My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #91  
It’s best to get back to doing stuff as soon as safe.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day.
The last of the scabbing came off this morning, so now it's just a really ugly scar that probably won't ever fully vanish. Still some swelling and a lot of joint stiffness. Now that I'm reasonably sure I won't pull it open, I can go on to more aggressive flexing of the knuckle to get more range of motion. I can mostly close the hand, but not really make a fist. I have enough grip to hold a jar firmly, but not tightly if the lid is stuck. I can grip enough to use a manual can opener, but I would not be comfortable yet trying to use something like a chainsaw or post hole digger clamshell. I can flex the wrist full range, but don't have any strength as needed to support myself getting out of a chair for example.

Weird how the stiffness and weakness from the lack of motion due to the restriction of the cast/splint is almost taking longer to recover from than the wound itself.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #93  
Chicks Dig Scars. lol

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day.
Last few days, I've been able to use it enough to do a few small things. Yesterday I took advantage of the weather and did a little bit of hedge trimming using ling handled pruners.

Today, I got a bit bold and went back at the shed. Took on the task that bit me, using the new scaffolding and a few different methods of attack. Got done what I set out to do six weeks ago ... almost done I should say. Still a bit to do, but I didn't want to get too deep into it. Still felt the need to guard the left hand quite a bit. But I was able to hold nails and screws and climb a ladder that was tied off.

I still feel some tightness and twinges, but I'd say I'm 75-80% or so. Not sure I'll ever get to 100%, but hopefully 95% at least.

Just felt some relief to be able to do anything at all besides lay inside.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #95  
Kudos. Glad you are up and functioning.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #96  
It sure feels good to get something done after surgery. Today, I helped the neighbor split, haul and stack 3 cords of wood. I needed to see if I could do it and I'm sure you felt the same way.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #97  
Sounds like your coming along pretty good. Glad to hear it!

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #98  
I consider myself lucky. After 30+ years of farming, sill have all my digits and am pretty much intact.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #99  
I have noticed - very reluctantly - that as I get older (75 now) I am much more prone to fall, trip, make a misstep or whatever. So I have to remind myself to assess every situation before beginning and during a task to make sure I am doing things safely. And I still have close calls. And I am constantly reminded by the wife that "I am not a Spring chicken anymore." I guess Spring chickens don't have accidents.

/ My terrible, horrible, miserable, not so very good day. #100  
Glad to hear you are getting some range of motion back. It's been 2 months since your injury, so that's actually pretty good.
10 years ago I broke my wrist in a fall, telescoping the wrist joint about 10mm into my ulna. Since they would have to rebreak it to repair it i elected not to have surgery.

It took me 2 years before I was comfortable using a chainsaw.

You might look into getting one of those HF or TSC knock-down scaffolds. It's my go-to platform for most jobs i used to do on a ladder.