My Special Chainsaw Cart

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Hi guys,
I just finished a little project which I wanted to share with you guys.
It's a home made Chainsaw Cart made from all scrap materials except the tires some roller thrust bearings and some expanded metal I had to buy. I know I could've bought one for a little more than I got into this one (about $80 bucks), but what's the fun in that? Anyway, mine is special, to me at least.

The cart frame is made from the last batch of scrap angle iron which the implements for Loretta's tractor came in.
The wood body was from scrap I had lying around from the home build. The tie rod and removeable sides and tailgate are made from 1/2" iron pipe pieces I had rusting away. The front wheels ride on roller bearing thrust washers so it will steer easily even under load. I figure it has a 1,200lb gross capacity, if I need to haul some cut logs in it...or whatever. The cart has a handle and interchangeable trailer hitch.
Here are some photos...

I made the wood frame so it holds my 2 chainsaws and ALL of the stuff you need when cutting wood.
Like bar oil, 2cycle mix, extra gas and a mixing container, funnel, miscellaneous tools and files, extra chains, eye protection and chaps. I can throw the log dog in the back or make a rack for it.
Here are some photos of it loaded up ready to work.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #2  
very nice rob. now you need a cover for the top bin for a table to put your chainsaw on. maybe add a vice? :thumbsup: as always nice job.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart
Thanks radioman,
Great suggestion for a top to place the saws on ... I will do that for sure!

A few more details, since you're probably wondering why I have the handle point down?
It is interchangeable with a ball hitch mount. That way the pivoting main handle ends up level, depending whether it's being towed by the boxblade, ATV or truck.

There is even a spot to hold either the handle or hitch, whichever is not being used.

The handle was made from scratch and the ball hitch was modified.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart
The tailgate is pretty cool because I can roll my mower onto the wagon.
I had to TIG weld the expanded metal for the sides and tailgate because it has pretty small ends.

And as I mentioned before, I put roller bearing thrust washers under the front wheels for easy movement.
The tie rods are pipe I machined so it would move without too much slop.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #5  
I've gotta be honest, I see several problems with it. If you pick up the shipping cost, I'll give you my adress and beta test it for you for a couple of years and make my comments. If you don't hear back from me, that means I need to keep it longer. ;)

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #6  
Interesting what can be put together with some spare material. Looks great and obviously a lot of thought went into the design. Really appreciate the great pictures. :)
My only thought would be it pretty much needs to be on fairly level hard ground. 1200 pounds is a lot on the tires and would worry they will sink into soft ground. Could you put larger balloon type tires on it to make it easier to move in rough terrain?

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #7  
Nice..very nice,but sure hauling lot of work time. ;)

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #8  
Nice build Rob!

I have a off topic question. I have owned Still Saws in the past but am not impressed with then new ones. I see you have a Solo. I know its a small saw but how do you compare it to Still and Husqvarna? I really like both of them a little better of the Still Saws but am not totally against the Still at this point.

Chris

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #9  
Rob, as always, great craftsmanship. I need to build something simialar, but maybe with larger wheels and tires to travel along the atv trails at my place. Maybe a larger box too for wood. Nice job.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #10  
The Swiss Army Knife of Wagons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job Rob. I love it.

Did you make the mounts for the tires so that you could pick it up with your forks? I can't tell if the front space is big enough for forks, but it sure looks like a good way to pick it all up and carry it around those areas that you can't pull it.

Eddie