3-Point Hitch n00bie st00pid PTO questions...

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Guys,

I hate to ask, but is there a neutral on the PTO?

It seems shockingly dangerous to have my wife "bump" the pto with someone (me) trying to line up the gears on the attachment so it will slide on. :shocked: I will admit I was skeert...

Similarly, on the PHD, to change augers, I need to bump the PTO until the bolts and holes line up, and this must be done twice.

What am I missing? :confused2:
What went over my head (or I fell asleep) while reading my owners manual?

I'm not a dummy, but my tractor sure makes me feel like one pretty often...

Thanks in advance,
David

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #2  
Everyone I have used, the PTO will turn by hand if not engaged. I have never fooled with a Kioti, but I don't see why it would be any different. Having to bump it to line up don't sound too fun. I hope you did not make her mad that day.:laughing:

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #3  
IF you are talking about your kitoi, it "should" have an internal overrunning clutch, if it is not an independent PTO.

That means you should at least be able to turn it one direction.

Some of the older tractors with transmission driven ptos were not that way however. But with tractor in neutral, it should still turn.

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #4  
You should have a selector for the PTO, usually you can select mid, rear or both. Move the lever to the mid position not only prevent the PTO from turning on, but it also turns off the brake on the rear spline so you turn it by hand to help with final alignment.

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #5  
David , When I hook up to my pto , I turn the pto shaft on the equipment by hand to line up , does not always work . So I prefur to cut the tractor off and then turn the pto by hand . " grab the pto shafts at the end by the ends , not the plastic sheilds " Hope this helps , be safe . Steven

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #6  
It sounds like you are trying to hook something to the PTO or change augers on the PHD with the engine running. As mentioned above, mine has a neutral position where it does not run and you can turn it by hand, but I still would not hook something up to the PTO without shutting the engine off, with or without anyone in the seat. It seems like a small step to take to insure all of your body parts are going to be with you at the end of the day.

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions...
Now I am not sure I even tried to hand turn it...

I need more coffee...

What I am hearing is...

If it is independant (which I believe it is) and the HST is in neutral, PTO not engaged, I should be able toi hand turn it at least in one direction.

Right?

What about while the PHD is on,can I just turn the auger by hand under the same conditions?

My concern really boils down to I am typically by myself when on the tractor, and I need to find a way to do all this stuff when alone...

David

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions...
It sounds like you are trying to hook something to the PTO or change augers on the PHD with the engine running. As mentioned above, mine has a neutral position where it does not run and you can turn it by hand, but I still would not hook something up to the PTO without shutting the engine off, with or without anyone in the seat. It seems like a small step to take to insure all of your body parts are going to be with you at the end of the day.

That is exactly my fear/plan.

I want to keep all my various parts intact and working properly!

David

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #9  
What does the manual say?????:p

/ n00bie st00pid PTO questions... #10  
I have a 'nuetral' position on my pto. But as others have suggested, try turning the tractor off to hook up the pto.

Nothing beats a 'try', but a 'failure'.:thumbsup: