My "new" 8n

/ My "new" 8n #21  
Re: My \"new\" 8n

Randy, the spark plug advice is very good. I recently had that problem on my Ferguson, which is similar to the 8N. I was losing power when working the engine hard. I checked everything I could think of, and finally called my farm mechanic. He was going to be at a neighbor's farm the next day, and he said he'd stop by. He had a big grin on his face when he came over, and said he just thought he'd have to check one thing. He immediately determined it was the plugs, and he had a set with him. He changed them, and everything was OK. The best thing was he just charged me for the plugs, since he was nearby, and he said he loves a quick fix. I gave him an extra $20 for his quick service.

Now I keep an extra set of plugs on hand! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My "new" 8n

<font color="red"> Your tractor looks in good shape! A friend of mine also had an 8N which smoked at first
a little marvel mistery oil in the gas took care of his problem. His tractor set for a while
and the rings probably were a little sticky. </font>

This one has set for atleast a year. Thats how long the dealer had it. I also have not changed the oil in it yet, so I have no idea whats in there. I plan to do that first,[well once I get it started, and puled out of the woods /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif] and then run it a bit. I bet it clears up.

/ My "new" 8n #23  

Paul, what is that lever that sticks out on the left side just ahead of the steering box pitman arm? Is that a Sherman Transmission? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ My "new" 8n

<font color="red">Paul, what is that lever that sticks out on the left side just ahead of the steering box pitman arm? </font>

Thats a Sherman combo trans. I am still trying to get a feel for that. It seems to go into low, and normal range, but not high. Not to concerned, dont see much need for a high range in my use. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW checked it out last night, something is wrong with the reserve part of the petcock. That will be on my list. Not a big thing, my land is not that big, if I run out of gas, I walk.

/ My "new" 8n #26  

Nice lookin' workhorse. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Just wonderin'.....
Is it still 6 volt or converted to 12 volt?

/ My "new" 8n

<font color="red"> Is it still 6 volt or converted to 12 volt? </font>

Still 6volt. As of now, she still starts great, and the battery is new, so it will stay that way for a wile.

/ My "new" 8n #28  

Paul, your 8N looks like a lot of fun. I don't think I'd bother with the loader, but I'd surely buy a rear scoop. Of course, you are are aware of all the loader issues, so you might be happy with it.

On your spark plugs: My Jubilee has always burned/leaked oil (1 qt in 4 hr work). In the beginning I had to change plugs very often because they would become fouled every couple of days. Someone suggested anti-foul adapters for the plugs. They look like the end of a spark plug, but have only a small hole in the end that screws into the cylinder. The other end is threaded and you screw the spark plug into them. After installing these adapters, I go easily 6 months without having to change the plugs. One time the engine started missing and when I removed the plug, the small hole in the plug was clogged with carbon. I just cleaned it out, put the plug back in, and continued working with no missing. If I have a smoking gasoline engine, I put these adapters on them. They really do work. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, my Jubilee has a fuel problem when the gas gets low, too. With the fuel tap and bowl on one side, I can be on a slope leaning away from the petcock and all the fuel runs to that side of the tank. I can tell you it is really frustrating to be a quarter-mile away from the house and have to walk back to get more fuel because I let the fuel get too low and the tractor stalled with over a gallon still in the tank, but on the wrong side of the tank. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lastly, I think I would leave the treaded tires on the front unless you are going to be doing a lot of plowing. Those tires are perfect for mowing and most other grooming chores while working on turf, gravel, or pavement. Only in loose dirt are the ag tires an advantage. ...just my two cents worth.

/ My "new" 8n

<font color="red"> Lastly, I think I would leave the treaded tires on the front unless you are going to be doing a lot of plowing. </font>

Ya, They will be staying on for a bit. I got enough other stuff to fix on it, that they will wait till they pop.

/ My "new" 8n #30  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Only in loose dirt are the ag tires an advantage )</font>

Only on a 4wd will agg tires on the front be of any benefit.. and ag tire on the front of a 2wd vehicle is still just an idler. In loose dirt, a rib style tire would help with turning.

Soundguy