Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator

/ Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator
I called my favorite Industrial Diesel parts department. Joyce said the 114399-77710 number has been changed to 119660-77712.

/ Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator #12  
Can I ask which company is your favorite industrial diesel supplier?

I maintain a number of diesels here and I'm always looking for good sources.

I find part numbers to routinely be bugbears. Manuals get updated, the same part gets a new number because that's what it is called in a newer machine, and my #1 favorite is rebranding with a new part number to make it exclusive, some commonly available part. (I'm going round and round on a 300 micron filter with 1/8" NPT threads. It was an assembler specific part made by one of the big suppliers that was taken over by another manufacturer that merged the product lines (more items switching part numbers). I still have no official word on the correct part...)

All the best,

Peter

Industrial Diesel in Norfolk, Virginia 757-857-5391 Fuel Injection Systems Repair | Norfolk, VA | Industrial Diesel Inc.

THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED. I don't know how to add RESOLVED to the subject line, but I isolated the problem.

The short circuit is not in the regulator. Instead, it appears to be in a two-relay circuit i added to implement remote starting by our solar power system. I cut various wires until the short disappeared, and it's clear the relays are the location.

Odd, because these have been working find since 2012. I'll have to dig deeper or replace the relays entirely.

Thanks for all the advice.

--- Mike

/ Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator #14  
Industrial Diesel in Norfolk, Virginia 757-857-5391 Fuel Injection Systems Repair | Norfolk, VA | Industrial Diesel Inc.

THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED. I don't know how to add RESOLVED to the subject line, but I isolated the problem.

The short circuit is not in the regulator. Instead, it appears to be in a two-relay circuit i added to implement remote starting by our solar power system. I cut various wires until the short disappeared, and it's clear the relays are the location.

Odd, because these have been working find since 2012. I'll have to dig deeper or replace the relays entirely.

--- Mike
Mike, get yourself name brand and reliable relays. The cheaper ones tend to arc or the fulcrum inside corrodes and the relay switching isn't complete. I've been using Omron relays for decades with no failures for both solar and for electrical projects.

/ Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator #15  

--- Mike
Congratulations on finding the issue.

FWIW: Many relays can be opened up and serviced, but I am on @bmaverick's page that quality relays are the way to go. I also tend to try to load relays at less than half or a quarter of their rating to help their reliability. Relays don't like to sit either; the contacts and fulcrum tend to stick. It is a mechanical item after all.

For mission critical items, I tend to move up to solid state which have switching ratings ten to one hundred times standard relays, but they have their own issues.

All the best,

Peter

Congratulations on finding the issue.

FWIW: Many relays can be opened up and serviced, but I am on @bmaverick's page that quality relays are the way to go. I also tend to try to load relays at less than half or a quarter of their rating to help their reliability. Relays don't like to sit either; the contacts and fulcrum tend to stick. It is a mechanical item after all.

For mission critical items, I tend to move up to solid state which have switching ratings ten to one hundred times standard relays, but they have their own issues.

All the best,

Peter
The short is not in my relays. I disconnected the battery and checked all wires on the generator with an ohmmeter. I found the short between the two wires powering the fuel solenoid, of all things.

The black wire had one strand poking out toward the adjacent red wire, which had no insulation at that point. I dressed the wires, applied Goop to the bare wires, and slipped shrinkable tubing over them.

Tomorrow I'll install a better fuse holder and restore all the wires I clipped searching for the short. I expect the generator to start right up.

--- Mike

/ Need advice on regulator for Yanmar L100 10HP diesel generator #18  
Yay! I hope that it all works now.

All the best,

Peter