Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #41  
I'm 58 years old and I'm in decent but not excellent physical condition. Average strength I would say.

I am not a chainsaw guy. In other words, I've been using decent consumer Stihl chainsaws all my life but I don't know anything about cc's, chain types, tuning, modding etc etc. Primary use has been yard and property cleanup as well as cutting firewood. I have the proper safety gear and a solid understanding of basic chainsaw safety.

But now I have ordered a saw mill. It should be here in a few weeks. It can handle up to 26" diameter trees.

My primary saw is a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar. I don't remember which one but it is about 3 years old, bought new and was the larger of the Farm Boss saws. In my mind I'm thinking 350 but it might be a 271. I don't even know if the Farm Boss came in a 350. Anyway, it is a decent saw. I suspect it is a consumer level saw with a "farm" designation for marketing.

This weekend I felled several pines that were around 12 inches in diameter. The Farm Boss was okay but not great. I also recently cut up a much larger oak blow down (probably 25ish diameter) and the Farm Boss struggled a lot.

So I am going to be felling larger trees than 12" pines in the near future. My son-in-law will be there most of the time (we'll own the saw mill together). He has a big tuned pro-level Stihl. He has a good bit of felling experience. But I feel like I need a bigger saw for myself. I'm thinking 25-28" bar.

I'm not really looking for brand recommendations.

What I need to know is what I can get for this job that is: 1) Reasonably light. (Again, I'm 58). 2) Appropriately powered for cutting down large but not huge trees. 3) Reasonably safe for my age and experience and 4) What type of chain for my age and experience from a safety vs efficiency standpoint.

Any basic advice much appreciated.

P.S.: Not too interested in modding or tuning a saw.
I formerly used a Stihl 391 and it was very heavy. My dealer told me that the best saw for my age (76) and use was a Stihl 261 C-M Pro saw. It is very light and very powerful. He said the guys on the French Broad Electric crews used them. Me being a novice, that was all I needed to know. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261cm/

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #42  
I agree that the bigger heavier saws cut faster so less time to get fatigued, it's a balance I guess. BTW, what kind of mill did you get? Nevermind, I see it... Let us know how it works...

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #43  
You really need to decide if the saw you want will be for felling or not. I will recommend the MS261 if you don’t need it for felling large trees. I have an 18” bar on mine but it would pull a 20” easy. I’m good with the Stihl anti kickback(green) chains if you keep them sharp.

Someone commented there is no difference between home owner grade and the pro saws. I’m not sure if he was referring to working on them or not. If repairing them, I would agree. If using them, not so. I have an MS 250 and a MS 261. They are roughly the same size, the 261 being bigger. The 261 I think weighs less than 1 pound more. The 261 is a pro saw and it has so much more power than the 250. Probably what you are getting mostly with a pro saw is more power and less weight.

Some other features that may or may not be important in the Stihl line of pro saws. They are making them auto tune. The carb adjusts for altitude and temps automatically. My MS261 does NOT have this feature, not because I didn’t want it but because they didn’t have it in stock. The oiling system is adjustable and the air cleaner is better and easier to swap out.
I recently upgraded from an older MS290 to a MS261 CM. Difference is huge to me. I've been cutting a bunch of dead ash, some up to 28" in diameter and very tall(forest trees) and the saw just zips through them. It's very light and easy to use and the auto tune works great. BTW I am just about to turn 70

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #44  
Well my brother is a sthil guy and I’m a Husqvarna guy.
they’re not light my any means of imagination.
but I have 2, 1 old and a new 1 that I changed flywheel and coil to non epa or unlimited rev and modded main carb jet to 32:1.
The old parts saw out cut my new saw, so I modded it too.
now these will eat healthy. I can burn a gallon maybe more an hour.
but your back is ready for a break.
I’m referring to husky 3120. As in 120 Cc.
The 395 is also good. 95 Cc. And preferred by most who don’t truly LOG.
But I have never run a saw that impressed me more if you just need gutless horsepower.
notice or make sure the gas and oil caps will allow you to refill while in place for a mill is something to Consider.
Use a good 2 cycle oil and keep your warranty clean and valid if you are milling.and don’t wrench..
I built my old saw from parts on eBay… split cases, new bearings crank, aftermarket cylinder. Etc.
Mills eat saws especially 50:1 ratio saws. Most really don’t know how to protect a 2stroke.
Let them warm up, like a vehicle.
Don’t fire it up and go wide open.
2 don’t dog or bog the saw, let it work and it doesn’t hurt to ease off on the throttle just a tad, and not run wide open for a 12’ foot log.
I’m 52 now and remember running Homelite 650’s and 750’s and thought they were kings in the 80-90’s.
My husky has been re-crowned.
This is also a $2k saw. Get what you pay for.
oh I run a 36” & 48” bar. Effortlessly.

best of luck.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #45  
I'm 58 years old and I'm in decent but not excellent physical condition. Average strength I would say.

I am not a chainsaw guy. In other words, I've been using decent consumer Stihl chainsaws all my life but I don't know anything about cc's, chain types, tuning, modding etc etc. Primary use has been yard and property cleanup as well as cutting firewood. I have the proper safety gear and a solid understanding of basic chainsaw safety.

But now I have ordered a saw mill. It should be here in a few weeks. It can handle up to 26" diameter trees.

My primary saw is a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar. I don't remember which one but it is about 3 years old, bought new and was the larger of the Farm Boss saws. In my mind I'm thinking 350 but it might be a 271. I don't even know if the Farm Boss came in a 350. Anyway, it is a decent saw. I suspect it is a consumer level saw with a "farm" designation for marketing.

This weekend I felled several pines that were around 12 inches in diameter. The Farm Boss was okay but not great. I also recently cut up a much larger oak blow down (probably 25ish diameter) and the Farm Boss struggled a lot.

So I am going to be felling larger trees than 12" pines in the near future. My son-in-law will be there most of the time (we'll own the saw mill together). He has a big tuned pro-level Stihl. He has a good bit of felling experience. But I feel like I need a bigger saw for myself. I'm thinking 25-28" bar.

What I need to know is what I can get for this job that is: 1) Reasonably light. (Again, I'm 58). 2) Appropriately powered for cutting down large but not huge trees. 3) Reasonably safe for my age and experience and 4) What type of chain for my age and experience from a safety vs efficiency standpoint.

Hi young fellow! I'm 20 years older than you.

I gave my Stihl 028 to my son-in-law and bought an electric Echo. Before the 028 I had a 032. The 032 was the better saw but it finally died. I had the 028 for about ten years. Simply, it became more strong than I.

I now have the Echo electric and I love it. It runs out of power at about the same time as do I. Thus, I need to recharge it and that forces me to recharge me.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #46  
Are you using a green or yellow chain? Yellow is more aggressive.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #47  
I am a few years older than you and have been clearing an acre of dense woods this past summer with maple, oak, and pine.
I have 20" Husqvarna so I have been doing similar work with similar equipment.
This isn't what you asked for but this may fix part your problem if you haven't used one before.

View attachment 720815

I can do it while on the bar, it is fast and accurate.
I keep a small vise mounted on a table to clamp the bar and it takes maybe 5 minutes.
I make about 4 strokes per tooth and it is as good or better than new.
I saw a noticeable difference in how much I could do in a day,

Others can help you pick out a chain saw but I would recommend getting this to help with fatique.
Hope this helps.
If you have an ACE hardware that is also a Stihl dealer nearby, you can get one for half-price on Black Friday.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #49  

I remember from racing, people trying to use horsepower to make up for lack of ability.
Nothing wrong with deciding to buy a pro-style saw but your saw should not have any trouble doing the work you describe.
I suggest that if your saw cannot easily cut 12" pines in might be the operator - or the condition of the saw/chain and bar.
or both. I suggest you find a good local husky or stihl dealer and tell him of your problems.
If you buy a brand new pro style saw and have a dull chain and worn out grooves in the bar, it will wear you out very quickly.

Back in the days as a pro arborist, I would train guys to use a saw andtell them to keep it out of the dirt. They wouldn't!
I'd let them run a dull saw for half a day and then they were more teachable.

While you are at the dealer, buy a plastic bucking wedge and learn how to use it. It will help tremendously!

My go to saw is a Husky 359. It is no longer sold but it is 59cc and weighs about 12 pounds. I use a 20" bar and it will eat 12" pines effortlessly. It is about 12 years old and runs like new.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #50  
Your Farm Boss is a decent saw that is pro grade and 50.2cc, 2.6 KW and 2.49BHP. It can handle up to a 20" bar. I'm early 60s and have that same Farm Pro model saw. But I see your point. I wanted a bigger bar and have been planning to get a sawmill. But I may just have someone else help fell the 75 foot pines that I don't feel comfortable with. This saw does handle almost everything I feel comfortable cutting on my own. I'm a little concerned operating a much larger pro saw that would make enough difference to justify the expense and potential risk of operating it.