My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks
I's fun following your posts Brandi. Quite skilled you are.
Cheers,
Mike
Oldballs,
Thanks. You will really like this then. Every since I bought the CAT, I wanted a grader blade for it like this........... Backhoe Bucket Grader Blade
But an 8 foot one. During May's rains, I got my 28 inch digging bucket in the barn and started mocking up a 3/8 inch thick wooden mockup. I figured this would be easiest to make and cut out for the teeth and sidecutters. Now, I really wanted to weld it, but had to take it all to my local welding shop where I barter 4x4 cribbing for welding services.
3-30-21 4x4 Cribbing.jpg
They use them to crib up outgoing welded loads. I needed them to cut the 8 foot by 3/8"x12 inch steel knotches for the bucket side cutters. He asked if I needed it welded up. I was so behind in lumber cutting, I said if Y'all have some slack time, okay. The next day I took the cutting edge to them to get the holes punched, instead of me talking all day to drill 8 holes by hand. They had it welded and ready to go the next day. All I need to make it work is welded a restraining chain to the blade.
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Pocket.jpg
CAT 28 Inch Digging Bucket.jpg
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade.jpg
CAT 8 Foot Grader Blade Knotch.jpg
CAT 28 Inch Digging Bucket Side Cutter.jpg
I need to get this finished so I can have it when I level the hill where I will build my sawmill shed. So one project runs into another project. The fun never ends.................until I cut 80 2x8s 16 foot long.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi

One dry afternoon in May, I was able to cut enough oak for a friend's trailer.
Red Oak Trailer Boards.jpg

I also cut a huge 7 foot long RED Oak into slabs.
7 Foot Long Huge RED Oak.jpg

Here are a few slabs.
Red Oak Table Slab.jpg
Red Oak Live Edge 12 Bar.jpg
Red Oak Live Edge Slabs.jpg
I sold two for $100 each. Life is good.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #413  
Lady, I wish that you lived near me, because I just recently cut down five white pine which were approx 80 feet tall with base of about 30 inches. Not knowing what to do with them, I just made rounds (to throw in a wash) and also stacked some of them to burn. There was a thread last week with a guy that had the same problem.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 70
   / My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #414  
While all the rain was coming down, I found this from Black Arms Tactical............View attachment 700864
It is a 12 gauge LEFT HANDED Pro Bullpup shotgun from Guns.com. Atlantic Firearms had 10 round magazines for it also. I bought 4 of them. It came with two 5 round mags and 3 different chokes. I really can't understand why a 18.5 inch barreled shotgun needs chokes. I will have to find out why when I got some "free" time. I haven't even heard it go "bang" yet.
I haven't figured out what the yellow thingie does. It doesn't help load shells, that I can see. Anyone know what it is? It is plastic. Maybe it helps in choke removal and insertion?

Also, I really wanted it in Distressed Green, instead of Distressed Red. But after a friend and inquired around, we found out a green one might be available in a year. Or not! Only other color available in Left Hand was Vietnam Tiger Stripe, which was a non started in colors. Oh yeah..............try firing it right handed...................I dare you!
hugs, Brandi

The yellow piece looks like a chamber flag.

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #415  
Brandi, good to hear from you and thanks for the photo updates. Been wondering about you. Glad your busy Retired = RE - Tired (tired all over again). That porch looks like work too. LOL.

You might be low on your lumber prices, from what I've been hearing. Red oak looks nice. Do you have a contact at any companies that fell problematic old trees?

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #416  
PS. If I ever come over that way, I'll be sure to call first, since you have that new shotgun. hee hee.

The yellow piece looks like a chamber flag.
What is a chamber flag? Just another indicator, besides an empty barrel, to verify the barrel is, indeed, empty?
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, good to hear from you and thanks for the photo updates. Been wondering about you. Glad your busy Retired = RE - Tired (tired all over again). That porch looks like work too. LOL.

You might be low on your lumber prices, from what I've been hearing. Red oak looks nice. Do you have a contact at any companies that fell problematic old trees?
Kyle,
Those pieces in the photos are $100-200. The ones outside with knots on the side are $200. I don't like keeping it around, as they are really in the way of hot selling framing lumber, and are a pain to move without hydraulics.

I have all the wood I need, for a one man band, from one land clearing company. If I need something specific, I just tell the excavator operator what I need. In exchange with the owner for the logs, I cut every now and then a huge pallet of 16 foot 2x6s for the excavator operator's future house. Works out well.
hugs, Brandi

Lady, I wish that you lived near me, because I just recently cut down five white pine which were approx 80 feet tall with base of about 30 inches. Not knowing what to do with them, I just made rounds (to throw in a wash) and also stacked some of them to burn. There was a thread last week with a guy that had the same problem.

Cheers,
Mike
Make 'em Eastern RED Cedar and I will come pick up a load or two!
hugs, Brandi

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #420  
What is a chamber flag? Just another indicator, besides an empty barrel, to verify the barrel is, indeed, empty?
hugs, Brandi

Yes, it takes the place of a cartridge in the chamber and lets you know the gun is in a safe condition.