Need a new chain saw 20" should do

/ Need a new chain saw 20" should do #32  
Slade said:
Would you guys go with a Stihl or is there something better now? TIA
id go with stihl all the way i have 3 saws right now a 180, 290,and a 390. i plan on getting a 441 magnum. the reason i say stihl is because this winter i thaught i lost my 180 but i found it in the snow bank 2 months after i lost it. i took it down celler and let it dry off. then i took it out side and it started after 2 pulls. that prooved then to me

/ Need a new chain saw 20" should do #33  
swines said:
Husky's run slightly higher RPM = higher chain speed = faster cutting....
Time = money.

Quality on both is equal. I've had a Husky since 1981 ... still works like new. Also have many Stihl products - both manufacturer's products work fine.

Would buy a saw by which company's local dealer is the best.

I've heard this story a million times as well as those that claim the Huskys are lighter. Take an MS660 that runs a max suggested 13,500rpm and compare it to a Husky of the same size and you will find the RPM of the Stihl is higher. The truth is that BOTH make max HP at 9,500RPM and that is where you will be getting the most work done. A saw needs fuel to make power and leaning it down so it screams when it isn't cutting will make it a pig when it's in the wood. Chain speed also comes from having enough power to run a bigger sprocket.

IF you are looking at PRO saws, I say pick what you like but for a consumer grade saw, Stihl is the only choice.

Ken

/ Need a new chain saw 20" should do #35  
I've used my little 16" craftsman (Poulan) for about 12 years now for occasional use. It has performed and held up admirably for a $130 saw new.....Not sure how good they are now......I now have a heavily wooded property and have been using the chainsaw more and more. I started wishing for a Stihl and looked at them a few times. Monday morning at 5:20 am I had 90-100 mph straight line winds take down several 100 foot + trees and devastate my heavily landscaped back yard. Its VERY disappointing!!! First thing I did was decide I had a good reason for the new saw, went to the local dealer as they were selling piles of saws that morning, and got myself a new MS-250 C-BE with an 18" bar. Easy start and quick tensioner on the chain. I love this saw and already have a couple hrs on it. The easy start is flat amazing! I've got months of cutting to do, so we will see how it performs and hold up. $389 for the saw, and another $30 for a spare chain and case, plus bar oil and premix oil and I was set.

My buddy bought a Farm Boss MS290 the same day...he is already regretting the additional weight of that unit and commented how easier it looked like my 250 handled after I cut for an hr straight last night.

I think I will put a 12" or 14" bar on that old Craftsman/Poulan and keep it around for pruning and trimming.

My goal is to replace all my yard tools with Stihl as needed.

By the way, my dad is still using his 30+ year old Homelite and it runs like a champ, looks like **** and sounds like a hot saw, but it still will work through a tree. We cut a lot of wood with that when I was a kid and its seen plenty of farm use action over the last 3 decades.

/ Need a new chain saw 20" should do #36  
I own a 028 Super Wood Boss with a 16" bar. I have had it for 18 years. Some years I used it more than others. Right now its in the shop. More carb problems I think. Anyway I had to get some work done and went out and bought a husky 455 Rancher or whatever its called. Nice saw but a bit heavy for my taste. I don't think it revs as high as my sthil does but cuts like a mofo. if it lasts as long as my Sthil I will be more than happy.

/ Need a new chain saw 20" should do #37  
Yeah, Stihl is so good I have to fix and repair them Daily, and We dont even sell them. The Accordian fuel lines crack on the saws, the control levers bind and break. The parts cost a fortune...

Ive got 3 of em, they look ogod sitting under my bench.

But the saws I USE are my ECHO CS-520, Tanaka ECS-415, and a MAC Timberbear.

The Echo always cranks on 1-2 pulls hot or cold, idles great, is perfectly balanced with a Oregon Pro-Lite 20" bar, and runs .325 Chisel and loves it. I service a ton of these for our customers, and there is never a complaint from an Echo owner.

We get alot of Stihl traded in on New Echo's...Most popular trade-ins are MS260, MS-280, MS-290, and MS-360.