #14  
In the middle of summer the scarifiers will have a hard time digging in depending on your gravel. Right now is the ideal time. The top inch or so is dry and packed but once you get below that it's still wet around here. In a month it'll be like cement. I've added weight to my LP to help but often I just use the backhoe to loosen everything up.

/ My LPGS #15  
:thumbsup:
I've never seen them on a blade. I'd like to have one like yours, just a little wider for angle width.
Hey I saw your pond again on the sunset thread. I remember you told me how deep it was, but forget the depth other than the water went all the way to the bottom and that was a very deep. Remind me for curiosity's sake.

/ My LPGS #17  
Your question is best answered in my opinion by explaining that while you can drive a 100 screws with a drill/driver, once you have used an impact driver, you will never do it again!
Different implements are designed for different types of work! Can you make another implement perform the task? Sure. But not as well!
Yes I can after lots and lots of effort cut out ruts with my straight blade, but not near as fast or as good as with my box blade with cutting scarifiers. However while I cut a crown on a driveway with my box blade, I again can use my straight blade tilted and angled and do it quicker
I have as of yet not acquired a land plane for my compact so I will refrain from commenting on its use. I have watched some videos, and think I would like to try one for routine maintenance of the driveway, but as yet no such process.

Drill vs impact statement, I'll simply say ' I agree.' Especially if you're using Milwaukee's 12 fuel one.

However, to say that using a straight blade & a box blade to create a crown is easier and faster vs a land plane...I'll have to disagree. (Assuming I read what you wrote correctly and that's what you meant.)

I've had zero issues creating a crown on my drive, or creating 'half a crown' around the pole barn for drainage. Granted it could be my land plane weighs around 800# with the scarifiers in it and has 1.5" of tilt adjustment in the LPGS shoes. Add in the 6" or so I can adjust the 3 point tilt on the Kioti.

My box blade does a great job at moving materials from point a to point b. And for back filling trenches (septic finger runs & water/electrical trenches from house to barn.) But the LPGS did a remarkable job at actually leveling everything out with regards to smoothness.

As for your driveway maintenance comment, the LPGS is great at that. Can literally just drop it and drag. Couple passes down each side and all the potholes are gone, low spots are filled in. Does a great job on the gravel road I live on as well. Let's me fix it before the county comes out and turns it into a mudhole.

/ My LPGS #18  
I have lots of rain and lots of elevation so crown and slope are critical. All maintained beautifully with a land plane. Have heavy blade and box blade sitting idle.

While moving material is important and capable by several different pieces of equipment. The land plane does it a little different. It classifies the material, fines and aggregate better. This allows for better compaction. Better compaction is harder, wears better and last longer. While there is more science and engineering involved above my understanding, I can appreciate the results.

An analogy may be;
You dig for gold with shovel and mattock ( grader and box blades). You find gold in the pan or classifier (land plane).

Beware there are many different land plane designs. Results may vary.

/ My LPGS
Did it again. Answered your ? three days ago and forgot to click reply - rustyiron. The little lake is 80 feet deep - five acres of open water - five acres of cattails. Hey - it's been all sunshine and up to 58F today. Mayhaps - spring IS on its way.