My pole barn...a solo affair

/ My pole barn...a solo affair
mikim said:
My rule of thumb is ....under a roof = smooth ....outside = broom...go with smooth. And I really don't think you'd even need the 5" concrete if you were to put some rebar in it. Course I don't know which is cheaper -- I just like a lot of steel in my concrete. The more the better.
Mike,
Do you mean rebar or concrete reinforcing wire? I have always thought goes where supporting walls are, which are none in a pole barn.
hugs, Brandi

xlr82v2 said:
I'd definitely go with smooth... for exactly the reasons you mentioned. But, if you ever have horses walking on it, it may be a little slick for them...
Brian,
If I bring horses on to the concrete, they will be walking or standing on rubber mats.
hugs, Brandi

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #123  
rebar or concrete reinforcing wire?
Yes .... In my barn they put rebar every 12" (both directions and tied together) and cross beams every 10' with additional bar, so no wire was needed. If I had done it myself I would have put rebar every 24 or 36" then wire on top......But both are overkill. Rebar MUST be put in the beams around the outside ....and it's a REAL good idea to have beams running across every 10 - 15 feet or so with rebar in those as well ....then use your wire throughout. That would be the more normal way to do it, and would be plenty strong enough for what you'll be doing. Unless of course you have plans to buy and park a dozer in there. (in which case let me know cause I could stand to borrow one sometime);):D

Flatheadyoungin said:
Well, I think you just solved a problem for me. I've been trying to figure out how to build my next garage/barn with two lean tos and with some style.

That barn looks great!

Thanks for all of the pics, when I get home, I'll have to save them all!
Flatheadyoungin,
Thanks.:) Imitation is the highest form of flattery!:D I modeled my barn after the one in the photo.:cool: It is fancier, but has a shed on the far side. Look back through this thread and you will see a drawing of the roof trusses, which gives the barn the 1 foot high full length ridge vent.;)
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Red RCA Barn.jpg
    Red RCA Barn.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 317
mikim said:
rebar or concrete reinforcing wire?
Yes .... In my barn they put rebar every 12" (both directions and tied together) and cross beams every 10' with additional bar, so no wire was needed. If I had done it myself I would have put rebar every 24 or 36" then wire on top......But both are overkill. Rebar MUST be put in the beams around the outside ....and it's a REAL good idea to have beams running across every 10 - 15 feet or so with rebar in those as well ....then use your wire throughout. That would be the more normal way to do it, and would be plenty strong enough for what you'll be doing. Unless of course you have plans to buy and park a dozer in there. (in which case let me know cause I could stand to borrow one sometime);):D
Mike,
I will do some figures on all of this. I can space out buying rebar and installing it, instead of going with 5.5 inches of concrete. Just gotta figure out if it is worth the rebar and extra work to save 2 inches of concrete.:confused: I saw a D3 Cat in the Bryan edition of American classified last night.:cool: Sure is mighty tempting.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #126  
yeah -- I don't have any idea how much rebar is these days ... but the work isn't that bad with your loader and bh ... smooth / level the area, dig the perimeter beams, then dig the cross beams, then hire the rest out. If'n I wuz retired ....like in 20 months .... I'd do it all short of the pour & finish ...but it takes time I ain't got.

mikim said:
yeah -- I don't have any idea how much rebar is these days ... but the work isn't that bad with your loader and bh ... smooth / level the area, dig the perimeter beams, then dig the cross beams, then hire the rest out. If'n I wuz retired ....like in 20 months .... I'd do it all short of the pour & finish ...but it takes time I ain't got.
Mike,
Pole barn equals no perimeter beams. The poles have the wall perimeter supported. Unless I am missing something. Gotta run.
hugs, Brandi

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #128  
bindian said:
Mike, I saw a D3 Cat in the Bryan edition of American classified last night.:cool: Sure is mighty tempting.:rolleyes: hugs, Brandi

Hi Brandi... A D3 is a very capable dozer and I'm pleased with mine...

Danno1 said:

Brandi,

The perimeter beams are to strengthen the edge of the slab.

Danno1,
That is what Mikim explained to me today. I was thinking the door ways need beams, but didn't realize perimeter beams by the poles will keep the edges from cracking.
Thanks!
hugs, Brandi