My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone
I did place an adjustable stop on my gas pedal and I installed a rev limiter set to 5000. I don't think I need to limit the hp output. The track belts are just too stretchy when making turns.

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #592  
I did place an adjustable stop on my gas pedal and I installed a rev limiter set to 5000. I don't think I need to limit the hp output. The track belts are just too stretchy when making turns.
Ya, track belting is filled with cord and super strong plus idler tires have high number of belting.

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #593  
Couldn't you attach the cleats to roller chain, manure spreader chain or just plain chain to control the stretch?

Couldn't you attach the cleats to roller chain, manure spreader chain or just plain chain to control the stretch?
Hmmm. I'm not sure how you would attach the chain to the track bars and still have it serviceable. Also, I would think it would tend to collect grit more readily being so close to ground. Thanks for the comments.

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #595  
Is there anyway to make the belt tensioner sprung so when the belt stretches it take up the slack? Or maybe do the same with one of the center wheels always pushing up under spring tension?

Is there anyway to make the belt tensioner sprung so when the belt stretches it take up the slack? Or maybe do the same with one of the center wheels always pushing up under spring tension?
I think you are missing the issue here. The problem occurs in front of the front drive sprockets. When making a left turn, say, the left sprocket is held and the right driven one pulls on the track stretching the belts. This results in an excess of track being pushed in front of the sprocket creating a bulge in front above the ground. Does that make sense?

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #597  
It made sense the first time just thinking something with enough spring pressure may take the slack out but maybe not. I picture a v-belt with a sprung idler on the return side but obviously more to this. Something that stops the track from stretching in the first place like Airbiscuit mentions seems like it would work but hard to make happen. Maybe used snowmobile tracks would work better as they don't stretch much.

/ My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #598  
To see if I understand; the front sprocket is the drive?

If so, can you change so the rear sprocket drives? Then the tension and compression on tracks would be in a better place

Yes - the front sprocket is driven at this point. You can see the design in previous posts.
If so, can you change so the rear sprocket drives?
That is the purpose of adding chains and sprockets to drive the rear sprocket from the front axles.

Last edited:
   / My Senior design project - a "Swamp Thing" tracked vehicle clone #600  
Did you ever get the wheel situation resolved?
If not, have you considered laminated wheels like on the back of brush hogs?
Example but they are available in lots of sizes:

Last edited: