Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas
This is what I did, yes it egg shaped the hose a bit.
Looks simple enough. Does the end of the hose just terminate under the plate?

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #22  
yes about center with the inlet, I used a tapered ream to size the hole for the hose in the air box , tight enough I had to wiggle the hose all the way into place , after a good seal around the hose, If you over shoot the size use some RTV sealant around it .

yes about center with the inlet, I used a tapered ream to size the hole for the hose in the air box , tight enough I had to wiggle the hose all the way into place , after a good seal around the hose, If you over shoot the size use some RTV sealant around it .
Great. Thanks so much for your help.

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #24  
Great. Thanks so much for your help.

It was my pleasure to share with you, Glad to find someone that has a interest in this area, not much in print about it and what you find is not a step by step instruction . Even the manufacturer acts like it is a secret . I have been waiting on your progress report with your generator . I converted my Cub Lowboy over to propane this past week end with great success ,I had to reduce my vapor line to 1/8 inch ID hose to lean it out to find the sweet spot. I will have to take a few pictures .

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #25  
i converted two EU2000 inverter generators using the US Carb 'snorkel' kit to run on propane.. took longer to figure out where to mount the regulator than do the actual conversion..

Ran both generators for a total of 30 hrs a few months back without any issues.. Much better set up than trying to store 15 gallons of gas

brian
How many gallons of propane was used to run 30 hours? Generator running at 100% or....?

It was my pleasure to share with you, Glad to find someone that has a interest in this area, not much in print about it and what you find is not a step by step instruction . Even the manufacturer acts like it is a secret . I have been waiting on your progress report with your generator . I converted my Cub Lowboy over to propane this past week end with great success ,I had to reduce my vapor line to 1/8 inch ID hose to lean it out to find the sweet spot. I will have to take a few pictures .
I have procured all the parts and fittings. I tapped the air cleaner housing with a 3/8" barb and made a metal hood / extension to the carb throat to maximize the vacuum at the natural gas inlet. Next step is to mount the natural gas regulator to the generator frame and install the quick disconnect on the gas meter. I made my own adjusting valve by screwing a 5/8"-18 (fine) bolt into a 3/8 NPT T fitting. It should give me a wide range of adjustment. The photos are of the modified air cleaner housing.

Attachments

• IMG_6362.JPG
    IMG_6362.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_6363.JPG
    IMG_6363.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
   / Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #27  
How many gallons of propane was used to run 30 hours? Generator running at 100% or....?

Propane has fewer btu/power per gallon so “100%” is only 80ish% of gasoline.

I’d be interested in the consumption as well.

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #28  
Lots of interesting info here.

I can contribute a few additional items to consider..

Yes propane carbs will freeze as this is mainly due to 'venturi effect', (even carb equipped cars have that problem, early VW's beetles were very susceptible)
Under the hood you would notice some device to pre heat the incoming air.
VWs had a lever marked 'winter/summer'.
American cars simply had an all year round heater set up.

LOL, I drove an early VW that once slowly came to a near stall. I popped the hood and flipped the lever and was good to go once the ice melted.
Small aircraft also suffer from 'carb ice' so provisions are in place to handle that situation. In fact it is standard procedure to pull carb ice on final approach just in case you need to do a 'go around'.

The colder it gets with propane the lower the pressure will be so if operating in very cold temps you will find that come summer you still have 30% or so propane still available.

Big difference between natural gas and propane is the pressure of delivered gas.
To convert (forget exactly) systems it is as simple as drilling out the orifice to accommodate. (I suspect natural gas is the lower pressure hence enlarging the orifice would be is all it takes.)

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #29  

I was able to use 'eco' mode almost all the time after start up..

im guesstimating - first tank I changed before it ran out but it was pushing empty, the second tank based on weight only had about 20% remaining.. The second tank really seemed to go a lot faster than the first one though..

Here are my calcuations - full tank is 4.7 gal - but they are only filled to 80% capacity = 3.8 gallons available..

Consumption - ~3.5 gal in the first tank and probably ~3 gallons in the second tank = 6.5 total gallons best guess

So that makes it about 4.6 hrs per gallon..

it could have been that the second tank wasnt fully filled though.. - i have about 6 tanks i swap around and it should have been full.

brian

/ Natural gas conversion - where to feed the gas #30  
Most places that have the cage outside that you exchange bottles only fill them with 15 pounds of propane, the label they wrap them with admits it . That would make them 3.5 gallon in the 20 pound store bought tank. 1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder containing 20 pounds of propane should have 4.7 gallons or propane in it. The tank weighs 18 pounds empty making a total of 38 pounds . Because it does not go bad like gasoline you can not have to much on hand . You might check into 100 pound cylinder , it is usually filled by the gallon not by the pound at the propane depot and you exchange them as well.